Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First daylily order - any insight on the following?

Posted by Karolina11 6b Central PA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 12:36

I have had a bed of "ditch lilies" and some Stella D'Oro daylilies on our property and have enjoyed them. However, after lurking around this forum, two days ago I placed my first order of daylilies. I went for mostly inexpensive varieties as I am just easing into them. Can anyone provide any insight into the following -
AVIS JEAN
bernie BERNIE
BLAZING FLAME
CHINA BRIDE
COMMANDMENT
COUSIN JEWEL
CREATIVE MOMENTS
DEMPSEY RED VELVET
DESTINY'S CHILD
DOUBLE HARVEST MOON
DOUBLE JOANNA
ENCORE OF BEAUTY
FOREVER LOVELY
FRENCH TUDOR
GARDEN SHOW
GINA LOUISE
GINGHAM MAID
GOLDEN CHANCE
HAVANNA DAY DREAMING
JAN JOHNSON
JEDI DOT PIERCE
JEDI DREAMER
LAND OF COTTON
MARY FRANCES RAGAIN
MERRY WITCH
ROCK LOBSTER
NOVEL IDEA
OOMPH PAH
PEARL HARBOR
PURPLE ON WHITE
SCARLET ORBIT
SHERRY LANE CARR
SONG IN MY HEART
SPEGIEL
STYLE PLUS
TAR AND FEATHER
TOMMIE LEE JOINER
TRAHLYTA
ZELLA VIRGINIA

I am especially interested in:
-which of these does best in partial shade (4-6 hours of light)
-which ones require any special care, and if so, what do they need
-any companion plant recommendations for these. I am designing a few new beds and would love to know what some good combinations people have are!

Thank you for enabling me to finally place this order and thanks for any information on the above!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First daylily order - any insight on the following?

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 17:00

The only one on your list that I grow is Sherry Lane Carr. Got a mild case of rust in my garden this year, but nothing too serious. From experience I can tell you it's not one of the daylilies that likes too much shade. An eastern exposure is fine, but it really needs more then 6 hours of sunlight to bloom its best. A pretty, steady, reliable daylily that I think is a good choice. As to shade tolerant daylilies, that term always makes me nervous. Daylilies really are not shade plants, but since you defined it as 6 hours of sunlight, from personal experience, here are a few that do well in my garden under those conditions: Velvet Shadows, Green Mystique, Bittersweet Destiny (if you don't have rust in your area), Rose Masterpiece, Sour Puss, Mr. Lucky. The link below is a list of older daylillies that are reputed to be more shade tolerant.....Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade tolerant daylilies

o

The only ones on your list that I have is PEARL HARBOR and TRAHLYTA. Oldies but goodies. Both do excellent here. BUT I do have my daylilies in full sun for more than 6 hours. Not sure if either of those would like less sun.

Julia

o

I grow PEARL HARBOR and SHERRY LANE CARR but in a mostly sunny bed. They are both good performers. SLC has one of the highest bud counts in my garden. I used to grow SCARLET ORBIT and had it in a partly shady bed because it had melted in full sun. It didn't melt in the shadier bed, but the bud count was under 10.
Val

o

Fabulous. I have had no issues with rust here thus far thankfully. Good to know about the shade tolerance on those four, they will get penciled into beds tomorrow! Quite excited about SLC now too! Thank you much!

o

Trahlyta IS a good oldie. I also have Merry Witch, it can fade a bit in the sun and water spot-but large blooms and hearty grower.

o

That photo is gorgeous! I definitely need to find a special spot for Merry Witch, thank you!

o

Where did you find China Bride? Ive been looking all over for that one.

o

Zella Virginia--a marvelous little double and reblooms. Scarlet Orbit--a classic red that won't disappoint. Tar and Feather always attracts attention here, though not a fast increaser. French Tudor is a soft pink with a watermarked eye.

o

Cavamarie, I got China Bride at earlybirddaylilies but I just looked through their list and they seem to be out now.

Mantis, by not a fast increaser do you mean the size of the clump?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here