Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Addicted to the whoppers

shive
15 years ago

As I've been acquiring more of the huge 7-inch full forms, I find myself not even paying attention to daylilies in the 4 and 5-inch range anymore. Those whoppers have such impact! Has anyone else acquired this addiction? Here are my favorite 7-inchers.

NATALIE ANTOINETTE was the first giant to bloom last season.

{{gwi:983725}}

Here's NATALIE with some friends that I used to think were large, GREEN MYSTIQUE on the left and DENA MARIE'S SISTER on the right.

{{gwi:983726}}

With instant rebloom, NATALIE ANTOINETTE bloomed for 8.5 weeks.

{{gwi:983727}}

Debra

Comments (71)

• lyle627
    15 years ago

Linda - I noticed with MITS the heat did effect the size of the bloom, that pic was taken with temps in the 100's.
    I'm sure as yours matures you will see larger blooms.

Lyle

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Jan.. OTT has not doubled for me yet, but next year is another year. I rarely get doubles until later in the season when we get some days in the 80's.. and this year although I moved OTT into a better spot than it had been living in, it's scapes fell victims to errant doggie feet after only a few blooms. :( When you share your garden with animals, you have to be able to deal with some collateral damage! I am also truly amazed in seeing you photo (and Rita's) of GFH. I can't believe how different mine is.... but i wouldn't trade it! I love your Flames Over Africa! That is a real eye grabber.

Lyle... You have some nice pics, but the edge on Crowend Heads is unbelievable! WOW! I have Only Believe as well, but it was a new kid for me this year and although the flowers were lovely, they weren't the largest. Again, there is always next year! :)

Julie

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

To get your photo to show up in your message useing Photobucket, just copy the 3rd line down. It says HTML code in front of it. I noticed in another thread you had used the last tag line which says IMG tag...don't use it. Use the HTML one instead, then just paste it into your message.
    Hope this helps you out, cause I love seeing everyones photos. :)
    Jan

• phaltyme21
    15 years ago

These get better and better. I like RUSSIAN RHAPSODY, it
    measured 9 inches for me. I light and dark purple and has
    oodles of flowers.

YELLOW MAMMOTH is just that, a charming mammoth, also lots
    of blooms.

IGOR - oh my heavens! you want me to describe this, I can't
    and my list of DL pictures is confusing for me right now so
    I can't send pics.

MATCHLESS FIRE - terrific. LAURA HARWOOD -WHAT A BEAUTY.

NORMAN S. TRACK - another gorgeous one, a blooming fool.

SPARKLING ORANGE is a nice, big one. Lights up the whole
    yard.

ANGEL RODGERS is a beauty also.

After listing all of those, how can I wait till bloom season?

Kay-phal

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Oh, you guys are killing me here with eye candy...repeat to self "I have no more room....I have no more room" LOL

What a bunch of beauties!
    I have a whole bunch of seedlings coming out of 'Over The Top'. Was interesting to see yours bloom single, Julie. That's the first time I've ever seen a picture of it w/single bloom. Still beautiful in that form too.

Also have some April LaQuinta babies coming along. Really nice to see their mamma is so gorgeous.

Here's another I have registered at 6.5". Again 1st yr in my garden so though I didn't measure it I don't think it was at its full potential yet but it was getting there by end of season. I'm told it throws patterened eyes.

{{gwi:663761}}

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Wow! I love the big one too. De and Jan, y'all need to stop this or I'll never have money for anything but daylilies. I did order a couple from the Shooters, but not a Friend for All, though it's lovely, isn't it?
    I ordered Island Time and Wise Woman. Island Time was such a tall one, I couldn't resist, and I like the color of Wise Woman.
    kay

• shortyhead
    15 years ago

Please tell me where to buy these,

1. Natalie Antoinette

2. Arctic Lace

3. Pink Pepperming

4. Symphony of Praise

5. Lake Effect

6. Gift from Heaven

7. Moment in the Sun

8. Kay Day

9. Russian Rhapsody

I can't find them.

Jim

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Jim did you try the Daylily Search site? If not, click the link below then type the name of the dl you're looking or in the search box and you should get the names of vendors selling that dl.
    Good luck.
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily Search

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

They have several of the ones you listed. I don't imagine you're going to find them all at one vendors. :)
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Marrietta's pricelist

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim,
    I bought most of the big ones I have on the Lily Auction. But I would recommend Floyd Boatwright's Sassafras Garden and Farm for Natalie Antoinette, Lake Effect and Moment In The Sun. He has some of the best prices around on newer cultivars, and the plants he sends are healthy and large. Tim Bell of Bell's Daylily Garden has Symphony of Praise and Arctic Lace.

Debra

• lyle627
    15 years ago

Julie - ONLY BELIEVE is a very nice daylily and has a huge bloom.Nice to see you at DG.

Some more large ones.

LARRY ALLEN MILLER 7" bloom.

DARLA ANITA: 7" bloom , lots of chicken fat.

MILDRED MITCHELL: 6 1/2" bloom.

RUBY SUNDAY: 6 1/2" bloom. This is the pod parent to (Gaskins) Dove In Flight.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Jim-- I got Gift From Heaven from Maryotts, as I know that several others did. Didn't see it listed there this year.

Lyle-- Thanks! I am enjoying the DG forum as well. It wasn't enough to have all the wonderful enablers here.. I had to find more! Your pic of Mildred Mitchell is fantastic. It has done nothing for me here for the last three years... if next year is a dud I will move it, and after that I may give up, no matter how wonderful it is for others.

Julie

• shortyhead
    15 years ago

Phaltime, Tinker's doesn't have a photo of mammoth yellow or norman's track. Do you know of a site where I can see a photo?

Jim

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Jim, you can find an image of NORMAN S. TRACK online. (Note the name isn't "Norman's Track".) It was hybridized by Lorrain/Lycett, who are Canadians, of We're in the Hayfield Now Daylily Gardens. (The place is now owned by Henry Lorrain, as Doug Lycett passed away a couple of years ago.) Interestingly, they list as NORMAN TRACK, while the AHS database shows NORMAN S. TRACK:

http://www.hayfield.ca/

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/

As an aside, once again, I remind people that the AHS database is not a bad tool. It's true that they need more images, but they're working on it. At any rate, a search on "Track" and "End of the Cultivar Name" brought up the correct name according to AHS.

Back to the daylily: if you do an online search for additional images, best bet is "Norman S. Track" and "Lorrain" and/or "Lycett." You might also search on a combo of the daylily name and one or more of its attributes, say ploidy, color, etc. Searching on "Norman S. Track" and "daylily" will bring up far too many hits on a book about daylilies by Norman S. Track. NB: I had that book. Kept it for less than a day or two, then stuck it in my give-away box. 'Nuff said about that lol.

MAMMOTH YELLOW -- Ain't no such daylily to be found online. Possibilities are (1) it's a 2009 or maybe 2008 and hasn't made it into the databases; (2) it's unregistered; (3) the name is wrong and it's GREAT BIG MAMMOTH YELLOW MONSTER or MAMMOTH DAYLILY or something; (4) phaltyme was describing attributes, ie it's really big and really yellow lolol.

If you search the AHS database on "mammoth" as first word, you get MAMMOTH BEAUTY, an 8" pale yellow by Loletta Powell (Loretta, something like that). It's dormant, it's fragrant, it's tall AND huge, it reblooms....hmmmm. I think I "need" that one!

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynxe - It's YELLOW MAMMOTH - not MAMMOTH YELLOW. It's an older spidery looking daylily by Powell. I used to have it, but gave it away because it was not fertile for me.

Debra

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Oops !

Well, interesting that I got the hybridizer right, and all by accident. But then maybe not so odd, as she did lots of big yellows, like CAROLICOLOSSAL.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Shive, shame on you! Your picture of Natalie Antoinette and Rita's picture of Citrix sent me over the edge. I've eliminated a lot of cultivars this year and now have extra space for a couple more--think of that! Never happens! Anyway, saw your pictures and went to the Lily Auction. Kept looking and then came to my senses and called Floyd Cove. I'm going over there on Monday to pick up: Dream Candy, Lonesome Heart, Lacy All Over, Orange Grove (Christmas present for my husband), Natalie Antoinette, and Citrix.

Thanks to everyone who posts pictures!!

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beachlily - You are getting some wonderful new daylilies! I'm glad I don't live within driving distance of Floyd Cove because I find those Stamiles hard enough to resist as it is. Enjoy your new acquisitions!

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

these are all so lovely. Kay Day is on my short list from Marietta if their price ever comes down, and the diamonds on that Moment in the sun are enough to make Marilyn Monroe sing her song about a girl's best friend again.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

OH my goodness, What beauties you all have.Makes my heart skip a few beats.I have to stop scrolling up and down looking before I have to replace a mouse.:)They are all so beautiful.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

This is something I have noticed a lack of in my garden, I just do not seem to have any large flowered daylilies. I tried fixing that by getting some from Jim Murphy and Margo Reed but they bloomed really small flowers this past bloom season, the first.

Even my listed larger flowers like SEDONA which is listed at 7 inches are average size in my garden, nothing size wise to get excited about. Then also because I bought my 2008 new intros almost all from northern hybridizers, I just did not get large flowers. Truthfullly, I was not looking for them.

This fall however, I did decide I needed some for the size. I know some of the ones I ordered from Mary Jane Meadows for spring are listed as larger flowers in the 7 inch range. The biggest though is BIGG AND REDD ALL OVER, listed if I remember correctly, at 8 inches. We will see next year.

