Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

First daylily order - any insight on the following?

Karolina11
11 years ago

I have had a bed of "ditch lilies" and some Stella D'Oro daylilies on our property and have enjoyed them. However, after lurking around this forum, two days ago I placed my first order of daylilies. I went for mostly inexpensive varieties as I am just easing into them. Can anyone provide any insight into the following -

AVIS JEAN

bernie BERNIE

BLAZING FLAME

CHINA BRIDE

COMMANDMENT

COUSIN JEWEL

CREATIVE MOMENTS

DEMPSEY RED VELVET

DESTINY'S CHILD

DOUBLE HARVEST MOON

DOUBLE JOANNA

ENCORE OF BEAUTY

FOREVER LOVELY

FRENCH TUDOR

GARDEN SHOW

GINA LOUISE

GINGHAM MAID

GOLDEN CHANCE

HAVANNA DAY DREAMING

JAN JOHNSON

JEDI DOT PIERCE

JEDI DREAMER

LAND OF COTTON

MARY FRANCES RAGAIN

MERRY WITCH

ROCK LOBSTER

NOVEL IDEA

OOMPH PAH

PEARL HARBOR

PURPLE ON WHITE

SCARLET ORBIT

SHERRY LANE CARR

SONG IN MY HEART

SPEGIEL

STYLE PLUS

TAR AND FEATHER

TOMMIE LEE JOINER

TRAHLYTA

ZELLA VIRGINIA

I am especially interested in:

-which of these does best in partial shade (4-6 hours of light)

-which ones require any special care, and if so, what do they need

-any companion plant recommendations for these. I am designing a few new beds and would love to know what some good combinations people have are!

Thank you for enabling me to finally place this order and thanks for any information on the above!

Comments (9)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

The only one on your list that I grow is Sherry Lane Carr. Got a mild case of rust in my garden this year, but nothing too serious. From experience I can tell you it's not one of the daylilies that likes too much shade. An eastern exposure is fine, but it really needs more then 6 hours of sunlight to bloom its best. A pretty, steady, reliable daylily that I think is a good choice. As to shade tolerant daylilies, that term always makes me nervous. Daylilies really are not shade plants, but since you defined it as 6 hours of sunlight, from personal experience, here are a few that do well in my garden under those conditions: Velvet Shadows, Green Mystique, Bittersweet Destiny (if you don't have rust in your area), Rose Masterpiece, Sour Puss, Mr. Lucky. The link below is a list of older daylillies that are reputed to be more shade tolerant.....Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade tolerant daylilies

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

The only ones on your list that I have is PEARL HARBOR and TRAHLYTA. Oldies but goodies. Both do excellent here. BUT I do have my daylilies in full sun for more than 6 hours. Not sure if either of those would like less sun.

Julia

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

I grow PEARL HARBOR and SHERRY LANE CARR but in a mostly sunny bed. They are both good performers. SLC has one of the highest bud counts in my garden. I used to grow SCARLET ORBIT and had it in a partly shady bed because it had melted in full sun. It didn't melt in the shadier bed, but the bud count was under 10.
    Val

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fabulous. I have had no issues with rust here thus far thankfully. Good to know about the shade tolerance on those four, they will get penciled into beds tomorrow! Quite excited about SLC now too! Thank you much!

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Trahlyta IS a good oldie. I also have Merry Witch, it can fade a bit in the sun and water spot-but large blooms and hearty grower.

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That photo is gorgeous! I definitely need to find a special spot for Merry Witch, thank you!

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

Where did you find China Bride? Ive been looking all over for that one.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Zella Virginia--a marvelous little double and reblooms. Scarlet Orbit--a classic red that won't disappoint. Tar and Feather always attracts attention here, though not a fast increaser. French Tudor is a soft pink with a watermarked eye.

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cavamarie, I got China Bride at earlybirddaylilies but I just looked through their list and they seem to be out now.

Mantis, by not a fast increaser do you mean the size of the clump?