Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs planted, now for the mulching.

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 16:35

I had been working on planting my tulip and Daffodil bulbs that came earlier and finially got them finished today. Not that many really. Only 225 Daffs and 85 tulips this year. Not like the crazy numbers I had to plant last fall!

So now on to the mulching for winter with fall leaves that I like to get done if at all possible. I usually take leaves in the fall now and then pack them in around my daylilies in the daylily beds. If I do that now and really thick for the fall, it lasts the entire summer and I don't have to do as much in the spring. If I don't mulch them now then I do have to go out in the spring and mulch. That means buy straw as there are no leaves to be had in the spring. So I really do like to use the fall leaves as the price is right as they are free and I have to buy the hay. And the daylilies love their snuggley winter mulch if it is fall leaves or hay but the fall leaves mean fall less weeds get started in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs planted, now for the mulching.

I just finished planting my daffs, & have been mulching with the pine needles that I've raked up. I was just raking up a couple of cartfuls a day & mulching, but today DH helped & I got a lot moved. I raked up a lot & he moved them on the large cart. My shoulders are aching, but I sure hope I don't have to weed as much next year.

o

That sounds like a LOT of bulbs to me, Rita. Somehow I've got to find time to plant a measly 15 tulip bulbs in the next week or so. I've started mulching, but need to do a lot more weeding before I can put the rest down. We've lost so many trees in my neighborhood from drought and storms that leaves are hard to come by this fall. I'm using pine straw.

Debra

o

Good for you, Rita. The other other hundred bulbs from Scheepers were planted today, and I put wire down where they had stolen the last bulbs. You are ahead of me if all you have to do is mulching. I still have some weeding and other work to do before I will be ready to put everything bye for the winter..A few more beautiful days like today would surely help. The temps were gorgeous!

kay

o

Debra, it doesn't seem like much to me as last year I planted litterally thousands of bulbs. That sure was a BIG job! Just couldn't face getting that many this year as I just didn't want to plant many this fall.

Nancy, the pine needles sound like they are working great. Sometimes I can find afew bags of pine needles but not enough to do much around here.

Kay, always some weeding to do before putting down much but really not much. Just basicly time to pile on the fall leaves in this daylily beds.

o

I noticed this spring, i didn't have any daffs no where,except maybe less then six in the front yard.I may looks inwalmart and see if they have some little bags of bulbs, thats cheap. and plant some where. Deer wont eat them,so I be safe to plant some out in the side yard or back yard.....

jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here