Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

A year with Stella's Ruffled Fingers

katlynn719
11 years ago

My longest blooming daylily, without a doubt, is STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS. She bloomed for 8 months this year. The last photo was taken today and she still has another bud to go. I don't see any more scapes coming, but she may surprise me.

First bloom in 2012 was March 25 -

{{gwi:979867}}

Here's a clump photo from April 3rd. The scapes are short here due to the wacky Spring weather we had.

June 25 -

Here she is celebrating the 4th of July -

For size comparison, here she is blooming underneath a Crape Myrtle on July 14 -

Blooming with a rain lily and GORDON BIGGS on July 18 -

{{gwi:979872}}

Blooming with a sky vine on August 5th -

Blooming with my scruffy guard dog on August 7th -

{{gwi:979874}}

A drama queen on Sept. 18 -

Blooming with my two favorite garden companions on Sept. 27 -

And today, Oct. 2, she gives me doubles with a poly -

{{gwi:979877}}

This little daylily is a blooming machine. Now I want one in every color!

Kathy

Comments (9)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!!! What a champ you have there,and a very pretty one, too.Wish all daylilies bloomed like that.Thanks for posting this little beauty.BTWjean

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Jean is absolutely right, if only all the daylilies bloomed like this one, wouldn't that be great? Thanks for posting, really enjoyed seeing Stella's Ruffled Fingers doing her thing!!! Avedon

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I just bought 2 - 3 fan plants off the LA from Floota. She said hers blooms for 4 months. That was the sole reason that I bought it, that and I had read another post of yours about its long bloom time for you as well.

My Stellas bloom that long for me here also, so that's 2 colors down, 50 more to go! lol

I want one in all colors also! It would be nice if anyone else gets blooms from other cultivars like this to let us know, so we can get those as well!

Thanks for this post, can't wait to get mine and plant them!

Every now and then I read something about ones being an 'everbloom' I think I'll go lookin' and see what I can come up with.

Your gardens and baby and pooch are beautiful!

Rena'

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Colorado Moon fire bloomed all season for me. I took a picture April 18th and all along, the most recent one I took was yesterday. I don't think it's bloom was qite so constant as your Stella's RF though. those are really pretty pictures. Everything is so neat and organized. Nothing sweeter than little boys and puppies.

kay

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Thanks Kay, I have an order placed with a seller that also sells Colorado Moon Fire. I am going to go add that one to my order. Thanks bunches!

Rena'

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Isn't that something. All this time. Talk about a bang for your buck. Your two gardening companions seem happy about it too.....Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I still haven't gotten it and it sits on my wish list. Maybe next year but I did say no daylilies next year or maybe just 1 or 2 :-).

I like the way you show the time progression. I did notice that the scapes got taller and it did get above the foliage. Very nice.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Yes, Stella's Ruffled Fingers is an amazing daylily that just loves to bloom and bloom and bloom.

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, SRF is registered with a 3.75" bloom and a 19" tall scape. I wish all my daylilies bloomed as much as she does, too!

Avedon, Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

Rena', I think you will enjoy SRF once she settles in. If I remember correctly, she didn't perform much the first year she was planted in my garden. But last year and this year she has been quite impressive!

Kay, There is one thing sweeter than little boys and puppies - grandkids! I sure am enjoying mine - he is a joy.

Maryl, Getting my garden companions to sit still long enough for me to take a photo is quite a challenge, but I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Julia, Yes, SRF shaped up after the first set of scapes. So did most of my other daylilies. But nearly all of the first scapes were short this year.

Rita, SRF is not my favorite color (red is), or my favorite size bloom (I prefer large), or my favorite scape height (prefer 28+),,,but she is such a work horse. Many days this year I've gone out to the garden and she was the only daylily blooming. She's a champ!

Kathy