Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Crazy rebloomers, fall foliage and survivors

celeste/NH
9 years ago

It is coming up on Columbus Day weekend and in a typical year in zone 4 there won't be much, if anything, still blooming. We will have had frost and the daylily bed will be looking forlorn underneath the newly fallen leaves, brown scapes rising up bleakly. Strangely, I've had quite a few re-bloom and although most of that effort is wasted (the nights are too cold for the buds to open properly) some are almost pretty. So I thought I'd share some of these crazy, mixed-up rebloomers and survivors of the frosty nights.....and some pretty foliage shots. I still have these late-bloomers with buds remaining. Final Frontier, VT The Last Melon, VT September Rose Rosy, VT Bridal Lilac and VT Autumn Fires have been blooming since early August. Daylilies that re-bloomed for me are: Fires of Varanasi, Laughing Lion, Wizard's Heir, Moussaka, Royal Jester, Forsyth Flying Dragon, Absolute Treasure, Windy Place, Fancy Finish, August Flame (instant rebloom), Butterpat, Sweet Seneca Kisses and King Kahuna.

Celeste

MOUSSAKA, on rebloom

KING KAHUNA, on rebloom

FORSYTH FLYING DRAGON, on rebloom

Most days VT THE LAST MELON cannot open her buds because of the cold (30's and 40's at night) but you can see that it still has buds left after blooming for NINE WEEKS!

I cut back all the roses in August because the japanese beetles were ruining all the blooms and now they are deciding to put out another flush. Talk about late to the party! I have about a dozen rosebushes in full bloom.

LARISSA

HEAVEN ON EARTH

POMPONELLA

QUIETNESS

Hardy hibiscus 'PINK ELEPHANT' is my latest blooming one and it still has blooms left to open in mid-October.

ZINNIAS, survived the first frost and match the colors of the autumn leaves

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Comments (17)

• statmam
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, my goodness! What a treat. Thanks for sharing these.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

How very beautiful! It is really impressive how much late bloom & reblooms you are getting, even if some aren't opening well. The daylilies are so pretty, and then there are the roses! I don't grow roses because of the Japanese beetles, but wow, those are just so perfect. The scenic photos are jaw dropping though, very beautiful. Leaves are turning here, but been raining & dreary the last few days so I haven't been able to enjoy it. I do have a couple of hibiscus that are blooming nicely right now.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I live 'next door' in southern Maine, and may I just say that this is just stunning! You've also helped me see the beautiful foliage that I haven't been able to see yet. I'm SO glad I opened this post this morning on a quick break from work!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Celeste, thanks for taking the time to post! I've been a care taker also, I know it is hard sometimes. I only have one grandchild so care taking and grandkids has not been on plate yet. The flowers are great as usual, so nice to see a new post here. There are roses blooming again in my neighborhood also. No roses in my yard, i have 5 small dogs and am afraid of eye injuries. They get an occasional injury from the shrubs I have. You live in a gorgeous place! I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures next season. I should have some too, i planted about 30?-40? new daylily varieties.

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Your roses are just so spectacular! If only I can grow roses like yours, I will be so thrilled. Seems like my roses attract more pests than I can effectively deal with. The latest is rose midge and all the blooms have been deformed somewhat.

• FlowerGardener
    9 years ago

Celeste, thanks for sharing all of your lovely pictures with us....Betty

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Breathtaking fall foliage! I especially like the pic with the tree branch in the foreground. Pink Elephant is a very intense color. Unfortunately, Quietness is a rose that is difficult to locate.

• del_s
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting all the lovely fall color pics. Gorgeous.

• User
    9 years ago

missed you on the rosey forums, Celeste...and glad you are stiill posting (I love your garden).

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

That Forsyth Flying Dragon looks huge. I also like your Pompenella rose. I'm not a fan of most OGRs but that's not because of the flower form. Dose Pomenella have any trouble opening with the cool weather?...Your fall foliage is very pretty too. Three days ago I was shopping for pansies in 90 degree weather. Finally a cool down due in next week. I believe our fall foliage is still weeks away..........Maryl

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

OH WOW!!!!!!! Thank you celeste for making the time to post these beautiful pictures.I do hope there will be some more later,Your pictures are so pretty. The dayliliies are beautiful, as always, and that Hybiscus is a real beauty, too.These foliage pictures are so pretty, too. I don't get to see pretty foliage around here hardly at all.Most of the trees are pines around here. when you do see a different kind of tree cant hardly see any pretty foliage like these as they are all blocked in with the pines..I hate pine trees, but, in heavy rain and wind, they don't get uprooted like the other trees do so I guess they are ok. I too, have a hard time sleeping and usually only sleep a hour or two at most for 4 or 5 days, then I get maybe 4 hours a night or two, then it gos back to no sleep.. Thank you again, for posting these beautiful pictures,I love them all.

jean

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I especially like the foliage shots. Thanks for sharing.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm love seeing your pictures of daylilies still blooming - amazing. Moosaka is quite lovely and all your other blooms still look great too. Enjoy. I know I just did.

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Celeste, it is all so beautiful. I have been reading all your posts when I have a minute. Thank you for posting so many lovely pictures. Just wanted to let you know that Royal Frosting is blooming now, Hope you and your family are doing well. Avedon

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting!
    Brad

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Nice pics. Fall is such a special time of the year with all the leaves changing.

Julia

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness what beautiful gardens. I always looked forward to your rose pictures. It was truly a treat on the rose forum. Love the daylilies equally as well. So nice to see plants that grow well up north. You'll never know how many roses I've gotten as a result of the inspirational photos you have posted. Thanks for all of them. With scenery like that I'd never go inside.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm