Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edward_kimball_gw

Not buying many for next spring

Edward_Kimball
11 years ago

I have been complaining that my garden is full for a few years now but I manage to shoehorn 10-12 more in each year. This year I have ordered one daylily and I am getting one daylily from my mother-in law. The two daylilies are Heir to the Throne (Korth) and Lemon Curls (Waldrop). I wonder how long I can hold out.

Edward

Comments (16)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I keep saying the same thing but in the end, I add more.

Seedlings are taking over my extra bed space so in order to get more next year, I have to eliminate a couple next year. It is also a good time to evaluate those that are better off in a warmer climate.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

So far I haven't bought any for next year. I'm in the same situation as Julia. Something has to go before I can add any. I also have seedlings taking up more and more room. Even my temporary bed is full. I keep seeing things I have to have, but I don't have anywhere to put them.
    Val

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I've only got two coming next spring, but only because they are coming from Earlybird, will be rust free when they arrive, and I didn't want to miss out on these two varieties. After having rust for the first time this year, I'm going to hold off and see if the winter is cold enough to kill off the rust on the few rusters that I am keeping over (the rest got pitched). That's the plan anyway. If it doesn't work out that way, then the rusters will be trashed next year and I'll stay pat for awhile until I get back to a rust free garden. So far our temperatures haven't gotten consistently cold enough for many of the daylilies to even go dormant yet. Still way too much green......Maryl

• bambi_too
    11 years ago

I only plan on adding a few and 2 of them are seedlings from a friend. I am getting to the point where I will have some key named cultivars for breeding with and a lot of seedlings. I think I bought 6 plants last year. Maybe things will change as more of the named cultivars leave here.

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

I've got about 20 more I want and I have 5 I planted from the Fall.

Fall:
    Venus Flytrap
    My CHihuahua Bites
    Wolverine
    Malcolm David Brooker
    Victorian Gardens Star Brite

Winter (so Far)

Ashwood Smokey Joe
    Born To Bite
    Hippopatomus
    Malaysian MArketplace
    Overdrive
    Purple Tarantula
    Stardust Dragon

TO BUY STILL:

Halloween Green
    Hats Off To Sue
    One Eyed Willie
    Shy Boy and Whispered Blessings from Song Sparrow
    King Cobra
    Sea Monster
    Heidi Hugs
    I'd like the TET version of Lavender Blue Baby and
    Indian Giver

And the beuatiful Red from Ashwood daylilies- been on their waiting list...it's TO DIE FOR. UGH!

I decided that since I spent so much money on seeds that I might as well own the plant. Sooo, I got rid of a ton and work overtime to buy the new ones. I'm soooo excited!!! There was a city-wide garage sale last year and I put about 50 by the curb for free, about 35 to my Mother in Law, and the best ones to my friend (about 12). I'm ready for some new blood!

Dani

• bluenosens
    11 years ago

Same here. I have so many seedlings that either have to shine or out they go. A number of older varities are being given to the local church sales or to family. I did order a few[less than 30..:)) but a group of the present gardens are going to the back garden lot]...Their fate and the seedlings are hanging in the balance, grow or out you go...I refuse to add more gardens. Too much even of daylilies, is too much, I guess.Early Seasons greetings to everyone.cheers, lloyd

• bluenosens
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention I did get a few Norris, Clarity of Vision[wanted this one for a long time], Sam Abel and Reckamp/Klehm's Ruffles Ah Go Go. I also got First Crush and Madi Gras Beads. But stuff is being moved out to make room for the new.....Oh and a friend and I bought Where's Waldo[Korth] cheers, lloyd

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

WEll, I fell off the wagon, or should I say I got on it!! Got back on the auction and so far I have coming this spring

Barcode
    Supermodel
    Star Monster
    Weaver's Web

then did an instant buy for Texas Painted Eyes!! Just couldn't help myself.

Still looking for a few more. Gonna squeeze them in.
    Cindy

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I've joined you on that wagon Cindy.;-) I've kept to my promise to stay off the LA BUT I bought a couple from Phil Korth that will come in the spring from him.

Earth And Stars
    Rocks Cry Out
    Gentle On My Mind
    Orange Overload

I've decided to move most of the seedlings down to the old vegetable garden which will be my spring project.

Julia

• cody_mi
    11 years ago

i haven't ordered a single cultivar this year. first time in 15 years that i don't have at least 50 coming. still working on moving out the ones i don't use for breeding, until that time, no more buying.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered a second daylily. It is one I REALLY, REALLY want for my hybridizing: Nancy Thomas(Benz 2010). I can't wait to cross it with Heir to the Throne. Start engraving the Stout Medal.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Have a place of honor all ready to display your medal Edward?-lol. That tickled me. I don't hybridize but encourage all of you to create something beautiful for MY garden (and having seen a few of yours Edward they certainly are that). Just make it colorfast/sunfast and rust resistant - easy peasy.....I said no more daylilies, but Robin with Earlybird wrote a reminder of her sale ending soon, and I ended up with 2 more for next spring. They say temperatures are dipping down to the low teens here for a few days, and according to rumor that should kill any rust I have (hopefully not the plants). But that's all. I swear it, well maybe not swear it, but promise it, well maybe not promise it, but will try it - it's awfully long over winter and to not look at daylily pictures is very hard. I'm so weak.......Maryl

• phaltyme21
    11 years ago

No buying DLs But I am the recipent of about 20 plants. I
    had some yard cleanup done. This man did a marvelous job on making a nicer looking yard with room for more DLs. My
    daughter did some work on her DLs and I received a bunch of
    beauties. I have a list of them but don't want to copy it
    right now.

I am thrilled to have these and I am eager to see them
    bloom. I have gotten too old to do much in the garden so
    I found a fine worker. I'll try to post pictures when they
    bloom.\\

Happy New Year

Kay

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got some Christmas daylily money so I added a couple more daylilies to my latest order. They are Ruckus and Warrior of Virtue. Those two have not yet been confirmed by the seller.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got some Christmas daylily money so I added a couple more daylilies to my latest order. They are Ruckus and Warrior of Virtue. Those two have not yet been confirmed by the seller.

• bluenosens
    11 years ago

Ruckus was stunning for me this year. I used its pollen all over the place. cheers, lloyd..PS I paid $100 for it a couple of years ago. I'm now convinced that it is best to wait several years as the price falls quickly on some of these.