Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonthyme5

Purchasing new DL's

lemonthyme5
9 years ago

Oh I've been tracking the new 2015 introductions! I am very new to daylilies and live in Illinois (zone 5). I've read that it is best to purchase from someone in your zone or colder. I would hate to purchase DL's and not have them make it through our cold winters. Any suggestions? TIA

Comments (17)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Lemonthyme, i am in zone 5 about 50 miles west of Chicago. Some of the experts here will tell you it doesnt matter. However, I wont buy anything grown above zone 6. I dont have to worry about rust from northern growers. I have purchased from Blue Ridge daylilies ( mountains of n. carolina) and Oak Hill daylilies (central illinois). They sell big healthy plants, great customer service. They both sell on the Lily Auction also, Oak Hill sells seasonally on the Lily Auction, her name there is "bnich". I have also made a few purchases on the Lily Auction from growers in Michigan and Ohio. If you haven't looked at the auction give it a try. The growers location is always on each listing, it works similar to Ebay. I am sure you will get input from other members, just letting you know what I do!

Sherry

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Hi. I'm in Canada zone 5a. Thought I'd just let you know what I do. I have some of everything, dormants, semi evergreens and even evergreens. Some evergreens are hardier than others so I check with the local growers to see what evergreens they consider hardy for them. If I see one on a site I like, I check the hardiness and see if one of my suppliers has it. If you email and ask them how hardy the plant is for them, they will tell you. I saw one of Stamiles I liked and wanted but wasn't sure about it so I emailed and they told me they did not recommend it for zones colder than where they were. Mostly I buy Canadian because then I know what is hardy in this climate. Marg

• Ed
    9 years ago

Buying from local sources is good advice. I would also suggest starting out with older, less expensive daylilies before investing in the latest introductions. Daylilies are pretty easy to grow, but like anything, caring for them takes a little experience. Have fun!
    Ed

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Hi, I also live in northern Illinois. These are my favorite hybridizer's For excellent performing daylilies in my garden and great for giving that little extra help you might need with your selections. Paul Owen Judy Davisson, Mike Derrow, Ginny Pearce, Richard Norris and Gary Schaben all have something great for everyone. All different prices as well. I don't purchase evergreen varieties not worth the risk unless I'm told it well do find here. Be careful of daylilies from most southern places as I personally have had very little success with these and none remain in my yard. Live and learn I guess. Try to resist some of those beautiful pattern daylilies as most won't open well here. They are working on them so maybe soon. Maybe this is mone information than you asked for but would have saved myself a lot of money had I known. Also watch big fancy edges as they just can't open here for several reasons. Davisson and Owen daylilies pictures are very true to what you will see in your yard. Most of the others will be much much prettier when they bloom for you.I have 5 Norris intros from 2012-2013. Knock me down gorgeous when they bloomed. Also give all daylilies 2 or 3 years too look and perform their best. I have a couple that took four years before they turn into the beautiful performers that they are now. Hope some of this helped. Happy gardening!

• lemonthyme5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the information and help. Yes, I have found the Lily Auction and purchased from Oak Hill. They are about 90 mi from me so I hope to visit there this summer

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Lemonthyme, you just jogged my memory! I remember us both posting about Oak Hill daylilies a few months ago. I am in the process of adding a few more from her for spring delivery. Didnt know you were new with daylilies. You will really enjoy your new additions.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Patty, great garden! I know i have enjoyed your pictures before. Do you have any favorite late bloomers?

Sherry

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful garden! I need to focus on a few good landscape shots. I usually just take closeups of the bloom or maybe clump shots.

I can grow all types here but I like to buy from my zone or above. The Lily Auction can be addictive! This is Thomas Tew from the LA.

Teresa

• lemonthyme5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sherry, I just bought a couple from Blue Ridge--one of them being Clown Parade. A grower posted it to a Facebook page and I fell in love with it!

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

Are you a member of the AHS? or a local daylily club will be a great resource for you. When I started I collected mostly for the pretty faces but I soon learned to watch for Award winners. They increase better and seem to be more robust than others.

You can find that information on the AHS website just looking at a plants stats. I like one that is not so short and has a good bud count.

• lemonthyme5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not a member of either. The closest DL group is about 90 miles away. I'm one of those who likes to join and contribute to the group. Right now, my fulltime job is very full! I'm about 4-7 yrs out on retirement so maybe I can join after that

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

I am close to 70 mi away from my club. I don't get to attend often but it is fun to meet others that have the same interest. I would love to form a new club closer to home.

9 years ago

Sherrygirl, I'm sorry I did not see your question before. Yes I do.

This one is Last Blast from Judy Davison. Nice and tall and very good bloomer with dependable re-bloom. I know it's more expensive but pretty much took the space of five or six other daylilies. So in the end not to bad.
    Re-bloom scapes had 30+ buds. This was 2 fans with six scapes.
    Then there is Working Overtime also from Judy haven't got a good individual picture thou. Another big buxom bountiful bloomer with reliable repeat.

9 years ago

Twist Again - I love this daylily. It's a yellow that blooms from the early mid season till past frost. Has many scapes up at a time heathy plant. Had my plants for $ years and still does not need dividing. I got mine from MaryAnn Pruden. You can find her place by searching by searching for Lily house on line. Nice daylily place. This one wont break the bank.
    Once again no individual but have one of the flower.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Patty, thanks for the info! I really like Twist Again. I like that yellow, i am a little fussy about the yellows I have in my garden. I am going to check that out and see if I can find it.

Sherry

9 years ago

Cat Dancer and All Rilled Up are two that also bloom past frost. CMO's also so still look good that late in the year.

Finally was able to get a hold of the real Buttered Popcorn (not the orange yellow thats often sold). Oh my it's a beautiful yellow. Really happy with it.

• lemonthyme5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since I've been down with the flu the last several days, I decided to look at daylilies! I'm splitting my purchasing between Gossard in Ohio, Emmerich in Minnesota, Michael Miller's Small World in VA, and Oak Hill Daylilies in Illinois. That's it for me for 2015!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz