Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dementieva

Late Blooms from New Plants

dementieva
12 years ago

In this thread I will post pictures of the new plants I've gotten that put up late scapes.

First is RED CHILE RENDEZVOUS, which opened today. The scape was just below where the foliage was cut back when I received it early this month.

I was amazed by the ruffling, twisting, and curling of this flower. It measured about 5.5" across. Color is like a red hot pepper. It glowed bright in the sunlight.

This was the one that Bill Maryott gave out at the Region 6 meeting this year. It was registered in 2009 but introduced for distribution in 2011.

Nate

Comments (22)

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Wow!! what a great looking bloom love the color.
    Linda

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Nice red color. Next year it should be even better.

Julia

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Lucky you to get that one from Bill! I love that red-hot color and the ruffling. It really does seems to glow and the name is fun. The added bonus is that it is blooming right now. I just love how anything we get from Maryott's wants to bloom, no matter how soon after you plant it and no matter where in the country you live. His plants are magical.

Celeste

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

wow. I really like this one. gorgeous red color.

jean

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

That is a great color and nice form.
    cindy

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate the compliments -- it's nice to be able to provide a little color when almost everyone else is done blooming. You guys did the same for me during this hot dry summer. My last daylily before this one bloomed in the middle of July (!!!), so it's been a long time.

I think the yellow wire edge on RCR really makes the red pop.

Other scapes on new plants (which will eventually join this thread):

SKINWALKER (ETA 1.5 - 2 weeks)
    CITRIX (ETA 2.5 - 3 weeks)

Nate

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today RED CHILE RENDEZVOUS opened its last bloom, and SKINWALKER opened its first. Unfortunately, DW is out of town with the camera, so I have cell phone photos, which are less true to the color.

RED CHILE RENDEZVOUS (compare to the other photo to see how much better my camera shows color).

SKINWALKER (a little frazzled at the tips, but showing the wonderful suspended three-dimensional curls).

CITRIX buds are showing some color now.

Nate

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

You are right, Nate, the color on RCR is different with the phone, but still pretty. I think your photos of Skinwalker make me like it more than I did previously. Will look forward to the Citrix blooms. Avedon

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

OOOOh *envious*
    I like Skinwalker super much! I noticed a lot of people have been crossing it and I'm sure it's because of its great form!

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I had to take another SKINWALKER picture this afternoon because the same flower looks completely different. Somehow it's holding its arms out even better now than in the morning.

Nate

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms! And so nice to see them now. I can't wait for you to post Citrix, since it a top favorite of mine.
    kay

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And like magic, there it is! It rained hard this afternoon and the flower was all melty when I got home, but it looked pretty excellent this morning. I really enjoy this sort of secondary bloom season where I get a sneak preview of the new plants (and it's also reassuring to know early on that they're the correct plants).

CITRIX

I think the next CITRIX and SKINWALKER open tomorrow, and both have pretty good clusters of buds.

Nate

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Ah yes, Nate! I do love Citrix! Thanks so much for posting it.
    kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

wow, thats a pretty bloom. should be aven better in the spring. thanks for showing it.

jean

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

Citrix is a pretty color, and you should be getting quite a few more flowers if all the buds on that scape bloom. Avedon

• katladie
    12 years ago

Wow, great blooms, lucky you!!!!!

Sharon

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe you're tired of the same things over and over, but here are a couple more shots.

This photo of CITRIX from yesterday came out especially crisp and clear.

And here's SKINWALKER today, the first photo I've taken on the camera rather than the cell phone. Tomorrow will be it's third consecutive day in bloom.

Nate

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At this point things are so late that they're early! WHEEL OF TIME opened its first bud today, and I had to turn the sepals out this afternoon because it hadn't opened all the way (but when I popped them open, they stayed that way).

Coming soon: MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE in less than a week, and then NEW PARADIGM (barring any freeze).

I'm still holding off on rust treatment just for observation, and NEW PARADIGM is getting pretty freckly and infecting a few of the things around it.

Nate

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE, first bloom today. It was popping a second scape, but I snipped it. I'm not sure if it will ever get cold here this winter...

Nate

• Ed
    12 years ago

My NEW PARADIGM is pretty freckly too! Disappointing.
    But your MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE is really pretty. Like it!
    Ed

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Nate: Nice pic of your MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE. Wow, blooms in January.

Julia

• dementieva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well here's the last confused daylily to bloom from last year's new plantings. Everything from now forward should be an actual spring scape.

NEW PARADIGM bloomed last week, but it barely opened so I didn't post it. Today it was going to rain, so I cut the scape and brought it inside last night. Not the best bloom ever (nor the best photo), but the weather has been all over the place lately. It's definitely the right plant though!

Nate