Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (9)

• dementieva
    11 years ago

I really appreciate the addition of photo uploads.

It is great to be able to post photos without going through a third party host site, and if people use the photo uploader here, they should be able to feel confident that those photos will never disappear as long as the site exists.

Thanks!

Nate

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

It IS so much easier to post here than through another site. Especially if you are just trying to do a few pictures. I haven't figured out yet if you can load more than one at a time here though. Would it work to put more than one pic in a file and then upload that file?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I like the new way of uploading photos but hope you keep the old way as optional. My "album" site gives me a total of how many times a picture I posted has been viewed and I like that feature from them and want to keep it...I also think that eliminating some of the less frequently used sites or consolidating similar topics under one header would be useful.....My last suggestion would be to remind you of one of my favorite anagrams: K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid). Ease of use is always one of my priorities after a hard day in the garden......Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Search function: could be improved so that you don't have to read through a ton of replies when trying to find information on a specific criteria. Just have the actual post within a thread show. If someone wants to go back and read the entire thread, they can just follow a link to open the entire thread.

Reading threads : If there could be a function which after you've read a thread and someone else posts a reply, you don't have to scroll through all the previous posts/pictures you've already read but go to the newest post. There is always the option to scroll back up and reread anything but just have a function where it jumps to the last post that I haven't read yet.

Pictures: Would like to be able to post several pics within a thread but limit it to 5. Sometimes the photo hosting sites are not working correctly. Most people prefer posting directly onto the forums versus using the Gallery options.
    Also, GW should have a feature which photos cannot be clicked on and copied by anyone. Several unscrupulous people have pirated photos for their personal use in reselling of plants.

Julia

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Yes, thank you for adding this new option of picture uploading (from computer!)

Right now, most important to me, personally: Julia's paragraph #3 - exactly what I was thinking. Up to 5 in one post would be nice (esp for us here in Daylily forum) :)

Also, Julia's paragraph #2 about reading from the last unread post (if it could work in this format of the website). Also here, possibility of quoting (though it's not that important).

Search - I only used it several times and it was ok, but in most cases I couldn't find what I was looking for, specifically :) Yet, I found many links to posts, which is good. They were not in chronological order. And, I had better results searching thru Google.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Oh, couple more I thought of.

I remember somebody suggested changing the orange daylily image on our main page.

What's the difference between On-topic discussion page and Conversations??

Maybe we can put basic HTML usage for posting somewhere in plain sight, so people can use it (for example, how to post a link, make a word bold, etc)

I understand that Ads are necessary, but pop-ups are soo annoying, every time I click (of course it might be my browser).

You are on FB and Pinterest. Are you on Twitter too? :)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Ability to edit a post AFTER it has been posted to a thread. Even though we have the ability to preview our posts BEFORE we post and correct any errors, many times we miss adding something or need to correct a mistake. The only way now to add/correct is to do another post.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

When we use the "Image file to upload", select the photo, do a "Preview Message", make a change to text added, then do another "Preview Message" the image is lost and we have to add the image again. Would be helpful if the image would not be lost when doing a second "Preview Message" before submitting the post.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara