Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scapes - Oh No!

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 16:34

A couple of days ago I noticed that the Busy Being Blue that I got as a bonus from Maryotts about a month and a half ago is sending up two flower scapes. I guess it still thinks it's in California.

This is New England, and though we've had a really mild fall so far, it's now turning cold. Should i do anything like cut them off, or just let it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scapes - Oh No!

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 17:58

I just had to cut off 2 scapes from Mal who is sending up rebloom scapes. I brought them into the house and have bloomed twice. Now with the snow (we had a bit last night) that's about all you can do.

o

I always let the first scape bloom on a new plant just to make sure it's the right plant. Even if you have a frost and the scape dies, the plant should be ok. Like Marric said, you can cut the scape if it gets close to blooming and save some of the plant's energy.

Nate

o

I broke off all the remaining scapes earlier this week, with hard freezes called for!

o

I broke off the scapes and brought them inside. Don't know if they're far enough along to bloom, but we're getting into hard freeze time.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 8:30

How big are your largest ones? The larger they are, the more chance of them blooming. On mine the 3 largest blooms have just finished but the smaller ones, 1/2-1", are turning yellow and falling off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here