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Jim,
    Your #3 should be "Pink Peppermint". It is readily available. If you do an internet search like: daylily "Pink Peppermint"

It will turn up several vendors who carry it.

• shortyhead
    15 years ago

Thanks, Berry. Anyone know where can get Natalie Antoinette?

Jim

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Jim, Marietta has it on their price list for 09. I saw it at Champion Daylilies for a better price however but the best price I've seen it for was at the Stamiles website, Floyd Cove for $50.00. You might try them first to see if it's available, if you haven't already. :)
    Jan

• Cindy zone 6a
    15 years ago

This has been a really interesting posting, loving the pictures,

Jim /// Natalie Antoinette can be purchased with Marietta, Champion Daylilies and Water Mill Gardens. Water Mill seems to be the best buy right now, although Champion has free shipping if you place an order before Jan 31, Good luck in your search.

Cindy

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

I purchased Natalie Antoniette from Floyd Cove yesterday for $50. That is the price on their website.

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

I really love my huge dip GLENN FLETCHER MEMORIAL - 7.5"
    {{gwi:649655}}

JUDY RUTH - 7"
    {{gwi:647234}}

MISS JESSIE - 7"
    {{gwi:647238}}

CLOTHED IN GLORY - 7"
    {{gwi:650742}}

CRYSTAL SEA - 6.75", but I just love the true pink of this one
    {{gwi:650757}}

Muscial Medley 6.5"
    {{gwi:672110}}

Mildred Mitchell 6.5"
    {{gwi:655988}}

Levi Davis 6.5"
    {{gwi:652062}}
    And I have a bunch that I just put in and have not bloomed yet... so next year I should have photos of:

Laughing Skies -10"
    Wren's Song 7" (beautiful photo Jan)
    Riders of The Storm (only one bloom this year, but UGLY) 7"
    Henry Boykin 7"
    Visual Arrest 6.5"
    Flamboyant Diva 6.5"
    Love Spills Over 6.5"

So I guess I have the addiction too!!

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Poo, I didn't even know I'm addicted! Just went through my records and found that 33% of my named cultivars are 6.5 inches or above. In fact, 25% of my daylilies are 7" or more. Guess I need to apologize to Grace Stamile that I'm remiss in purchasing more of her miniatures!

Amazing, simply amazing!!

• sharons2
    15 years ago

BeachLily, surely you're planning to give us a list, aren't you?

I just got Shores of Time, but it hasn't bloomed for me yet. I thought it was huge when I saw it once, but no one has listed it. Perhaps it is only a 6" flower?

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Oh, Shores of Time sure is a lovely... but registered as a 5.5", and it is about that in my garden. Just imagine two more inches on that puppy, and that is how big GFM is!

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Well, will you settle for part of a list?

Altamonte Springs and Stranger than Paradise (Morss); Apache Bandana, Cricket Call, Licorice Twist, Laughing Feather-- all Ned Roberts; Back Scratcher (D. Hansen); Crossfire Hurricane, Magnificent Hummingbird, Blueberry Cream Swirls, On the Web, Orchid Octopus, Stellar Star, Tall Tower--all by Lambertson; French Twist, Helix, Inky Fingers, Lacy All Over, Laughing Skies, Lonesome Heart, Midnight Raider, Natalie Antoinette, Orange Grove, Pink Duality, Rhubarb Pie, Song Writer--all by Pat Stamile; Ledgewood Irish Spirit, Ledgewood Stolen Dreams (both by Abajian); Lemonberry Truffle, Linda Dubitz, Shangri La Truffle--all by Kirchhoff; Peacock Maiden (K. Carpenter); Spacecoast Jimbo Saddler (Kinnebrew). There are others, but this is most of them!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

beachlily,

Have you seen Orange Grove in person? According to Stamile's description, the size is 6.5". I've ordered it for the spring delivery, so I am really curious.

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

alina, I saw it in their gardens last year before it was named. Pat told me, and I agree, the picture doesn't do it justice.

One of the big perks of growing daylilies in Florida is that we plant from November to about February. I was there last week and all the plants were big and bold in their pots and I got to choose from all the stock. Usually, I go there in May and then everything is picked over and looks ratty. Boy, Guy Pierce made sure I got at least 4 fans per pot. Those plants really look good!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Great, I hope it will perform well in my zone 6/7. I am looking forward to seeing new Stamile's intros blooming in my garden... Was the color as bold as on Floyd Cove's pictures? Did you see Talladega in bloom?

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

It should be fine in 6/7. I used to live in the Atlanta area (7) and most evergreens and dormants did just fine.

Yes, Orange Grove's color was somewhat bolder than the picture. I just don't remember if I saw Talladega or not, didn't make much of an impression, I guess.

