Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

OT: My bulbs are all planted.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I am so happy that my bulbs are finially all planted. It really was a temendous amount of work.

Of course I have been working on planting these bulbs starting in October and thru most of November. But FINIALLY I got finished yesterday. Was too tired to post about it yesterday.

Earlier (in October) I had posted that I had bought 4,144 bulbs. But THAT was before I added two more bulb orders. One from Bloomingbulb.com and one from Scheepers. That put my bulb total at 4,999 bulbs. I can hardly believe it. I really must be completely daft!

So �
800 dutchgrown direct from holland
72 Brecks (already planted)
187 American Meadows
825 Colorblends
660 Brent& Beckies
1,600 Van Engelen
210 bloomingbulb.com
645 Scheepers

Bulbs break down as tulips for the most common, then crocus. Numbers-
Tulips- 2,866
Crocus- 1,150
Daffodils- 588
Iris Reticulata- 200
Dutch Iris- 170
Hyacinths- 25

It all adds up to 4,999 bulbs.

Comments (11)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Wow! You did realloy well, and it will be beautiful. My bulbs from Scheepers have (supposedly) been shipped as of yesterday, so I will be planting, but many fewer than you.
    kay

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Rita,
    I was in your 'neck of the woods' yesterday! My husband had a seminar in Port Washington and I had all day to kill with nothing to do and wished I knew where you lived. Are you anywhere near there? We stayed overnight in Rosyln.
    We drove down Sunday and it took 7 straight hours to get down there and 8 hours (lots of traffic jams) to get home yesterday....we didn't get home until after 1:00 a.m. (too much driving in 2 days for me!!) I think he will be having to go down again at some point & if I could maybe connect with you I 'might' decide all that driving is worth it...LOL. It would be cool to meet a forum friend in person.
    If I'd seen you yesterday, I would have helped you plant those bulbs!

You are one ambitious gardener with all those bulbs! But I totally get it because that's just how I garden. I always undertake major projects and everybody just shakes their heads and smiles because that's what I love to do...but they think I'm a little nuts...LOL.

Celeste

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I meant to say we stayed in ROSLYN (not rosyln). But I'll bet you knew what I meant.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did know what you ment. Roslyn is only about 20 minutes away!!!!!!! Not that there is anything to see much in my garden now that it is so late in the year. Daylily season is better!!!!

I really hope I don't get this crazy again as it really was too much overboard what with all those bulbs had to get planted. But it is going to be a stunning spring show. I will be taking lots of pictures.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

It will be stunning!!!Good for you, and everyone here gets it!!! WE understand your crazies!
    Cindy

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you finished. It boggles my mind to think of planting that many bulbs. I won't count how many I did till I pull out all the order forms in the winter. All I know is I was tired when it was all done.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I think everyone here must understand my crazies. After all, I get them a lot ha-ha! But my daylily beds were always supposed to get bulbs in and around them. It is just that I moved so many of those darn daylilies around for years that I really couldn't get into the bulbs. Finially I was able to get to plant lilies and then start on the spring bulbs a few years ago. Been improving on the bulbs ever since.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was just reading a post on the Daylilies For Northern Climates e-mail group where the poster an hour south of Toronto Canada still has bulbs to plant. Must be really running out of time up there to get them done and planted.

• wildbirds
    11 years ago

Just for a little clarification: "... an hour south of Toronto" would put you somewhere south of Rochester in upper New York State. Toronto is situated right on the north shore of Lake Ontario across from Rochester. Some areas of southern Ontario could be rated USA Z6 - perhaps even 6.5-7. Today I will be planting a few left over bulbs - albeit quite unusual hereabouts (Combo of clearance sales & procrastination.) Today is a damp gray day of about 50+ Fahrenheit. Most of southern Ontario has not yet experienced any significant winter weather this season. An hour north of Toronto would probably place one in a USA Z4-5 region.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

We got snow yesterday and temps have been in the 20's here so it's really looking wintery. I did hear that it is supposed to 'warm up' soon but the ground is already hard and frozen so even if I had bulbs to plant it's too late. This is the first year I haven't planted any bulbs. I just don't have any more room. Rita, if there is a 'next time' for hubby's seminar on Long Island I will contact you. Maybe that fun neighbor of yours can mix us up a drink and we can do some garden work...LOL.

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste, we could have a grand time together and Margaritas wouldn't hurt. Ha-ha!

Well, I am not much sure what is where in Canada and just repeated what the poster wrote about location. But they are definately in Canada, not the US so not so much down south.

I think it unwise to leave bulb planting this late as you never know when the ground will be frozen solid and then what. I am just very glad my bulbs are all planted.