Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

I am really going to stay off the auction...really

organic_kitten
11 years ago

Boredom is so expensive. And five or six pages of 2012 intros with few bids...plus so many others...I have already got three for spring delivery:

Laura Harwood

Indian Ripple

Indigo Edge

I am going to stay off, at least for a while, because I have no will power, and there are others I want...and when the price is good, and no-one bids against you...

kay

Comments (43)

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Sure you will, if only I had a dollar for every time I said enough.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Sure you will. I have heard that before and I know thats your story and your sticking to it but I know it is not gonna last!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Linda and Rita, you know how it is. right now it is off season, the weather's not good, you're bored, and so you decide to see what is on the auction...just looking mind you. Then...oops. "look at that price! I have been wanting that one. Hmmm, I'll just bid, and won't bid again...it's a great bargain...and few days later..."Congratulations, you won...".

And that probably will happen again.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

That is why I don't even go look at The LA. Looking always leads to buying something that I just can't resist. Better not to look at all.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

A little bird told me that Annette - Thoroughbred - will be listing more goodies :-). But you don't care, right? Your not looking, not even a peek. ;-)

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Nope, Not looking.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia is being very enabling today...:)
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

If those don't suit anyone, I know that Karen "possumhollow" is also listing on the LA for the Morry intros. I did buy several last year which I planted this past spring. Hoping to see them all bloom in 2013 :-).

Julia

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I was thinking about bidding on something that Possumhollow was offering. Does anyone know if she is a good seller?

susan

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Kay-you'll love Laura Harwood. It makes dark seedlings too if you like to play with that.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Susan: possumhollow is Karen Newman and I've bought from her(see my post above). No problems and very honest from my experience.

Julia

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Thanks Julia!

• crackingtheconcrete
    11 years ago

I'm not sure I believe this statement - and now you've encouraged me to go look. ;) But your boredom statement is totally quotable!

• FlowerGardener
    11 years ago

You will love Laura Harwood she put on a real show in my garden this year a real show off. Unlike you I am going to watch the lily auction I have been for years and still find a few to add to the garden. Only have one coming from the LA for next year so far and three from hybridizers. I tried Indian Ripple it did not like it here it up and died. They only get one chance here there are so many others to choose from that will like it here...Betty

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I'm getting 'Laura Harwood' from Blueridge. Love the color on that one. I have gotten some real good deals this past month.

susan

• sophies
    11 years ago

I wasn't going to get any more daylilies, my garden is full, and then I saw Heartbeat of Heaven on the LA. The rest is history. I just couldn't help myself. The next thing I knew I had won it. Don't know where I will put it but I had to have it. I am so addicted, I can't seem to help myself.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I just bought 'Colorado Moon fire', someone recommended it on the thread, 'Longest Blooming Daylilies' they have one thread from 2010 and one from 2012. Both have some great recommendations. I have gotten several like MOONLIT MASQUERADE, EDGE OF YOUR SEAT, BELLA SERA, ROYAL JESTER, ZEPHYR'S SONG, ADAMAS,'Radiation Biohazard','New Series',and 'Purple Maze'. The one I just bought from Falcon_g on LA was just 8.00,(CMF) I also got MOONLIT MASQUERADE for 6.00. I like these rebloomers for extending the bloom time, and most are not expensive.

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

I find the Lily Auction a great place to do Christmas shopping for my daylily friends and relatives.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well shoot! I'm not the only one, huh? There have been some really good buys lately, but I'm not sure where to put many new ones. I do have a couple still coming in spring, and will doubtlessly manage to be bored and wander over there again.
    CTC, you know I will never stay off all winter!
    Flowergardener, I was enabled by all the lovely photos of Laura Harwood. I am looking forward to seeing how she does here.
    Givmeflowers, Blueridge is a good one to buy from, and I was one who recommended Colorado Moonfire to you and everyone. It is a wonderful bloom factory for me. It blooms early and late and all along.
    Sophies, I can so identify with your experience...that is what gets me in trouble. Now where will that fit in?

Edward, that is a very nice thing to do...I may need to think about that. There has been a really good selection lately.
    kay

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Thanks kay, I appreciate all your pictures and everyone else's too. I have been lurking for a long time and I do listen and I like good advice!

edward, great idea for a Christmas gift. I just gave myself one!

susan

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan,
    What did you buy?
    kay

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I got 'SPACE WARP' this morning , yippee!
    It will be number 7 from 'Farmerbell', very nice lady and she has some great daylilies! So far I got WHITE BASE, LAVENDER INFUSION, WONDER OF IT ALL, CAROL TODD, VOILA FRANCOIS, and JUNE CARTER.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You've gotten some real beauties. Great fun, isn't it?

kay

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Thanks Kay! I have been having a blast! Hoping to wrap up a couple of things I am bidding on and that will be it. You know you have too many Daylilies when you buy the same one twice. Time for me to stop!
    Have you ever purchased from Mike144mann? He only sells single fans but I got some good ones from him and after I won one I went back and got another. So I have two of everything I got from him. The last one I am biding on is a second 'Sherry Candy'.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Just as an FYI, IF anyone is interested. Robin Calderon is selling out. Earlybird Daylilies. She is running a special that if you pay by end of December she will take 25% off your order. Plants will be shipped in the spring. She indicated that her website will be updated with the discount, etc.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I am very sorry to hear that she is going out if business.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! I hate to hear that since she had always been an excellent seller.
    kay

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

(Whine alert) You know what really irritates me? The vendors on the Lily Auction that only offer a single fan. How cheap can you be? I refuse to bid on any of them. Especially when theres so many really good sellers on there that practically send a clump. And those single-fan sellers have the nerve to charge $10 to ship it!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

cavamarie: They want you to buy more and sometimes they will include any additional buys included in the box for the initial $10.00. Was this the case with the one you saw? I gave up long time ago buying single fans. Single fans struggled too much here in my garden.
    Shipping is only going up again in 2013. :-(.

