Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

If I could only Have 5: Updated

Okay, I asked this question before this year's blooming season and was curious if anyone changed their opinions after this gardening year :)

One of My top fives was Santa's Little Helper, which didn't even make an appearance this year, so..that was off :( lol

Mine, thus far are:

1. Marietta Polkadot- gorgeous, carefree, long-blooming

2. Symphony of Fire - color, bloomability

3. Westbourne Miss Personality - gorgeous and mass of blooms

4. Mike Longo- awesome ruffles, shape, green throat, etc.

5. New Tangerine Twist. Great, almost toothy edge, yummy color and lotsa blooms :)

Comments (34)

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

well,I dont have santa's little helper, and dont rremember is I even joined in this earier, but, would like to join in this time. my NUMBER ONE WOULD BE
    WONDER OF IT ALL, it gave me 123 blooms this year and every bloom was fabulous.
    #2, would be,CHINA BRIDE, I didn't keep up with the rotal blooms but it was never without a bloom once it started
    #3 HOW BEAUTIGUL HEAVEN MUST BE, just because I love it.
    #4 BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS. I just love this one, too, wouln't want to be with out it.\
    #5 KECIA, is a very good bloomer,

ok, it sure is hard to stop with just five.

Jean

• dani_plus_2
    12 years ago

Cameroons- took awhile to clump, but man did it!

Lemon Fringed Pastel- Just an all around beauty

Moonlit Masquerade- There's just something about it that always holds my eye...

Pink Stripes- The throat just glows

Tetrina's Granddaughter- Beautiful frilly yellow, tall and it reblooms!

I've got more that will make it to the list next year, but they are too new this year yet to know what they'll do.

Dani

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's interesting to me that these ended up being my favorites, because I love bright vivid colors, but somehow these just looked the best and really put out the most beauty all summer.
    Jean, I remember that one that gave you millions of blooms! That was a great one.
    Dani, I have Tetrina's Daughter and am really hoping to get a great show on that next year. I got nothing this year :(

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

NOPE can't do it. lol-but I will say I was very pleased with Singular Sensation it was new here this year. It started early and had rebloom so it seemed like it was going all summer.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I can't even get it down to 10! I will say that Citrix and Forsyths Ace of Hearts, Cerulean Warbler, Malaysian Marketplace, Forsyth's Garrett Mason, Reason For Treason, Black Fathom Depths, Cinco de Mayo, and Desperado Love come to mind first, but you can't leave out Handwriting on the Wall, Brazen Bandit, Blueberry Breakfast, Linda Beck, Mabou...and I have all of these new ones...this is Mission Imposible...can't do it...Lisa was smarter than me, since I tried.
    kay

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol.
    I thought your Ace of Hearts was stunning this year and I still can't figure out why Malaysian Marketplace isn't as floriferous for me, when I've had it for 3 years. I was thinking of moving it to another spot, but was scared that if I upset the roots this late in the season it would sulk on me. ;)
    My Citrix was awesome last year and made zero appearance this year. I think plants are boycotting me. (" More fertilizer, less cold!")

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

CTC...You know, ngraham hs said that she thinks when a plant has a really good year, it is not so good the next year, and I think that has a lot of truth in it. Although a lot of times, you may get two really good years followed by a bust year. It may just seem like a bust because the previous year was so good.

Malaysian Marketplace is a wonderful plant and usually pretty early for me. I hope it improves for you next year.
    kay

• lynxe
    12 years ago

FLYING TRAPEZE, GUNS OF NAVARONNE, DESIRE OF NATIONS, BEYOND THE SKY, MERINGUE MIRAGE....I can't think of any others right now. Perhaps that means any others on a list change from year to year.

....OK, this year I will add UNCHAIN MY HEART, not for the appearance of the bloom, which is nice but certainly not on the cutting edge, but for the intensity of the colors and, most important, for its floriferousness and consistent rebloom ability.

I have some that could use a bit more settling in time and also some new ones this year that, based on their performance and beauty, will probably really wow me next year: GASPING FOR BREATH and RED SAILS AT NIGHT, both by Dave Niswonger, and with the latter also needing to be moved; and GREYWOODS CHASIN' THE BLUES, GREYWOODS GIDDY UP GIRL, and GREYWOODS LIPS A QUIVER, all from Darlyn Wilkinson. And SEND N CARAMEL KISSES, just so pretty and talk about hit the ground running, I can only imagine its performance after getting established.

Luddy's SUBTLE KNIFE, I don't know that it'd be one of only five I'd keep, but, other than when blooming for the very first time, it has never disappointed.

OK, now I really can't think of any others....

I have so many that are brand new or fairly new that my list just has to change next year!

...GREEN INFERNO, what a super-neat greeny yellow. ALMIRA BUFFALO BONE JACKSON! And EMERALD PINWHEEL! Loved all three of them this summer.

OK, I'm REALLY done now!

...RUBIES IN THE SKY is the most amazing glowing, velvety red. Just LOVE it. I'm done!

Of all the ones I've named, I'm picking BEYOND THE SKY as the most ethereally beautiful and always-perfect, never-fails-to-delight. Something better might be introduced at some point, in fact, probably will, but as of today, I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Okay Lynxe,
    You just had to post a name I really like: Send N Caramel Kisses, so that one will probably make its way into my garden at some point.

I know I am invoking an earlier thread,(Sorry CTC) but I am one of the ones that might try one if I love the name and don't dislike the bloom...My Chihuahua Bites, MY Heart Belongs to Daddy, Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed...

kay

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

If I could only have 5 of the daylilies that are already in my garden I would choose:

1. Heavenly Angel Ice - I think everyone in the north should grow this one. It is my favourite daylily. It is very clean white in my garden. The form is consistent and the branching and bud count are solid.

2. Belle of Ashwood - There are some better pink blooms out there but I haven't seen any on such a wonderful plant. It is the cornerstone of my hybridizing program. Out of 60 seedlings I planted out this spring it was a parent of all of them. One of the seedlings has already bloomed as an 8 month old seedling. That never happens here.

3. Yellow Monkey - This is the perfect spider. I wish I could have it in every colour of the rainbow. Branching and budcount are excellent, form is perfect every day, and the colour is smooth and rich.

4. Thieving Magpie - This one has not yet shown me the performance it is capable of. This is probably because I have loaded it up with pods since I got it. I saw Thieving Magpie at a local garden at clump strength. The branching, budcount and vigour were excellent. The richness of colour is amazing. Next year I am going to TRY to leave it alone. BTW, it is the other parent of the 8 month old blooming seedling.

5. My choice for number 5 probably changes daily. For today the honour goes to Elusive Happiness. It is a different kind of pink to Belle of Ashwood. It has good branching and budcount and excellent vigour. This year I moved it to the front yard in the middle of my main daylily bed.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, thanks Edward, I did mean of the plants I'm currently growing. I kept being tempted by yellow monkey on the LA because I remembered you were so impressed with it as a plant.
    Lynxe, where do you come up with all these cultivars lol? I haven't heard of most of them, but now am very curious. Do you have pics of any of these growing in your garden?
    Kay, no worries about invoking other threads, I'm happy to get people chatting, regardless ;)

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

Edward-Heavenly Angel Ice is a very pretty flower (Mr. Gossard gave it to me as a bonus four or five years ago when we went to visit his gardens) but for some reason it has struggled in my yard, and I know it shouldn't. It's a northern flower, does fine at my dad's house a couple miles down the road, but I've only gotten a few low to the ground blooms. I've even tried moving it. Since I have problems with several of the flowers growing in that small area being undersized, I have wondered if there is something in the soil or not in the soil. I keep meaning to stop and get fertilizer, but with too jobs and helping my parents, I keep forgetting.

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

Hi Lisa, I am sorry that you are having trouble with Heavenly Angel Ice. I would try adding compost or manure to the soil.

• carefreeplants_2008
    12 years ago

The top 5 I would keep are:
    Buttered Popcorn
    Written on the Wind
    Wonder of It All
    All American Chief
    Deliberate Pace

And then, I would delegate another set of 5 for my cousin to keep:
    Hawaiian Passport
    Ellis Powell
    Priscilla's Smile
    Forestlake Ragamuffin
    April laQuinta

Bill Maryott's "Secret Friend" should be in the list, too. It's on its 2nd rebloom here. No other DL has ever done that for me. And why I am forgetting Moonlit Masquerade?

Ben

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Ben ;)
    Maybe your neighbor's top five could include Secret Friend and Moonlit Masquerade.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Ben ;)
    Maybe your neighbor's top five could include Secret Friend and Moonlit Masquerade.

• shive
    12 years ago

If I could only have five full-form daylilies, they would be NATALIE ANTOINETTE, LAST SNOWFLAKE, I REMEMBER YOU, CRAZY IVAN and RUBY LIPSTICK.

