Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

Tell me (again) about your most powerhouse Reds

I actually was asked to buy a daylily for a gardener who I adore, but always teased me about wasting space on flowers rather than veggies, so I'm super excited and am trying to impress with a great red!!! (He casually mentioned that daylilies would be fine and I did a small dance) ;)

I was considering Al's Red Tower. (Davissons are aweome) but am afraid to spend most of the Christmas budget on one plant in case he doesn't love it.

Any ideas for a great red that just blooms and blooms and doesn't fade easily that's more in the$25 range?

Comments (19)

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

How about HEARTS OF FIRE? DONT KNOW THE PRICE OF IT, but, its really pretty and reblooms, dont fade,big blooms.I am sure you will get a lot of ideas for a gorgeous red.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I agreen with Jean, HEARTS OF FIRE is a gorgeous red. But so is CHICAGO APACHE and I would recommend that one as it is a very inexpensive one and one of those tried and true older ones. I just love mine. But I love HEARTS OF FIRE also. I bought CHICAGAO APACHE on the Lily Auction afew years ago and I am trying to remember the price but I really think it was under $10.00. I know it was under $15.00 but I really think under $10.00. So very reasonable in price.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Been extremely busy the past month or so and have not chimed in much but couldn't resist this one. My favorite red that I have is Doug's Red Mercedes. Very hardy, dormant variety with 6" blooms early to mid season; about 30".

Hope all is well with you and your family CTC. :)

Ginny

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I would second Hearts of Fire because I get a couple of re-blooms from it. Chicago Apache is another good one, and I also like Reason for Treason. Nice and reasonable ones all.
    kay

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OOh, thank you darlings!!! I am going to check up on those now!!!
    Missed you all, and hope to pop on more once Christmas, birthdays, and fearless babies racing towards apartment basement stairways have happily come and gone :)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I guess it would rebloom down south but HEARTS OF FIRE dies not rebloom here on Long Island. And I have had it since 2007.

• Ed
    12 years ago

All above are good reds. Also:
    'Forever Red'
    'All American Chief'
    'Ruby Spider'
    'Red Volunteer'
    and 'Just For Joanne', a new favorite,
    and well within your price range.
    Ed

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

I agree about FOREVER RED. I grow it here and it is red.

Julia

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im looking these up! Anyone have good experience with Red Suspenders or , Peru B Ruby?

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

I agree with both Hearts of Fire and Forever Red. A few more that I like are Acquire the Fire, Pinegarden Good Cheer, and Red Volunteer.
    Val

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I agree with Chicago Apache but I also like Aramis. Marg

{{gwi:847650}}

• floota
    12 years ago

Hi,
    RED SUSPENDERS is a long time favorite, and a perfect example of the pinched crispate form. It doesn't grow on the best "real estate" here but still is a great performer.

And you might consider a small flower - we don't always have to go with full flowered large blooms! John Kinnebrew Jr's LIL' RED WAGON is a small flower ( about 3.5") but this is a wonderful over all garden plant. It has high bud count and can easily have 8-10 blooms open on a given day.

My overall favorite red for years has been BETTY FORD.

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

I have tried a few reds over the years and Contantinople is my favourite by far.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

My best performing red last year was -

INSIDER TRADING
    {{gwi:668526}}

It's a beauty...reliable rebloom...22 buds...up to 5 way branching...inexpensive...rust resistant...a favorite in my garden.

Kathy

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Really nice to have more examples and thanks for the pics!!! I think I'm going to start running down the list and seeing if I can find a rust-free seller who has these :)

• random_harvest
    12 years ago

If your "he" likes big as well as red, I'd go with Ed's recommendations of RUBY SPIDER or ALL AMERICAN CHIEF, both beyond showy. I'd like to add two more to the already-excellent choices above: PASSION FOR RED and ROOTEN TOOTEN RED, both bright and sunfast in our brutal summers.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

BETTY FORD is a stunner. I grow it also and it is a really, really beautiful daylily. So is LIL' RED WAGON.

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

I've got to add SOUL ON FIRE. What a bloomer and good increaser in my garden.
    {{gwi:988764}}

Julia

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

wow, these are all just gorgeous reds.I also love the reds.

Jean

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County