Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Where do you get your garden plant labels?

tepelus
16 years ago

I would like to buy some of those metal ones in bulk so I can have my plants labeled, particularly daylilies and hostas since I will be collecting a lot of those, but it's just nice to have them there to remember what other plants are too. Where do you recommend? I'll be wanting varying heights and probably even pot markers too for when I start growing some seeds this coming winter/spring.

Karen

Comments (25)

• janepa
    16 years ago

Here is where I get mine, and I really like them -
    http://www.eonindustries.com and I use the Brother P-touch Model PT-1500PC label maker with the TZ-S251 1" exra strength adhesive tape (industrial series). This label maker is connected to my computer and I really like the P-touch and the tape.
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: EON INDUSTRIES

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I too have bought from Eon, but I have also gotten mine at Paw Paw. They're a bit cheaper there, and shipping is included in the price. Here's a link for you.
    I have the Brother PT-2700 labeler and use the 1" industrial tape TZ-S251 on my markers.
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Paw Paw Everlast labels

• okbt
    16 years ago

I buy my metal markers from nrb44 on the LA under the tools heading. I am a dope when it comes to making labels on my computer,so I get the Avery white return address labels and write the info I want in pencil.Then I stick it on the marker and cover it with a clear Averey address label(it is a little bigger than the return label).They went through last winter and this summer and still look like new.Pencil does not fade in the sun like markers or ink.Some use paint pens on the metal markers.

Betsy

• tsbccowboy
    16 years ago

I have used both Paw Paw Everlast and Eon markers. Paw Paw's are cheaper but I prefer the Eon markers. They are thicker and have a much nicer edge. I have been cut (small nuisance cuts) by the square edges on the Paw Paw markers.

The following pictures are my progression on markers.

Paw Paw Everlast Label. This marker can get knocked of the stakes.

Paw Paw marker with Brother P-Touch label. The square edges can cut your fingers.

Eon marker with Brother P-touch label. It is thicker with a nicer edge.

• weldontx
    16 years ago

I'm really glad I found this post!! After doing a little research, I fount a Brother PT 2100 today at Office Depot. With the in-store discount and a $20 coupon, I got a really good deal. I have been looking for something durable for plant pots as well as markers. I can already see that I am going to really like this label maker!

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

I use the industrial strenght tape for the labelmaker and it works great. A little harder to find in stores, but I find it online pretty easy. I use the Paw Paw labels but those Eon's look nice!

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

I bought 600 of the Eon labels last year and I'm very pleased with them. I also use the brother ptouch label maker with the TZ tape. I did find out that I like the longer metal markers for my daylilies. Blessings to all, Mona

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I've got hundreds of markers,lots of Eon ones, lots of the Paw Paw ones, and haven't gotten cut as yet.....to each his own....Eon's great also...I'm just all about saving money where I can these days. At first, I too bought the labels in the first photo shown above, but quickly learned that the ones with the stakes going through the actual label are much better, and tend to last lots longer.:)
    Jan

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I make my own copper plant labels. I buy tooling copper and cut it into 1/2" x 3" pieces and hole punch a hole in one end. Then I cut a wire coat hanger into 5 pieces with a wire cutter and using a pair of pliers, I bend each piece through and around so that the copper tag is securely at the top of the hanger.

The copper tooling is soft enough that by writing firmly on it, it will indent permanently. I have been making these tags for years and years and have always been able to read the tag since the indentation is still there.

I tuck them behind each perennial in my flowerbeds at ground level. If I wish to know the name, I just go behind the plant, pull out the tag and read the name.

I have tried wooden tags, plastic tags, original plant tags from the nursery that came with the plant, venetian blinds, etc. I needed a cheap permanent tag to mark my perennials and this method costs me about $.15 each to make. If I only had 100 or so to do, I would just buy the tags, but since I have 15 times that many I needed a homemade way of making permanent tags.

Brenda

• FlowerGardener
    16 years ago

Some folk's use PVC plumbing pipe in a smaller diameter to suit their needs and then attach a waterproof label such as those made with the Brother PT labelmaker. I use the seefine plantmarkers and attach a label made with my Brother labelmaker. The seefine plantmarkers are not cheap but they last for years and years. The zinc plantmarkers do not stand up in our climate and disintegrate within a couple years those were the first kind I wasted my money on.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

I use the eon marker with the p-touch label. Mine look just like the picture. When I loose a plant, I just put a new label over the old one. I have used the same markers for the past 5 years and I have salt in my soil, and they have held up. I also ordered the small markers for my calla lilies and other bulbs, so I would know where I planted them, but that was not such a good idea, The tall ones are the way to go. I get the p-touch label refills at SAM's they are about 1/2 the cost of what they are at the office supply stores. I like to use diffrent colors of labels, each daylily source has its own color, so I know where I got the daylily. Barbra,

• missylin
    15 years ago

I just looked on the EON site. There are many markers. Are the prices for one marker? Yikes! They are called rose markers and nursery markers. Which would be good for Daylilies? Do you push them low into the ground and sort of hide them, or what? How high are the stakes? Could you write on them with markers? I was confused when I first read this thread as I thought the markers are what you wrote with.

• missylin
    15 years ago

I looked at the Paw Paw site. Their "plant markers" looked a little more attractive, but it is hard to tell. I do have a lable maker someone gave me for my classroom, but the letters are the kind that stick up. I am not sure if the labels would fall off. I just happen to have it home today because I ran out of the tape. It says "P Touch Home and Hobby." It says M tape on it. I guess that's the type of tape it uses. Does anyone know if the kind of tape for this machine would work in the outdoors?. IT's a very thin tape, I use it for labeling some things in my classroom. Boy, is the tape expensive too. Would this machine work for labeling my daylilies that are coming? I had originally thought of just writing with a special marker on the plant signs I buy. I guess the problem with that is that if the plant dies, the name is still on there. Wow, I had not thought of all the problems. Suggestions? I want something that is as pretty as possible, while being economical due to my teacher income.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

missylin,

Might I suggest a test?

Also, I found some copper plant markers at Target for @ $5 for 10. Comes with a chinese wax marker, but I put clear adhesive labels on them. So far so good. Also, noticed they had short copper markers in the dollar section, think it was 5 for $1. I really like the copper as it blends in and doesn't scream at me from across the garden. They may not be as inexpensive, but I like them and I don't have 1000s to tag, LOL!

• missylin
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'd like to hear which ones of the eons etc. you chose. I'm still not sure what to do! The copper sounds nice, but in Florida it will turn green quickly. However, it might be nice. I'm going to check into what they look like. The one closest to me traded the gardening dept. for food. Everyone carries food, I was upet. They had a nice gardenign dept. For now, until I decide, the daylily gardener I bought my first batch from is eending the blind slats. I just have to decide on the marker to use. I don't think I'll stick with those, but it's usable for now.

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Missylin - I was using Paw-Paw Cap Style labels (C - on the orderform), but found that the "cap" would come off on a few of them after a year or so of regular garden abuse. Most of them are fine... Here is a pic:

I just bought their Miniature Labels (M - on the orderform), so we will see how that goes.
    Here is a pic:

• rarejem
    15 years ago

I was going to start a new posting when someone was talking about plant labels, but searched first and found this and figured that I would add it here instead... hopefully it gets found if people are interested. I found this trick in a magazine, and although the markers aren't as attractive as the commercial ones, when I am doing hundreds of seedlings, I am more worried about cost effective than beauty. Heavy duty plastic knives with either permanent marker or a printed label work wonders. They are way tougher than any commercial plastic markers I have found, go into the ground very easily without breaking, and are quick and cheap! I buy mine at Costco in a box of 600 for around $9.

I use them for everything from marking my seedling trays, to marking the actual garden perrennials.

Julie

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

yep, used plastic knives for my seedling pots with printed labels. Works great. Broke them in half, two for one!

• njmomma
    15 years ago

JUST today I received my labels and stakes from www.gardenmarker.com

They are perfect. I will take a pic tomorrow to show you. I paid to have them preprint the labels for me. They look awesome!

I highly recommend them. They have great customer service too - very responsive!
    I will be ordering from them again.

• dragonkeep
    15 years ago

I tried the plastic spoons with Sharpie id on them but those faded badly. I got cheap metal Venetian blinds, cut them into 5" lengths and set of metal stamps. One hammer blow on the letter stamp gets me a good size indent into the metal. Lasts forever. Also, like Brenda above, I use cut coathangers to hang them.

Barb

• ladydonna
    15 years ago

HEY "jas4141"...you are not a cheapo! Thats how I did mine! It's called 'recycling' and it works well, but even tho I used a Sharpie to write with, old Sol faded the writing out. My husband ordered me 200 of those 'professional' looking metal name stakes from Lee Valley catalog. Talk about expensive,Ugh! Anyway, I still use the blind method in the greenhouse mostly. I like the plastic knife idea too!

• sarann7
    15 years ago

I am new at this, but I use the Paw-Paw labels and they work fine. I buy 100 for about 40.00 They ship quickly and work great. I buy the ones that are 21". I figure the
    taller ones will go further down in the soil and hold better and won't get lost in the foliage when the daylilies
    grow larger. Good luck.

• njmomma
    15 years ago

Ok, here is a pic of mine with the preprinted label. The label is silver and has UV coating.

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

OK, while a few of you are sharing your recycle ideas I'll share mine. This is just for temporary markers while I try to decide what kind of permanent markers to buy.

Anyway, I reused the plastic cups that I started my seedlings in. After transplanting the seedlings I cut the flat sides out of the cups, made a point on one end, and used a grease pencil to write the cross on the inside white portion. The grease pencil won't fade in the sun like a sharpee does and the writing will stay put even in water so long as it doesn't get rubbed off. Just for added assurance I sometimes face the writing to the north side so that it does not get direct sun anyway.