Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_ar

For kay;

jean_ar
10 years ago

Kay: I do hope you are doing much better now.I check the forum about every day, but seems no one pots this time of year.I had a Doctors appointment yesterday, and I have been having a arm(shoulder) messed up for a couple months.I see the dr every 3 months.He makes the next appointment before I leave his office on each visit.Guess he learned I don't go to a dr unless I am really bad sick, Anyway, he said I have either a torn muscle or maybe a stretched muscle in my rotary cuff in the shoulder.Showed me a bunch of therapy exercises to do for it and says if its torn, this will help it mend itself, if not, might have to have surgery to fix it later.I told him I am all for the exercise to avoid any surgery on it.I had neve heard of a rotary cuff before, so was surprised. yhope you are doing good or at least better.

jean

Comments (4)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Bless your heart, Jean, rotary cuff surgery is the pits. Takes a lot of therapy to get over, so do the exercises and pray. I will add you to my prayer list.

I am somewhat better. I have decided it is something I will have to learn to live with, along with the other fun things. At least my weight has finally more or less stabilized, so I feel stronger. There is still so much of my yard that needs attention, but it will have to keep waiting.

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. My granddaughter and her boyfriend are the only ones I'm expecting here, which will be kind of nice.

Thank you for asking about me, and do try to take care of yourself.
    kay

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you kay,I had never heard of no rotary cuff before.When I went to the Dr it wasn't hurting that bad I didn't think, course my dr has always said I am very tolerant of pain,meaning I can handle more then most(he said that) but, since going to the dr and doing these exrecises, it is hurting really bad now.cant hardly move my are or pick it up to waist level, but,I am not one to give up so I will do the exercises.. Will a ice pack help any with the pain??and help it to heal?.Thank you for any help. hope your thanksgiving is great. and your family all well.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Jean: I had a tear in my rotator cuff a couple of years ago.The only way they knew was I had an MRI done to figure out why I had so much pain when lifting my arm. I decided not to do the surgery and instead went to a physical therapist and yes, it does hurt BAD. Couldn't sleep and would wake up with severe pain and like you, could not lift my arm very high before the pain became excruciating.
    I went for 3 months - twice a week to the physical therapist and glad that I did. One thing I found that the therapist recommended was to lay on my side with my arm on top of a bed pillow, sorta like hugging without really hugging it so my arm was more elevated and cushioned.

Take care of yourself and give therapy a try. If you haven't fully torn the cuff and only have a tear, it will heal but it will take time.

Julia

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU so much Julia..The Dr showed me some therapy exercises to do and I been doing that,hurts but it beats surgery to me, when you don't have insurance to help with the bill.I will do therapy any day instead of surgery.The dr said its either torn or its stretched and the therapy might help it.I did sleep with my arm on a pillow a couple nights, because my younger daughter suggested that it may help.I cant lay on my back at all because of severe back problems, so I have to lay on one side or the other,and right now, it only gives me my right side to lay on,since its my left ahoulder and arm that's hurting.My young daughter is taking therapy several times a week, too as she has a pinched nerve in her shoulder.but, I will be sleeping with a pillow under the arm now amd sure hope it helps.Thank you so much JUlia, I appreciate any help I can get with this pain.

jean