Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

A season that came and went 2013

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

I so miss seeing all the blooms so was looking at the "changed" AGAIN pbucket and decided to post some pics (I have lots more) of the garden from this past season. Ahhhh, if only we could turn back time. Didn't Cher sing that song ;-).

Next time, my favorites daylilies from the 2013 season. Well, that is going to be hard as I love them all. :-)

Julia

Comments (33)

• shive
    10 years ago

Beautiful show! Thanks for the eye candy!

• growgirl
    10 years ago

Darn you! Now I have that song stuck in my head:) Really nice pictures. It makes me want to go back and look at mine. TFS. It is always nice to see others gardens!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh Julia, I loved looking at your pics.They are all so very pretty,Like you,I love all my daylilies and the other lilies, too.These pictures are really outstanding, so beautiful and so very appreciated this time of year when all the blooms are gone.It seems like a very long time to wait for next season blooms, too.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

As fall shadows lengthen in my garden which soon will slowly go to sleep for the winter, it is fun to look back at the highlights of why we all do what we do. Your landscape is picture book perfect. Thank you so much for sharing it........Maryl

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Your garden is incredible! It's pouring here today so looking at the eye candy was a real treat! Good luck picking your favorite, LOL. Is that a blue hyssop beside your monarda? I have both the blue and the white one. BTW, the bees here seem to prefer the white one. How do you keep it under control? Mine reseeds everywhere. Marg

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is absolutely beautiful, Julia! What a treat. thank you, for sharing your beautiful garden on this dreary day.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. Rainy and windy here today. Trying find all my photos of the dls in Pbucket. Seems I've got alot of duplicates I am having to delete first. We went and got our Flu shots today. I guess that is suppose to be our "treat" instead of "trick". ;-)

Marg: Yes, it is hyssop and yes, it can get out of control. I was planning on dividing several clumps and moving them to along side the back patio but then I had the hand accident so it will have to wait till next spring. The bees love that hyssop. I've not seen the white one. I just pruned some of the clumps of it I have but still have a couple more to do. Monarda can get invasive too so having both of them so close to the dls can pose a problem.

Julia

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

As far as I know Julia, you can get Hyssop in 3 colors from Richters. I bought seeds for the pink, white and the blue. I still have the blue and the white but DH tilled under the pink. I wintersowed the seeds. Hyssop is the herb used in cough candies. Marg

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Your garden is so beautiful, thank you for sharing. Really is brightening up my morning. I decided in the spring I'm going to move all my purple coneflowers into one location so I have a nice mass of them. They have reseeded here & there, so I have them scattered all over the place. I think they would be much prettier like yours, a big splash of color. Or maybe that is monarda, but plan is the same :)

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have several clumps of the purple coneflowers in different beds. Seems the whites or pinks never come back . In the spring when the purple start to come up, I dig up a couple and put them in a bed that doesn't haven't any coming up yet and before you know it, you have another clump.

I'll have to look into getting some pink hyssop seeds. :-)

• hostabff
    10 years ago

Fantastic pictures. All the beds look like the have the tallest daylilies with the biggest blooms!! Beautiful. Now I want to zoom in to check them out more closely. I will look forward to your favorites post. Robyn

• Brad KY 6b
    10 years ago

Incredible! It must take you quite a while to just look at them all each day.
    Brad

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, live heading each evening becomes impossible during peak bloom but I give it my best so I don't have to take off dead blooms when photographing the next day but I always seem to miss a few.

Thanks for the comments. I'm already looking forward to next season and hopefully we have plenty of rain like we did this year.Seems the daylilies loved it.

Julia

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Julia, these are outstanding! I enjoyed seeing your gardens in all their glory. You have a gorgeous yard in a beautiful setting which looks just like paradise. Thanks for the visual treat.

Celeste

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Picture seven, what is the red daylily with extended orange-yellow throat towards left side. Looks like a Carpenter.

Your lilium are magnificent clumps. How about some names?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the comments but your gardens have inspired me to add more things over the years. That is why I love seeing garden pics. :-)

mantis: Yes, it is a Carpenter - MAUI SUNRISE which was spectacular this year.

The lilies are Tiger Lily Yellow Star, Tiger Lily Sweet Surrender,Tiger Lily Red Velvet, Eyeliner, Big Brother, Harbor Light, Cesar and some others that I can't recall the names. I bought several varieties from a place online called Faraway Flowers - Ramona Titus. I think she sells also on the auction.

Meanwhile, i"m back to cleaning up my computer and online photo files. Goodness, can't believe how many pictures I took last year.

Julia

The Tiger Lily ones really do very well here.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Is the downward-facing pink with dark stems also a tiger?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes. It came in a mixed bag of Tiger Lilies so not sure what the name is of the pink one.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, Julia,I have been back at least a dozen times looking at your gorgeous pictures again, the season was just too short to satisfy me.I so love the daylilies.

jean

• pink_petals
    10 years ago

Julia-LOVED your beautiful pictures!!!! Could you please tell me the name of the gorgeous burgundy with pink eye daylily facing the camera in the photo right above the purple coneflower photo? I would love to get that one!

Kathy

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy:
    If this is the one your referring to it is JOAN DERIFIELD - Curt Hanson intro.
    Glad you enjoyed the pics. I so miss seeing all the blooms. Spring can't get here soon enough.:-)

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

This JOAN DERIFIELD is a beauty.I'm back looking at your gardens again.They are soo pretty, till I just keep coming back to look at them all again.I just cant wait till spring to see all the daylilies blooming and the other lilies.I'm hoping all my eye surgeries will be over and I will be able to see everything better.am looking forward to seeing your beautiful gardens again with all the pretty flowers.I am certainly injoying all your pictures of them.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean: Reading your post it looks like your moving forward with your eye surgeries. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and do let us know how your doing. I'm sure everything will go smoothly.

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh JULIA, I do hope you are right, that it gos smoothly and it turns out good.I will find out tomorrow when the dr. will do one eye.this dr is about 35 miles away but,I am told hes very good.Dont stop me from being scared, but, it has to be done, scared or not.Will let you know how it gos.Thanks for caring,

jean

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

YEA, seen the eye doctor yesterday and they done a battery of tests on my eyes.Took the entire afternoon for all these tests.Surgery is to be January 30 on the right eye,he says its very bad, then will do the other eye febuary 6.I am sure not looking forward to this after yesterday, but,it has to be done,or I will go blind he says,and I cant sit and let that happen if it can be (fixed) I want to see the daylilies this spring.

jean

• flowergirl929
    10 years ago

Julia, i love seeing your beautiful pictures. Oh my, how wonderful they were! I want to visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not now though.... sick of seeing white

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

flowergirl929: Another round of polar air coming mid week. Good thing we have snow cover again. Last time all the snow was gone when the first polar express hit here. Guess this winter is the ultimate test for the daylilies here.

Julia

• Brad KY 6b
    10 years ago

Before the first polar air, I was very blessed to be able to get a lot of pine needles from several sources and thoroughly mulch my daylilies.
    Brad

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Julia,
    I keep coming back to this thread over and over. I just love your gardens.
    What is the dark pink one in the front towards the left in the 7th picture?
    Also, in the 3rd picture in the back left is a huge dark one. What is it?
    Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Julia,
    Love seeing your pictures again! Wish I had that much space. I agree, spring cant get here soon enough. Right now it doesnt seem like it will happen, we have 5 inches of snow here. Looks like we will get some melting this coming weekend, hoooray!

Sherry

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure but could be INCA APOTHECARY. And as for the other one, possibly BLACK FALCON RITUAL or it could have been STEALTH BOMBER before I moved it to the back garden. From the position of the bed in the photos, I have mostly Curt's in that area. Space is nice but I have to keep reminding myself that the more gardens you add, the more weeding and maintaining you have to do. I may have to hire help this year and I think the question I'll ask each potential hire is "do you like to weed".

We hit zero degrees on Tuesday night. Snow on the ground here and I just try to keep myself busy with other projects otherwise I start to get anxious about gardening LOL. Woke up this morning to no electric and the house was down to 57 degrees with outside temp at 7 degrees. All is good now and the furnace is trying to get the temp back up inside.Thank goodness the sun is shining bright :)

I haven't finished organizing photos as I had hoped. Perhaps in another week .

Julia

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Now that will cheer a person when its cold and snowing. Just a beautiful dose of colour!.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

So enjoyed your colorful pictures. Could look all daylong. Come soon spring!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?