Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your opinion on the following plants

Posted by del_s 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 12:35

I would appreciate the opinions of all you experts out there who grow the following plants. I have opportunity to purchase these, can't afford all of them, and have been around long enough to know that not all plants are created equal. I would like to have some "blue eyes" in our garden and would like to have your assessment of these plants.
Bit of Blue, Stamile, 2004
Blue Desire, Gossard, 2007
Blue Oasis, Salter-E.H., 2002
Dixie Blues, Stamile-G., 2004
Honky Tonk Blues, Stamile-G., 2002
In the Navy, Salter-E.H., 1993
Mississippi Blues, Stamile, 2004
Sorcerer�s Hat, Salter-E.H., 2003
Which Way, Stamile, 2005

I have been assured that these are doing well in a zone almost as cool as mine. Thanks in advance.
Del

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your opinion on the following plants

In the Navy did not do well here in zone 6a. In 2009, Floota reported that it took three tries for it to live in her warmer zone.

o

Sorry, I don't grow any of them...and since I'm so much warmer, it wouldn't help if I did.
kay

o

BLUE DESIRE has done fine ( I'm on edge of 6/7);Blue Oasis, Dixie Blues and Honky Tonk Blues all do well. I'd advise against IN THE NAVY, as it can be marginal in colder climates.
Don't know about the others.

o

Thank you all for your input. Floota, is there any one of those that you would particularly recommend?

o

I got MISSISSIPPI BLUES as a bonus a year ago, and I like it so far. Here is a pretty true photo of it from my garden. Depending on the lighting, that eye has more or less blue in it.

Nate

o

I can't say very much about any of your possible choices, except that I've been wary of Liz Salter's blue daylilies. Whether I'm being overly cautious, though, I don't know.

Since you're in zone 3 (?), you might search daylily sellers in your zone up to, I don't know, zone 5 perhaps, for the ones you're considering. I often do that if I'm considering the purchase of daylilies that could be dicey where I live. Ideally, you'd like the sellers to have grown the plant for several years, thus suggesting that it's hardy in that zone.

I can recommend a beautiful "blue"-eyed daylily from a Massachusetts hybridizer: GREYWOODS CHASIN' THE BLUES (Darlyn Wilkinson 2011). It's currently sold out on the hybridizer's website, but someone else may have it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here