Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burd66

Daylilies on a Budget

burd66
15 years ago

I have recently become addicted to daylilies, especially spiders and unusual forms. I want to add to my spider collection, but am on a budget. Can anyone recommend quality mail order nuseries that offer daylilies less than $15.00?

Comments (23)

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I don't know how many spiders or unusual forms are here but this is a fantastic seller of very good quality inexpensice daylilies. I have seen daylilies on the site listed at $5.00 so its certainly worth your time to check thru the listings to see what appeals to your taste and budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlybird Daylilies

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Another place you can look is the Lily Auction. They have a catagory for daylilies starting at under $7.00. I have seen them start at $1.99 and I just saw a bunch close that were listed at $5.00 with no bids.

You do need to read carefully as most (but NOT all) listed now will be for spring delivery. And if you get multiple wins from the same seller then the shipping turns out to be very reasonable.

Do your homework for good sellers, we have had a bunch of posts here about the LA and sellers on the LA, both good and bad.

• kimkats
    15 years ago

I agree with Rita. The Lily auction is an awesome place to get really good lilies at sometimes obscenely low prices. You just need to be able to restrain yourself, because daylilies are addictive enough without adding the excitement of the auction LOL. If your not searching for "special " varieties you can also get some good deals by bidding on seedlings on the LA. They're not named but some are just as pretty as the named ones.
    Good luck and happy gardening.
    Kim

• random_harvest
    15 years ago

Marietta Gardens. Pay particular attention to the ones that John lists as 'Outstanding,' 'Choice,' or 'Excellent.' They're great people to do business with. I also like Gilbert H. Wild for good garden plants for a low price and very low shipping cost.

I love the Lily Auction but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner on a budget. Shipping costs can eat up any savings on the plants themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marietta Gardens

• rarejem
    15 years ago

I don't know if their sale is still on, but I got quite a few very nice plants from Aren't I Pretty daylilies, and they were having a wonderful sale... many many nice ones for under $10.

Julie

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Sales are something to hold out for. Mostly going on late summer and in the fall. The deals are often unbelievable. But I have never seen these great deals during the winter buying months nor in the spring when many of us want to plant. But a good plan might be to prepair a garden bed in the spring so thats its ready for future planting as soon as the daylilies arrive and then set some money aside.

Awhile back this forum was buzzing with all sorts of sales posted that many people took advantage of. One I remember which I think is still going on, is Christys clump sale were things were listed I believe from $10-20 but instead of two or three fans the clump sizes were huge and top quality. I wish I could remember some of the other sales but my brain is going blank.

• phaltyme21
    15 years ago

I just went through their offerings and oh my!, they have
    some beauties. I can personally vouch for FIRESTORM $7,
    HOLLY DANCER $10, LAKE NORMAN SPIDER $12, ORCHID CORSAGE $9, and RUBY SPIDER $12. There were a great many more that I would also recommend even though all aren't spiders.

Good luck on finding what you like.

Kay-phal

• Nancy Barginear
    15 years ago

Two reasonably-priced and reliable on-line daylily sources are Aren't I Pretty and Sunset Meadow Daylily Farm. Both of these have extensive offerings and great prices. I've had excellent communication and service from these two vendors. A search at Google will easily give you the URLs.

Marietta Gardens is a great source, but their plants are a little more expensive. Great quality, though, and great people to deal with.

Nancy

• burd66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful sites!! :) I will have lots of fun window shopping... Can anyone tell me the site for Christy's Clump sale?

Margaret

• lynxe
    15 years ago

I wasn't aware that Christy held clump sales....guess I'll be keeping my eye out for one of them.

Nobody's mentioned Dan Hansen, Margaret. (He's Ladybug Daylilies.) You should check out his Dan's Bargain Basement page on his web site. Now, I must admit that I've not bought from him, but everybody in daylily land whom I know raves about the quality of his plants and about what a great and honest seller he is. His bargain page says that he's selling the listed plants for $8.59 each, and that you'll be getting at least three fans. From what I've heard, you'll often be getting many more than three. Not only that, Ned Roberts sold his intros at Ladybug, and many of his plants are to be had there (on the web site, not necessarily on the bargain page).

Another hybridizer's web site to check out is Dan Bachman's Valley of the Daylilies. In addition to his own intros, he will list a General listing, a Spider listing, and a Nostalgia listing (and the Nostalgia listing has overlap with the Spider one, if my memory's correct). Many of these plants can be had very inexpensively. So keep checking his web site for updates.

Do not forget Clayton Burkey, at his Hickory Hill Gardens. Clayton lives at a high altitude, and from what I hear, many of his plants may be on the small side as a result. But he puts out a very large online catalog, usually in February I think, containing many, many spiders and unusual forms. Many of those are older, and unfortunately, many are not available until the fall of the year. But you may want to look into his plants anyway.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

She has been running a sale since sometime in September. You need to e-mail for the list sales list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christies Daylilies

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I forgot to add that the great thing about the clump sales is that there are so many fans for each selection ordered. So that means you can split them with a friend if you want and everything would be half price.

I have seen lots of pictures of the clumps shipped out and it truely is amazing. There is lots going on about the clump sales and lots of posting at the other daylily forum.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

Christies stopped shipping 10/1. I never saw anything about a clump sale on her site, but she will match prices with another nursery. You just have to email her to let her know where you found it cheaper.

Ridaught I know was having a clump sale but they stopped shipping 10/13. It was 4 fans for the price of 2.

For some reason it is not letting me put the link in so here it is for Ridaught Daylily Farm:
    http://www.ridaught.com/index.html

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Sorry, too late for the sales but I asure you it was going on. I don't know if it was even mentioned on her website as you had to get the sales list by e-mail. I think she was cutting down inventory before winter and some people got some great deals.

• txaggiegirl
    15 years ago

All very good suggestions and would like to add Gilbert H. Wild and Son (Missouri). Wild was a huge hybridizer in the early 50s and the family seems to have a good job of keeping the traditions going, offering new hybrids, and keeping prices down. The DL they send are large and bloom sometimes the next month! I confess that I mostly buy through their $2 and $3 dollar sales that they have each year. I would encourage anyone to get on their mailing list.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

About not recommending the Lily Auction to a beginner because of the possibility of shipping costs eating up possible savings.

This is a great time to buy fromn the LA and save on shipping costs. Most sellers are now shipping in the spring (but be sure and check indivual auctions to make sure) so you pay the box charge for the first daylily shipped. Its always listed but usually priority mail and around $9.00. Then for anything else won from that same seller it just become the additional shipping which is usually $1.00 So shipping on each subquent auction adds only $1.00 for each won. Very reasonable.

Look thru the listings and choose only those sellers that have lots listed and keep listing for spring. This way you have all winter to get your daylilies. Watching the auction for afew days before bidding on anything will help you choose.

You can always e-mail a seller and ask if the listings are going to continue thru the winter. I was looking at the seller Rhondas as she has come highly recommended by others on this forum.

If you stay in the under $7.00 catagory, bid the minimum, and let anything go that you get outbid on you can have a fabulous garden of daylilies that you paid a small fraction of the cost on as compaired to what they would be listed in a catalog.

Also, you can ask us here for feedback on any seller that gets your attention.

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

Rita,

That sounds like such good advice for anyone wanting to get started and buy several/lots of daylilies to fill a garden. I did this myself on eBay a few years back with regards to other plants besides daylilies. I was able to pay slowly throughout the winter, combine my shipping costs between 3 sellers, and I had a BEAUTIFUL garden of perennials that came in the spring, all paid for a little at a time, and with very low shipping costs. I was not paying attention to daylilies then.......don't know why, but they did not start grabbing my attention until a couple of years ago after I moved and bought the house I am in now. I think that is a wonderful idea, and thanks for the great advice. It sounds like you have done just a little of that in your years of gardening, huh?? LOL ;>) Jan G.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

No, actually I have never done it this way. I have never bought ANYTHING on e-bay much less plants. I know it sounds as if I buy lots from the Lily auction but really I mostly buy directly from my favorite sellers website and only alittle from the LA. Last winter and all last spring into summer I bought nothing from the LA. Rarely even looked and did not bid. Late summer added afew from the LA and now have some coming in the spring and will most likely get more.

• sharons2
    15 years ago

I'll second Sunset Meadow Daylily Gardens:
    (www.gardeneureka.com/SUNSE/)
    They have a LOT of daylilies for $5 each. Shipping is $10 plus $0.50 per plant over four plants.

Also, New Every Morning Daylily Gardens has a lot of daylilies for $3 and $4. Shipping is $10, over five plants $15.
    (http://www.gardeneureka.com/NEWEV/default.htm)

I've also been tempted by the Gilbert H. Wild and Son fall sales.

I've never ordered from any one of these companies, but I understand the first two are highly rated. They are on my list for future orders after I visit the local Daylily Show next June.

Sharon

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

I have ordered a lot of daylilies and Oriental lilies from Gilbert H. Wild & Sons. I can speak highly of them from experience. They dig their plants only after you place your order and are ready to ship them. I have never had anything from them that I was not satisfied with. Jan G.

• Nancy Barginear
    15 years ago

New Every Morning -- really nice people to do business with. I had a very positive experience buying from them. I'm glad you added them, Jan.

Nancy

• burd66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Again, thanks to all for the helpful advice. I have visted all of the suggested sites and have picked out several daylilies for spring. This is my first time on the forum and it has been a pleasure.

Margaret

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

We like to help people find more daylilies that they have to have. Our budgets and tastes might be different from one person here to another but we all want more daylilies :-))