Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pop-up ads

Posted by mantis__oh z6 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 22:01

It seems I am getting more and more ads on this forum, in which I have to click an "X" to get rid of the ad. What do others do to avoid this nuisance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pop-up ads

I use Firefox (browser) with Ad Blocker. I see no ads at all.
I know GW relies on ads to provide a free site but there are other ways to put advertising on a site without it being so intrusive and if I did let the ads show,my computers speed would consistently slow down to a crawl.

Julia

o

Same here. I use Mozilla Firefox for my browser with Ad Blocker Plus. No more pop-ups.

Karen

o

Thanks. I installed the ad blocker and am no longer getting ads here. It is really obnoxious when something pops up and has to be clicked in order to be removed.

o

I am so used to IE. Any solutions for it?
I know ads are needed and I don't mind them. And before pop-ups were small, but now I have this Sherwin-Williams every time, and it's huge :) First page ad always rolls out unexpectedly, so instead of clicking on Daylilies I usually go to other forums first :)) and then have to come back, wait for the ad to shrink, then go to Daylily, click on all Xs to close ads, after reading every post, after previewing answer, etc. Fun..

o

• Posted by gata z4 NH (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 14:50

thank you so much for the question and the great answer! I only very recently got DSL. we were on dial up before. So I hadn't been viewing the forums in years....Now that I can access them without twiddling my thumbs, I was appalled by the number of ads here (more than in the past, for sure). Just upgraded my firefox and downloaded the Adblock Plus. No more ads!

o

nat4b : Check the IE forums or just google and I'm sure there is a solution.

I also think there was suppose to be a link here on GW that you could OPT OUT of the ads. Check with the moderators. Use the CONTACT US link at the bottom of the thread page where the Instructions are listed or just do search of GW.

Julia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here