Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyz10_gw

NEW planting of reblooming daylillies

xyz10
9 years ago

Will I get any blooming the 1st year if I plant in spring ?

Can you recommend a few reliable rebloomers for New Jersey that are either yellow, pink and red ?

Thanks in advance !

Comments (11)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

("Will I get any blooming the 1st year if I plant in spring ?") Quite possibly, even probably.
    There are quite a few older varieties that are inexpensive such as the very petit "Penny's Worth" my best re-bloomer bar none. (Some would only like immense blooms) but I like all DL.
    Happy Returns
    Big Time Happy
    Stella D'Oro
    These are all yellow but there are so many more. Many new intros, some quite pricey.
    I am sure others will answer and continue this list. If not I will return later.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Some rebloomers I especially like:

ASHWOOD HEARTHSIDE (Norris 2002) "Deep red with yellow edge above green throat"

CORAL MAJORITY (Norris 2004) "Coral orange blend" Newer to me but still rebloomed in its first year here.

FIRST CRUSH (Norris 2008) "Rose cream with rose eye above green throat" I love this one.

REPEATED DISCOVERY (Norris 2012) "Pink self with a green to yellow throat" I received this one at the Columbus National, and I'm embarrassed to confess that my initial reaction was one of disappointment -- how many that look like that do I really need? But it's gorgeous, and a stellar performer that rebloomed right from its very first year. In fact, it's an instant rebloomer and has quickly become a favorite.

UNCHAIN MY HEART (Kendig 2003) "Pink with red eye and edge above yellow throat" Very reliable rebloomer; it's rebloomed every year since I got it in either 2006 or 2007. Nice, clean color, too.

Both Richard Norris, in Ohio, and Stu Kendig, in Pennsylvania, hybridize for rebloom, among other traits.

COMET TRAIL (Niswonger 2001) "Red self above orange throat"

GASPING FOR BREATH (Niswonger 2009) "Red with gold shark teeth above green surround[ed] by yellow throat"

ROCKET BLAST (Niswonger 2001) "Red with deeper eye above green throat"

This one's still expensive, and it's not one of the colors you listed, but it was among my top three favorites this year:

PASTOR Z (Polston 2011) "Purple with a ruffled gold toothy edge" Its rebloom scape had something like 30 buds on it this summer.

• xyz10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations !

2 newbie questions....What is the difference between a "# 1 root" and a "double fan" ?

Should I stay away from dark red colored flowers if the plant(s) will only get direct sunlight from 1pm-6pm ?

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I have no idea what a "# 1 root" is.

Here's the American Hemerocallis Society's definition of a "fan":

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/fan.html

There're are other definitions and lots of additional information on the AHS website that might interest you.

The definitions = http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/dictionary.html

An FAQ page = http://www.daylilies.org/AHSFAQsNew.html

And, in if you're interested, the society's home page =
    http://www.daylilies.org/

If you become interested enough, you might want to check out information on your region and on clubs in your area. Joining both the AHS and club(s) is inexpensive and leads to lots of fun with your new hobby. As an FYI, the definition of the daylily term "hobby" is "addiction"; an alternative definition is "compulsion." ;)))

Anyway, back to your questions, all sellers and hybridizers I'm aware of use the terms "single fan" or "SF", "double fan" or "DF", "triple fan" or "TF", and "clump." There may be other terms I'm not aware of, but those are the most common.

Typically, the very newest of daylilies, which is to say "introduced" in a current year, are offered as single fans. (Scarcity usually being the primary reason; also often, supply vs. high demand.) Rare daylilies, e.g., a very slow-growing daylily, or one that the seller simply does not have a lot of may also be offered as SFs.

Usually, daylilies that are not the current year's intros are sold as double fans. There are quite a few hybridizers who sell current year's intros as DFs.

If someone has a sufficient supply of a daylily, again, usually an older one, you might receive a TF or clump.

Sellers almost always will tell you upfront what you'll be receiving for your money. If they don't/forgot to include that info on their websites or wherever, never hesitate to ask.