Julia

• FlowerGardener
    11 years ago

It is very rare that I will buy single fans it usually takes longer for them to get established. Sometimes if it is a hard to find plant I will buy. Once in a great while a plant will surprise a person and multply quickly from a single fan, I like when that happens.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I got some single fans from Mike44mann. I have heard that they are big and I only paid half price for them. Then I went back and got a second single fan so I ended up with two fans for what I would have paid for a double fan. The $10 is a base price which includes the box and the packing, etc. Then if you read the fine print you can add extra daylilies for 1,2,or $3 per plant depending on the seller, so order from people that have more than one plant that you like so the shipping will come out right. I would really have to want something pretty bad to pay $10 for one plant.
    Speaking of clump, I just bought the hugest clump I ever saw on the LA. I got it from earthstar, a 12 fan clump of 'Prairie Moonlight' for only $10. I think I stole that plant! Seems like it would cost more than that to ship, but I already paid the $10 base, so it will ship for $1.00, that is his price for additional plants, and that is how you make out. :)

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

I know all about how shipping works, I ship daylilies myself. My point being, if I was sending a single fan (and I never do), I could probably put it in a padded envelope for $3! A single fan would never cost anywhere close to $10 to send. Box and packing are free, boxes from the PO and packing usually subsists of some newspaper. When I buy regular fans from other sellers, the first plant is $10, whether a clump or a double fan. As I said, Im just totally whining, but when Im going thru 5 pages of LA offerings, and 99 percent of them are single fans, its just not fun. I agree with single fans never growing well. It can take 3 years to get a bloom from them, if they even thrive. Whine whine whine.....

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

If that was you who bought the single fans of Sherry Candy, you probably paid too much. Ive seen a lot of double fans for what you paid for a single.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

At the time there was a double that went for $26 and I got the two singles for $12 each. I saw that someone started an auction the same day I bought the second one.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Well, I've never gotten a daylily in a padded envelope, the boxes barely hold up they are so thin now a days.

I am surprised that they take so long to bloom if you live in Florida.

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

Single fans take longer to bloom. I read a study somewhere that showed that having 2 fans connected showed a much more rapid response to blooming than a single fan. I sometimes split up a plant and have errant fans that I plant, and the single ones just sit. The doubles take off. Anyway, I was just whining. So many of them Id love to have, except for them being singles. I guess I should be greatful they are singles, saving me a lot of money. Whine whine whine.....

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I was just looking through some of my pictures and I have a single fan that I got from a seller that is almost three times bigger than a double I got from another seller. Don't want to mention names, but would it not depend on the size also?
    I did lose one auction for the cheaper price but I was happy to get one and there were a few that I could not afford the double fan because it was going for $50 or so and If I can snag a single for $20 then it is worth the wait for me, at least I have one.(the plant on the right is a single fan) What do you think?

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

That is a nice size fan, but its obvious the seller cut it in two so he could sell 2 single fans instead of a double. Hope it develops and blooms quickly for you.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Thank you, I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

I buy the single fans since they are cheaper and I wouldn't be able to afford some of the newer lilies as double fans. Just like seeds, I'm willing to wait a little until they bloom to offset the price.

As far as bonues go, I'd rather have bonus of fans of the lily I purchased than something I don't like. I've thrown out many a bonus because of this. And I've never noticed this "bonus policy" except in the daylily world! I always thought it was nice, but strange. I don't get bonuses at Walmart, so I wouldn't expect one here. Nice, though, don't get me wrong.

As far as the auctions, I got rid of a ton of daylilies in 2012 so I could make room for some newer and fancier ones. I've gotten some great ones this year with some good prices. I've got about 10 more lilies on my list to go and I've already purchased 5 in the Fall and have 7 coming in the Spring. I can't wait!!!

• virginialily
    11 years ago

I am really excited about spring also, I have a lot of new daylilies coming. I do not expect a bonus but if they want to add a little something to the box before they ship that is fine. I have decided to use my unwanted plants for trades and maybe I can get something I like.

Also, with Mike144, I did buy two fans of each daylily. So if I plant them together they will do better or do I have to tie them together first? Does it make a difference?
    I have gotten a few fans which were supposed to be doubles but they had rubber-bands around the crown and when I took it off they separated. So I still have two single fans.
    I did order some others that are just singles because it was something I really wanted and was willing to wait a little longer for blooms.

• virginialily
    11 years ago

Has anyone purchased daylilies from 'Thelilypad'?

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Nice going Kay and I know you will avoid the auction...uh huh!!Ellie

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area