Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Hurricane Sandy--Stay Safe Forum Friends

avedon_gw
11 years ago

Hope all Forum friends will be all right until this really bad storm is over. Know there are a lot of you out there and that you have your preparations made. Check in when you can, evidently there will be a lot of power outages. Power crews from our area are already en route to the east coast to stand by and be ready to restore power when it is possible. STAY SAFE, everybody. Avedon

Comments (13)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

They expect widespread flooding and lots of very high storm surge all thru the area where Sandy will hit. I am up high so don't have to worry about flooding. But I am worried about power outtages as they say it could be very bad.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Rita, Julia, Celeste, CTC and all you other new Englanders,

I have been thinking about you: Rita since Long Island is mentioned in every report, Julia and CTC since the flooding may be really bad in parts of your state and Celeste since you show us all the lovely tree pics.

You still have time to freeze bags of water (just fill them, seal them and shove them in all the nooks and crannies of your freezer.

Have hands-on blankets and heavier clothes since it might be cold if the power is out, and you know about batteries etc...

And please, STAY AWAY FROM TREES!

Take care of yourself, since you are all favorites of us on the forum. Let us know you are alright as soon as you can, and we will be praying for your safety.

Floota, are you in an area likely to get some of the snow? I know West Virginia is the main target, but some of it is supposed to be as far south as North Carolina.

Ad if you live in New England and I didn't mention you, it is because I didn't realize where you live, not because you don't matter.

kay

• shive
    11 years ago

Thinking of all of you in the east today. Stay safe!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Already the emergency shelters are opening on Long Island and more will open as the storm progresses. Schools are cancelled for Monday and I am sure they will be cancelled Tuesday also. The NYC subway system is shutting down compleatly later today. Evacutions all along the south shore of LI and the Jersey shore.

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

I am surprised Sandy is supposed to make a sharp left turn. Normally a hurricane in its current location would be headed straight at me. Anyway, where ever it ends up I hope that everyone stays safe.

Edward
    Timberlea, NS

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Yes, the weatherguys say this has never happened before with a track like this.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Cold and rainy day today as a cold front has moved through here. Storm predictions for our area are 2-4 inches of rain with high winds. Two days of high winds might cause power outages so we are preparing for that.

Take care everyone.

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

JULIA: They are saying some parts of New York may get 2 feet of snow from this storm, too. Winds on the back side of it.Every one in its path, please stay safe and away from trees.Hope all of you are prepared for power outage with food and water and heat to be warm. Let us all know how you are as soon as possible and we will be praying for your safety.
    RITA" I am glad you are on the north shore of Long Island, since the weather channel says the south shore will be hit with 20 foot waves..They been saying all day about how dangerous this storm is.

Jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I'll be remembering all of my forum friends in the path of Sandy tonight. Prayers for you all.....Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

All is fine here but what a storm it was. Still having some wind and rain but nothing like yesterday and last night.

Still need to go outside and check the roof and be sure we didn't lose any shingles or nothing else can loose.

Hope everyone else is okay.

Julia

• suel41452
    11 years ago

Praying for all in harm's way from Sandy. Glad to hear you're on high ground, Rita. Hope you have power!

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I hope Rita is O.K. and hasn't suffered any damage. I understand from news last night that the waters of the bay and from the ocean converged on Long Island, flooding most if not all of the streets. They have no power there.

Nancy

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I hope Rita is ok, too.They showed on the newss today people on Long Island wading water waist deeep in the streets.and they said Long Islan got the full blunt of the storm.I really hope shes ok.

jean