• sharons2
    14 years ago

I got Absolute Treasure last Fall, so I hope to see it in bloom this year; but I haven't seen any scapes on it yet. Only three of my daylilies (besides Stella and Happy Returns) have begun blooming so far; so it's not too late in the season, yet. But hopefully, it's a late bloomer.

I got Clothed in Glory this year, and I should be getting Crystal Sea this Fall; so one of these days, I should get to see a real whopper in my yard. Do America the Beautiful or Blue Pink Beauty count as whoppers? They were awfully big.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

I'm glad this post came back around. I had Newberry Festival bloom this year and it is a huge 7" bloom. Had 4 blooming at once and it was impressive next to my newly planted Wedding Band and Lone Wolf.

NEWBERRY FESTIVAL

Vickie

• katladie
    14 years ago

This is a NOID, it was give to us by a teacher up at my daughter's school, nine years ago. She didn't know the name. In our horrible La. clay this one measures 9". I love it's size, but can never get a really good picture of it:

It would probably be good for hybridizing if you could figure out the ploidity. (sp)

Sharon

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Ooh ooh, I bought Baffin Bay Beauty not knowing it was a whopper! Hasn't bloomed yet. I did not realize that daylilies bloomed this big.

• katladie
    14 years ago

Oops, sorry, I didn't rotate the pic.

sharon

• bellasmom06
    14 years ago

I have a huge yellow spider called Monster that is very nice.
    Kathy

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Well, since this floated back to the top, I can add photos of those I listed last year, that bloomed this year! :o)

FLAMBOYANT DIVA 6.5"

HEAVENLY MANSIONS (new this year) 6.5"

HILL STREET BLUES (new this year) 6.5"

JAZZ AFTER FIVE 6.5"

VISUAL ARREST 6.5" with buddy HENRY BOYKIN 7"

RIDERS OF THE STORM 7"

ROMAN COHORT 7"

WREN'S SONG 7"

KATHERINE CALDWELL 8"
    {{gwi:697984}}

LAUGHING SKIES 10"

• uroboros5
    14 years ago

KING GEORGE >9"

GABRIEL DES NUANCES >8" >>>> on a spectacular >42" scape!

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Wow, I LOVED this thread, I slowly read thru this all night!
    Thanks Debra, again!

Rena'

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Most of my bigger ones are UF's. Lavender Rainbow gets a 7.5" bloom.

• signet_gw(6b)
    11 years ago

A few big bodacious yellows I grow here are older but real beauties . One ,Big Yellow Taxi is a newer one that comes in at 7 inches ,Hildred West is 10 inches and Look Here Mary tips the scales at 11 inches across .

Signet

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rena' - How do you get to these older messages? I can't get anything posted more than a year ago to come up. That didn't used to be the case for me.

Debra

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Hi Debra!

#1 GW's search bar even forum specific search bar doesn't work very well. So I use Google, I look up a specific cultivar ex. Citrix. I type in (Google) Daylily Citrix 1st and see what comes up. Then I type in Daylily Citrix gardenweb and it will pull up tons of stuff. It will then give the option 'show all gardenweb' and I hit that and then sometimes depending on the cultivar it will pull up tons of GW threads. But even with all of this sometimes you still may pull up zero (on a particular cultivar) and I search up images. I then hover my mouse over the image and it will show me the source of the pic without actually having to click on the pic and be directed to the source of it And a lot of times I may go thru pages of images hovering my mouse to try and find a gardenweb thread in hopes that maybe someone will have more in depth info. such as strong grower/weak grower, hates the south/loves the south etc.

I find so many super cool threads. I soooo want to comment on many more however I didn't want to get on everyones nerves commenting on thus bringing to the top old threads. So I try and reserve my commenting on ones that I find as precious as gold. You seem to have lots that fit that category Debra! I love these threads! And I am a new daylily grower/collector so these are so enlightening. There are soooo many cultivars available I try to find good opinions on the ones that I want before I bid/buy them.

I can't ever just seem to be a 'regular' gardener I obsess over and collect whatever plant I am into for that year or two. Buy books on it, spend tons of time reading up on it and of course buying too. lol

It's not my only hobby but by far my favorite and I've shelved my other hobbies for the time being. But I do get burn out and (usually in the winter) swear off all my major gardening but then Spring rolls around and I'm back at it full force again. lol

Rena'

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rena' - Thanks for sharing how you found and resurrected these older threads. I totally understand your obsessiveness over the gardening hobby. I wish I were a little less obsessessed, now that I don't have as much time or the knees to maintain my gardens as well as I used to.

Debra

• Jon.69367
    10 years ago

I have a lot of trouble getting good pictures of my daylilies. The colors sometimes don't even turn out remotely close, and I have an 8-mp digital camera with various settings. I have several 7-inch daylilies too, and I'm starting to auction some of them off, and I have to write a disclaimer that the color isn't right. I've attached "Priceless" to show how washed-out the color is.