If I could only have five unusual form daylilies, they would be STEALTH BOMBER, SWEET CHILD OF MINE, BLUE EYED BANDIT, NORTH WIND DANCER and MARGO REED INDEED.

If I could only have five double daylilies, they would be UNINHIBITED, LADY WU, SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC, LAND OF COTTON and WONDER OF WONDERS.

If I could only have five miniature or small daylilies, they would be LITTLE MYSTIC MOON, MARDI GRAS PARADE, NUTMEG SPICE, COLORADO MOONFIRE and MYSTIC MARINER.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Still can't do it. Its the daylily lover in me.;-).
    Enjoying reading everyone's posts.

Julia

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the, erm, creativity *cough* everyone employs to get around the five. I will not stoop to such measures. All I'm going to say is...the squirrels in my backyard seemed to favor Marietta Dazzler, Buddy's Angel Baby, and Rosy Outlook
    *averts eyes and whistles casually*

• shive
    12 years ago

What's the fun in this, if there isn't some creativity to get around the limit? Someone on another website posted this question several years ago with the scenario that we have to leave our planet and move to another one. The most creative answer there had each person in the family taking five on the spaceship, so the poster was able to list 30. LOL!

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debra, that is creative. :) I'd tuck a few seeds in my boots, too :)

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

kay, You left put CLOWN PARADE.I thought it was gorgeous this year and last year too

Jean

• dementieva
    12 years ago

Well I haven't observed mine long enough to pick a definitive five, so I'll keep my THIN MAN and take four that didn't quite make the cut from the rest of you.

See, I'm helping!

Nate

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean, you are totally right! I can't believe we missed that one.
    Nate, that is remarkably helpful!! People will be extra nice to you now, hoping you'll pick up their favorites. Here, hold this a moment *shoves Viola Francois towards Nate* ;)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Kay is right, my list changes from year to year because what was great last year just did so-so this year. Take Beautiful Edgings, last year it was in bloom constantly from June 17 til just before the 1st frost in late October. This year the prize for long bloom time was Isaac which started June 4. I don't remember the exact date of its last bloom, but it was late in September. Last year Colorado Blues was new & rebloomed 3 times. This year it didn't rebloom at all.
    I can't come up with a top 5 really, but my favorite blooms were mostly new & bloomed well for being 1st year
    Clown Parade
    Gift from Heaven
    Mystical Rainbow
    Heavens Proclaim
    Hello Heartstrings

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is knd of a bummer that one can only get a spectacular show on certain plants every other year, but I guess if plants trade off, it leaves something to have a flurry of blooms ;)
    I might try to pick up Clown Parade next year as well as Master of Disguise if price is down a tad, as I've heard excellent things about Selmans.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

This thread was so entertaining, light-hearted & fun I had to give it a boost so that others could enjoy it! What fun & funny characters you all are! :-)

Rena'

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

my 5 would stay the same, except for the last one of KETICA. I COULD do with out that one, but, never do withoutBARNEY and WILD ONE.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I've sat here pondering this question (and laughing over most everyones evasion of the 5 only rule). What I think the question ought to be is what is everyones favorite by color. Let'see there would be yellow, orange, purple, red, maroon, white, near white, polychromes, pink, peach, with eyed daylilies going onto another list (White with red eye, Peach with red eye, Yellow with red eye etc.). As I was doing this I finally came to the conclusion that any list I could make would leave out a daylily that I really like. Maybe someone should start a list on which daylilies you didn't like. Maybe that would be easier.......Maryl

• dementieva
    11 years ago

You could do a list of choices like the AHS awards list...favorite miniature, favorite double, favorite patterned, favorite spider, favorite UF, etc., as well as different colors. Maybe each one as a different thread over time would be an interesting way to pass the cold months.

Nate

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I'd keep KENT'S FAVORITE TWO, RIPTIDE, FIREFLY FRENZY, AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL and GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. If I could squeeze in one more, it would be BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS. I'm basing my opinion on their outstanding performance. If I had to just keep one, it would be KFT.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Nancy, it is amazing that you could get a single favorite! Wow!
    kay

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Yep Maryl, your idea would be easier. First on my list would be Seurat-which I referred to as Sewer Rat. It was given to me by my aunt and only lasted 1 year before being tossed. I think the only plant I every gleefully tossed. lol

• jaco42
    11 years ago

Can't do it. Too much like trying to pick a favorite child

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor