Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19702054

Month by month

User
10 years ago

The number of Daylilies in my gardens has been increasing the last couple years and I've read many articles on how to take care of them. But I'd benefit so much if someone would take the time to let me know what they do month by month. I found a short and sweet guide organized by month for Iris and it has been a big help in keeping them healthy.
Anyone have brief month by month advice to share?
Thanks, Ann

Comments (7)

• taurustendency
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ive never ran across anything like that before. not even for iris. however, daylilies are alot like iris in the way that they have early, midseason, late, and repeat bloomers...so i would imagine it would be hard to do a month to month calender for them. and all the zones are different so there really is no set schedule. i guess you have a pretty vague schedule for your iris that you have adjusted accordingly, to your zone.

my earliest bloom this year was during the first week of june. however i still have a few late and rebloomers still going. and much of that is determined by the seasons weather. last year was hot and dry, and i did not stil have blooms in mid october.

then there is also the foliage habit to take into consideration. although i am not an expert grower of iris (and may be wrong about the assumption that i make next), i do have 25 different types of bearded iris, and do not believe that there is a truly evergreen iris. in other words, iris as a whole have a predicted pattern of growth and dormancy.

on the other hand, daylilies as a whole, do not. there are dormants, semi evergreens, and evergreens. you can figure out which types you have and look up their specific foliage habits and base a schedule on each plant. but in the end, i dont think it would help much.

i think there are just too many variables at play to be able to give you a clear cut answer. im sorry. however, if you have a green thumb and unserstand how plants work in general, you can probably create your own schedule. just like any other plant, you can fertilize during the growth season (if you want), stop before the plant hits its natural domancy, spray for pests and diseases during their particular risk times (if you need/want to), and prune when its time (if you want). i put in all those little "if you wants" only because daylilies really do not need much. just good well drained soil, and proper ventilation through the foliage. some people spray, some people dont. some people feed, some dont. some prune, some dont. but none of it is absolutely vital for a healthy plant. just regular good gardening practice is usually good enough for these guys.

those of us who hybridize (and i say this timidly, because im still a newbie to hybridizing) or have other specific interests in daylilies tend to baby our plants a little, but its usually to suit our own needs and help us reach our certain goals. however if your just a regular gardener, then i dont think you need to concern yourself too much with going above and beyond, because they really are one of the easiest plants out there to grow.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for taking the time share good advise.
    Here is the site for month by month with Iris.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schreiner's

• taurustendency
    10 years ago

thanks for sharing, i was wondering where you got one!

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

I see you are an Okie, too! Maybe I can help a bit.

A month or so ago I fertilized with a broad spectrum fertilizer broadcast over the daylily beds. I bought it at TLC in OKC under the label Tree and Shrub fertilizer. It has microminerals in addition to the Big Three! If you keep a journal of your observations, you'll note about this time that the daylilies are getting ugly! But the temperatures are promising Fall. That's when I fertilize. Don't ask how much. I just fill the little Scott's hand held spreader and walk the beds as I turn the handle. Refill and go again until I've covered them.

Years back I would carefully measure several favorite fertilizers and dig in around each clump, but I've found this easier method quite satisfactory.

The daylilies will respond by putting on a flush new growth of green which I think plumps the crowns for next year. The gardens look as good as they did in the spring now.

After freeze, you can make all kinds of work for yourself in the garden, but it will be rather obvious and will depend on what you'll want to do to keep your beds "clean", and the degree of what might or might not be presentable in your area.

Or you can wait until you see new growth in the spring to clean the beds, and the old daylily leaves will provide winter protection.

Scotts Winterizer is a good fertilizer to build bulk below the ground if you want, and can be applied after daylilies go dormant. This is totally optional but will give your daylilies a healthy start in Spring.

February 15 usually begins a warming trend, so weed seeds will be germinating. Use your pre-emergent before this warmup. After that has been watered in good, you can fertilize in early March.

When I had a commercial daylily garden, by March 15 I could usually begin shipping to the southern zones. This is a good time for the next month to move daylilies if you want them in a new location.

If you use Preen to minimize weeds, be sure to spread it again over any areas where you have disturbed the soil.

Note in your journal when you see the first scapes. At that point you stop digging any daylilies. Time to put down new mulch if needed. You can still plant daylilies if you have orders coming.

The next fertilizer you put down can be an organic like Milorganite which will deepen your bloom colors and be useful to the garden because the soil is warming up. Be sure to do this between first scape and June 1, just in time to have them at their prime for show. Organic fertilizer may take a bit longer to take effect, so don't wait too long. Watch your scapes closely. If you notice browning of bract tissue, it is an indication they need more water. It's really harmless, and depends on whether you are going to be showing or just growing and enjoying. After show, who cares? ha

If you have used a pre-emergent, check the label for recommended spacing of application. You don't want late summer weeds. Your gardening is now just for enjoyment of bloom. Spent scapes can be bent over above the first bract to save the scape for possible proliferations. (pod setting can increase life of scape) If it browns down, cut it down into the foliage, but don't pull it until it loosens. A new crown and fan will be forming under the scape for next season's bloom.

Watch for the August foilage browning down about three months after last fertilizing and don't worry. If daylilies are heat or drought stressed, this is rather common. In severe heat, some may appear to go dormant. In Oklahoma, we expect these extremes! Back full circle to mid-September, you'll fertilize again, the rain will return, and daylilies will be happy. Don't rush on this September fertilizing, because you could cause crown rot. Take an August trip to the Mountains! Daylilies would if they could! Let the daylilies have a hot summer rest. Some may continue to bloom gloriously, and those get prime frontage next spring!

Hope this helps you relax and enjoy your garden.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

And after that very long rendition, here's the shorter version.

Yesterday we visited the road side water well graciously open to the public for a donation. Under the "splash" of the spigot were old neglected daylilies. So I am sure this will work. It did there.

Just give them a drink of water. Maybe more than once a month. ha

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judyannz7--you gave me a good chuckle!
    I appreciate you sharing your expertise. I bet many of us will benefit from your post. Thank you! Ann

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

You are most welcome Ann. It was fun reminiscing through a busy year as I typed that "schedule". Now I'm more of the "See how God takes care of it?!?!" type gardener than I was then! I still fertilize and have practically weed free beds. I'm seriously thinking I could fertilize them beyond their borders, though! ha

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living