Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Snow flurries today

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

My first sighting of snowflakes today. Not alot coming down but definitely very cold here.With the predicted nor'easter coming, we may see more by mid week but all depends on the storm track and how far inland it will come. BUT by the weekend they say we will be back in the 60's.

I actually think many of the daylilies are looking great and staying very green with a few getting the yellow foliage. I haven't checked all the dormants yet but I don't think many have died back fully yet. My mulch piles are sitting and waiting for me to finish spreading it around so maybe this weekend will be a good time. I decided to cut back the foliage on my 2nd year seedlings a few weeks ago to test what benefit, if any, it would have on them next season. I've read several northerns doing this with no adverse affect. I wanted to do some of the other dls too but will see what the weather turns out like for the rest of this week.

Starting my machine embroidery project so when the weather is not cooperating, I still can work on some indoor stuff. So instead of picking out weeds, I'll be picking out stitches.

Julia

Comments (24)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Well, I will be cutting the rest back when we get the first freeze, but not until...Everything is looking pretty good here too. The roses are giving a beautiful fall flush, and the zinnias and salvias are still blooming away for the butterflies which is a good thing because we have an awful lot of Gulf Frits and Sulfers still migrating.

My bulbs aren't shipped until late Novemeber. By the way, I won that plant you enabled me about on Annette Rice's auction. Actually, Mantis is responsible too since he posts his beautiful photos of it.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Cold weather not so great now as many people are still wuthout power. Cold here too but not that cold. At least it is nice and warm inside.

I am catching up on my indoor chores. Washed dishes and am doing a load of laundry now that the power is back up.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coastal storm will not impact us here per the weather forecast this morning. Yayyyyyyyyyyy. Just will be "breezy" which for us, is typical anyway.

Congrats on your auction win Kay. What did you get? I just love the Rice daylilies and had success with most of the ones I've gotten. RAINBOWS GLORY is the only one so far that seems to produce less than stellar blooms and bud count is low. Maybe this coming season it will wow me.

Maybe this week Rita, you'll get all those bulbs planted after you get your indoor stuff caught up. Hope the storm bypasses all of you or at least is minimal winds.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Actually, I don't think it was hers, it is Indian Ripple. Mantis has posted lovely pictures of it, so I bid on it and got it. My kind of hot colors. I lust after her Hot Tamales and Red Hots
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Well, we are supposed to get full effect of this new storm tomorrow and Thursday so it will be Friday at least till I am working on planting bulbs again. I hope the power doesn't go out again.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay: If you want HOT TAMALES AND RED HOTS, I can probably send you two fans next spring when our weather gets warm again. Let me know.

Rita: I saw WPIX news last night with MrG and unfortunately it does look you all will get the wind effect from that storm. Hope your power stays on. We always watch the news from the city since our daughter lives down there.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Julia, I would love to have fans of Hot Tamales and Red Hots. Are you expecting snow from that new storm?
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay:Okay, I'll put a note by my computer.
    Forecaster this morning said no snow as the storm is going out more to sea. Hope they are right. Just will be breezy.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

On the 5 PM weather they said possible up to three inches of snow here. I hope they are wrong about the snow. But then they say by the weekend it is going up to about 60.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita: On our local weather report this morning it looks like south and east of us will get snow, also NJ and up the coast.

They keep saying no snow here for our area so hopefully they are right. This morning we had our first hard frost. We too will enjoy warmer temps this weekend.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

We had a frost a few nights ago, the tomato plants, which were still growing green leaves, all wilted. No big deal, I should have pulled them all before now anyway but been to busy what with everything going on I have not gotten to it.

I put on Weather Channel and they have named this Northeaster Winter Storm Atheana. So they show rain, not snow for us with the snow inland. I don't know. I will have to check News 12 Long Usland. I am looking out my window and see a rain/snow mix comming down right now.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Oh wow! Snow before Thanksgiving! At least it is supposed to warm up quickly. We haven't had our first frost yet, but keep getting close...30s, just not quite low enough. Stay warm up there.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

We don't need this cold weather and snow in our tri state area right now.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I braved the low 20's this morning and walked down to the mailbox and because most of the foliage in all the beds was flattened by the hard frost this morning, I saw a scape sitting so tall I was amazed. It was NO MORE TEARS. This one goes into my daylily record book. I guess I should have walked the gardens sooner as you just never know what you'll find. The foliage on the dls is just starting to pop back up at noon time.

Hope nothing bad happens this time around for you Rita. Stay warm.

Julia

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Funny about the No More Tears scape :) Last week I went out to cut some annuals and found a scape too, on Incendiary. It was quite long already. Too bad it was frost damaged. Never seen the scapes so late. I got this Incendiary in June, it bloomed in August, and apparently wanted to rebloom in November :)

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat: I'll have to check my Incendiary tomorrow to see if that one did it here too. NO MORE TEARS is definitely frost damaged but I have to wait for the weather to warm up to take the clipper and cut the scape off.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Sleeting here. Yuck.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Ouch! what a pain.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Snowing. Yuck, yuck, yuck. The 11 PM News updated our expected totals from 3-5 inches to 5-8 inches instead. And LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) power outtage numbers are increasing this afternoon and evening again instead of going down as we all want them too. Already lots of new outtages. They just showed one family in a local town on the news that got their power back this afternoon and lost power again 4 hours later in a new outtage.

The good news is that after tomorrow the weather is supposed to get much warmer and these snows will not last.

So I am going to shut off the computer and go to bed and hope we do not loose power overnight.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

So I am sitting here looking out the window at snow. But it is getting to about 43 today so melting snow and tomorrow about 53 so it really should melt. I think about 3 inches here so really not bad. A teenage kid came around early this morning (8AM) asking if I need shoveling so I paid him $20 to shovel the driveway and my front from the porch to the street. So I am good.

Southern NJ had 13 inches of snow, CT, 11 inches, out on Long Island in Suffolk county about 8 inches. Lots of new power outtages all around in NJ, Staten Island, NYC and Long Island.

Apparenty Nassau County (us) again got the most new power outtages. Put this on top of all those people that are sitting in ice cold dark homes with no power still from last Monday.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was amazed watching the news last night and this morning seeing all the snow amounts in the tri-state area.Those folks whose homes have no electric or were damaged are braving it in the cold just because either they have no place to go or they are afraid of looters. So sad.

Temps do appear to be on the rise even here over the next several days but next week, well, we will be back to low temps again.

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Rita,I do hope you don't lose power again in that cold temp.JULIAJean

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Rita, Just posted on another thread asking if you got snow. I see that the answer is Yes, but looks like you didn't lose power at least.
    Val

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

The snow melted really quickly.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz