Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardens1_gw

proliferations

gardens1
9 years ago

Hi! I've hardly been on any of the forums since spring, but was on today and noticed a few posts regarding proliferations, and thought I'd add my experiences. Brookwood Lee Causey produces several prolifs every year, and Santa's Little Helper, probably 80-90% of all scapes produce proliferations. All I do is break or cut the scape off about 1-2" below the base of the prolif, pull off the outermost leaf that hides the base of the prolif, and stick it in the ground so that the bottom of the proliferation is just in the soil. This seems to work well for me. I've had quite a few other varieties that produce proliferations for me, but these two are almost like clockwork, not just once in a while.

Comments (2)

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Up till now, my prolif-growing attempts have been one big fail, but this time, I'm pretty optimistic. Very nice roots on most of the ones in my windowsill, and most are going into soil this weekend. I plan to grow them over the winter in the sunroom. In past years, I've tended to overwater early on, so I'm going to be very careful this time with watering schedule and amount and with humidity levels.

I was given four prolifs on scapes, from two different cultivars that regularly produce prolifs. One of the four is from Dottie Warrell's SAINT ELMO'S FIRE. This one, according to my friend, is a sure-fire prolif producer.

I also have three prolifs from Margo Reed's AFTER AWHILE CROCODILE, so that one's another good one for producing prolifs. Two of the three have excellent roots. I think the third may have to be tossed.

And then there's mystery prolif #2. (Found mystery prolif #1 in a pile of scapes during garden cleanup.) Probably my own fault for losing a daylily label, although I do believe birds have been stealing them, too....curses! Figuring the name out from records will be time-consuming. Anyway, I was out cutting down daylily foliage and remaining scapes in a bed, and there was this enormous prolif growing straight out of the top of a green scape. It was literally sitting on top of the scape and, as I think about it, it was a rebloom scape that had produced no side branches, no blooms, just one monster-sized prolif. Now, mind you, when I cut it off the still-green scape, it was at the very end of November, in zone 6. The rest of the plant was brown by then. The prolif measured 8.5" from the highest part of the topmost leaf to where the crown would start, and from 11.25" from the widest part of the widest leaf to the widest part of widest leaf on the other side of the plant! I guess the big question is: How did I miss seeing that thing until now????

• gardens1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glasses?! Guess you missed the forest for the trees.