Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Browse at your lesiure :)

Julia WV (6b)
9 years ago

With the holidays around the corner, I'm busy with making things but found a few minutes today to browse two sites which helps me get inspiration for next year.

First was Paul Owens Slightly Different Nursery pics. Wow, I'd need two full time gardeners but what a beautiful, colorful site. I'd love to visit his place during the summer.
http://www.slightlydifferentnursery.com/site/index.php?main_page=page&id=29&zenid=e060661887a65330eeb72c9f0671a260

Next was Charlottes GOTW (Garden Of The Week) which features different gardens. http://www.daylilydiary.com/Archive/

I may have to go back a couple of times to visit each of these sites again. So much to see :)
Edit: Could post both links so just did Paul's but you can copy and paste the URL for Charlottes site.

Julia

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Owen gardens

This post was edited by juliany on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 20:18

Comments (9)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I'm always going and looking at differernt sites and the daylilies.Thanks for posting these.I will be sure to go look at them soon.

jean

• granalene56
    9 years ago

I looked at Paul Owens nursery. They have a beautiful field of daylilies and flower beds. Absolutely so relaxing to look at how his daylilies are in perfect sections. I know they have a full time job with all of that. I have looked at Charlottes archives before. There is some pretty gardens there also. Thanks for sharing on a cold night!!

Arlene

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing. Paul Owens gardens are beautiful.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

WOW!!!!!! I just spent a hour looking at part of this Paul Owens web site. its really great.Real beauty.The whole time I was looking at it, I was thinking boy, how I wish I was young again and knew about daylilies.I would have beauties like this too, but, am now too old for this sort of thing and too many problems with the body.But, he certainly has a beautiful place, have to look at where its at,I didn't look to see where his place is at.I didn't even know what a daylily was until about 6 years ago, when a daughter gave me a few (Ditch lilies) she had that I thought wa so pretty, Sinc e then I learned the difference between good daylilies and the ditch lilies. Thank you Julia for posting this site. His sunflowers are another very pretty flower I like to grow too. Cant grow everything you want to grow here for the deer. and they love flowers or all kinds,and seem to have a favorite one, which is daylilies.

jean

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Julia! Owens gardens are glorious. It was great to see now with our super, %#*â¬ÃÂ¥ weather here! Do you have any Owens daylilies? They sure are gorgeous, sometimes pricey.

Sherry

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love browsing gardens on cold winter days to get some ideas on what I could do here but gotta remember, if you expand your garden, you have to maintain it.

Sherry: Yes, I have a couple left yet. I'd have to pull up the names from the PlantStep program but his plants always do well here.

I'm so glad I don't live near Buffalo area since they are getting hammered with snow. Lucky for us the storms are staying west of us here in NYS and we only need to get through this polar express that rolled through. By Monday we should be back in the 40's which is a relief.

Julia

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Julia, glad you arent near Buffalo! I am about 50 miles west of Chicago, no snow here but the winds REALLY howl here most of the time. Patio umbrellas are a challenge here in the summer. I know what you mean about the size of your gardens, i have to be very selective about what plants I add now. I dont want more maintenance either. Added alot of new daylilies last season after eliminating what I consider "problem" plants. Cant wait to see the results next season and for the next few years.

Stay warm! Sherry

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I love to look at Paul Owens' gardens. And I have a few of his plants which do really well here. Thanks for the link.

By the way, Bella, the white cat I posted several pictures of on Gardenweb, has now been fixed and is a house cat. She has settled in very well. Since she was a true feral originally, I am really pleased she has become so tame. Gus is still an outside cat, but he has his own house (heated) on the porch and seems very content.

kay

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Thank goodness I had some time to check out Paul Owen's link on his website--BIG Year 2014. What a fantastic tour of his property. I just kind of skimmed for right now but I hope to be able to go back and really look at everything in depth. I love his daylilies; unfortunately one of my favs, SUGAR HIGH is still out of my price range. That green throat is just amazing, and I hope some day to get this one. Hope everyone up north isn't buried in the terrible snow that hit the region. We have had some cold temps for here, but no snow or ice threat yet, thank goodness. I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to all the forum friends, and may it be your very best. Avedon