Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photos: Some of the Stout Award contenders

Posted by celestialrose zone 4/5 NH (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 23:41

I don't know which will win the Stout this year, but I had fun searching through my photos of some of the contenders.

These will be shown in alphabetical order, not in order of my preference. (But if you're wondering, I'm rooting for either Persian Ruby, Laura Harwood or Margo Reed Indeed).

Celeste

AMERICAN FREEDOM (is a blooming machine in my zone 4 garden)
american freedom

CREATURE OF THE NIGHT
creature of the night

FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN
forestlake ragamuffin

GEORGE JETS ON
george jets on

GREY WITCH
grey witch

HEAVENLY ANGEL ICE
heavenly angel ice

HER BEST BLOOMERS
her best bloomers

LAURA HARWOOD (gorgeous; blooms late here)
laura harwood

MARGO REED INDEED
Photobucket

MYNELLE'S STARFISH (I love the unique shape & large size)
mynelle's starfish

NUTMEG ELF (petite blooms on tall scapes)
nutmeg elf

PERSIAN RUBY (HUGE, velvety blooms)
persian ruby

SHORES OF TIME (gorgeous pink, but doesn't always open well in my cold zone)
shores of time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photos: Some of the Stout Award contenders

Thanks for your work assembling these. My vote is Laura Harwood, but in the heat here this summer, it nearly passed on. All I have left is one scrawney fan.

o

The majority on this forum seem to predict Laura Harwood.

o

You grow lots of contenders!
I was wondering about your American Freedom. How old is it? I want a blooming machine too ;)

o

Pulling for Mynelle's Starfish myself, but I wouldn'd mind having any of them in my garden

o

Mynelle's Starfish here always had such short scapes and wasn't very vigorous.

o

Mantis I never really noticed a lack of vigor although you are correct about the scapes being short.
thank you

o

THANK YOU to those who took the time to comment!

Nat, American Freedom is on it's second year here but I have been amazed at it's performance thus far. (It came from Maryotts). It bloomed for a very long time, both summers, and always had several blooms opened up each day.
I never noticed any problems with it opening either which is a plus in our colder climates.
jaco42, I also like Mynelle's Starfish very much. Mine is quite vigorous and I love those HUGE & very unique blooms. I have no complaints about it myself...but wonder if others are bothered by it's short scapes. Short scapes don't bother me, I just plant those in front of the taller ones.

Celeste

o

celeste same here just plant it towards the front and let it show off

o

Celeste, looks like AF loves your garden! I got mine at the same time (and from Maryotts too) :) Didn't bloom first summer, quite short and only 24 flowers altogether with rebloom this summer. Will hope next year it will improve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here