Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daredevil_gw

Fantasy Daylily Contest

daredevil
12 years ago

We are searching for the most creative people in the daylily world.

Do you dream about the perfect daylily? Do you do needlework, draw, paint, sculpt, bake incredible cakes, or play with photoshop? Would you like to display your creation for the world to see, and maybe even win a fantastic daylily in the process? If so, consider taking a digital photo and entering your creation in the Fantasy Daylily Contest.

Guidelines:

Deadline for submissions: January 15, 2012.

Any media that can be captured in a jpg (file extensions .jpg, .jpeg or .jpe).

Size your jpg to be no more than 800 pixels across the longest side and 250Kbytes or smaller.

One entry per person.

US and Canadian contestants only. We regret that, since the prizes are living plants and overseas shipment would be cost prohibitive, we must limit the contest. However, voters from outside North America will be encouraged.

Membership in the American Hemerocallis Society is not a requirement.

Email your submission as an attachment to:

lindalmichaels@yahoo.com

All submissions will be displayed on a website (name withheld to avoid sounding like advertising). Additionally, all submissions will be included in a PowerPoint presentation, with the creator's name included (your name in lights! Or at least Arial Rounded MT Bold in 30point type face) to be given at a future meeting of the Buffalo Area Daylily Society and later available to other interested clubs.

Voting will take place from January 16-31, 2012.

First place prize: John Peat's 2012 toothy intro, Vampire Diaries.

Second place prize: any plant from a specific website (name withheld to avoid sounding like advertising).

You don't have to be a hydridizer to make great daylilies!

John Peat and Linda Michaels

Comments (13)

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

Is the photo of your creation? Can the creation be a daylily seedling that is unregistered or does the item need to be an artistic creation using a medium of somekind?
    Thanks Mona

• daredevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mona, it has to be an image of a Fantasy Daylily, not a photo of a real daylily. It can, however, be a photo of a painting of a real daylily as that is an artisitic interpretation. It can be a manipulated (such as with PhotoShop) image of a real daylily to change the color, pattern form, etc. But this isn't a seedling contest. We don't want to compete with daylily organizations that run such contests using photos such as the Canadian Hemerocallis Society's Meritorius Seedling Award, the American Hemerocallis Society email robin's Rookie Hybridizer award and MyDaylilies.com's King Of The Hill Seedling contest.

Thanks for the interest,

Linda

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Linda on Garden Web? You're all over the place! LOL!

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Here's a direct link to the contest rules ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantasy Daylily Rules

• daredevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the direct link to the rules, Pam. We have 3 submissions already. And a hybridizer who is also an art teacher is going to make the contest a class project.

Right now, we're experiencing our first snowfall in Burt and every daylily is but a fantasy.

• daredevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and that it included at least one gift certificate for a daylily. I also hope the artier and craftier among us are busy working on their fantasy daylily that might win them the dark toothy 'Vampire Diaries' to add to their garden.

The first few Fantasy Daylily entries can now be viewed:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantasy Daylily Contest Site

• daredevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There's 15 entries on the Fantasy Daylily Contest website now! I hope they'll inspire some Garden Web members to try their hand at daylily art, or craft. The deadline for submission is January 15.

• daredevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Because it was such fun and winter needs more fun, we're running the contest again this year. The deadline for submissions is January 31st. I hope you'll check out the entries that have come in so far and consider entering one of your own creations.

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

Good to see you're getting more entries ...

• daredevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sad to see one isn't from you, Pam.

A member of a Buffalo garden club recently asked when I'd be introducing this daylily!

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

I'm not really crazy about some of these really strange looking fantasy daylilies but that one I would like too! Plain simple form but gorgeous pattern! Get working on it!
    Debbie

• daredevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're now taking votes in the Fantasy Daylily Contest through February 24.

• signet_gw(6b)
    11 years ago

Was this posted on the Daylily Canada Group? I am disappointed to have missed this ? I didnt see it advertised anywhere.

Signet