There are far more excellent hybridizers and sellers out there than one could ever have the funds or room to buy from. It's certainly your decision as to where you want to shop, but if I might butt in a bit -- the fact that "# 1 root" is not widely used suggests to me that you might like to look at the AHS's FAQ page on where to obtain daylilies. One of the suggestions is to check out sellers in your own region. A benefit of doing that -- you have a reasonably high probability of getting plants already suited to your own growing conditions. There are plenty of other people to buy from other than the ones listed, and the source you may be considering could be among them, of course.

As to reds, since I'm in a region with less-intense sun, I can't answer about location. Here, I have some purples that must have part-shade in the afternoon else the color slick and run, but my reds seem pretty happy wherever I plant them.

• xyz10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynex,

Many thanks for the detailed replies ! The # 1 root I referred to earlier is a grading/size of bare root day lilies offered for sale by the online retailer where I purchased tulip bulbs earlier this year.

Per your suggestion, I took a peak at a couple online sellers that specialize in day lilies. What type of same year bloom can I expect with a "double fan" specimen planted in early Spring ?

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I'm probably not the best person to answer that question, as I now try to follow the advice to let just one bud develop and open just to make sure I've received the correct plant. Then, hard as it may sound, one is supposed to cut the scape off. The idea is to allow a new plant to focus on getting established, rather than on channeling its energy on the very-energy-intensive labor of actually producing flowers.

But generally, a spring-planted daylily will probably bloom for you. This assumes a mature fan, not something undersized.

You probably should not expect new plants to look as good as they might -- bud count will probably be lower, perhaps branching, too (anyone? am I correct about that?). I've seen blooms on new plants that are smaller than their registered dimensions and/or with colors that aren't great. Also, problems with form. For example, I remember the FFO (first flower open) on WHEN BEARS FLY (Gossard 2003). This is registered as an unusual form (UF) and brown. Here's the American Hemerocallis Society's database image of it, which the hybridizer submitted:

http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=147538&name=When Bears Fly

Assuming you like that look -- and I do -- well, that's a very nice flower. My plant's FFO was an odd dark color, small, and so deformed that most of the petals either could not be seen at all because they were twisted behind the main plane of the bloom or could be only partly seen. Which is to say, a real dog. To be fair, not only was it an FFO, but it was in a pot. But if you were to compare this summer's blooms to that FFO, you'd never guess it was the same daylily.

Not all daylilies will disappoint like that of course. Some look great right from the start. And for me, in zone 6, some southern daylilies never look as good as they do that very first season after they've left their southern homes.

Sorry for the lengthy ramble, but the point is, even if your new daylilies bloom in their first year, and they probably will, don't be disappointed if they, well, disappoint you. Many need a year (or more!) before they strut their stuff. I've had some, especially from some hybridizers, that don't do much for two or even three years. I don't fault the hybridizer or the plant -- it's just the way things can be in zone 6.

Example: DAY OF MAGIC (Polston 2006)

http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=155283&name=Day of Magic

DAY OF MAGIC is registered as "pink with gold edge above green throat." I don't have very many pinks, so I'd been looking forward to its blooms. Serious disappointment with its off, muddy, in-between, kind of washy rosy vaguely mauve-ish color for its first two years. Probably my least favorite daylily color. Come to think of it, a color I don't want to see anywhere. Really wanted to toss it in the compost pile, frankly, or give it away. But this year, wow, it was a beautiful pink that I had to look at every day.

The exception to all of the above would be field-grown daylilies dug for you, ideally including soil, and then promptly replanted in your garden. They should happily continue performing without skipping a beat.

Oh, and finally, back to your question about reds. I misread and thought you were in zone 10. Sorry! Plus, I thought about it, and I do have a couple of reds that should be moved out of hot afternoon sun. One of them I already mentioned: GASPING FOR BREATH. This one does get hot afternoon sun and is also too close to both a stone patio and stone and stucco house walls. It wants a cooler, shadier afternoon, that's for sure.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Another one that rebloomed for me this year is REINDEER ANTLERS (Hensley 2008), a late, reblooming "Ruffled bright red with blue cast above yellow to green throat."

It was, in fact, both the latest-flowering daylily here this year and the latest-blooming daylily I've ever seen in zone 6. I once saw a tall, yellow no-ID with a1960s look blooming outside an office in late October and was really impressed. This year, thanks to the warm extended fall I'm sure, REINDEER ANTLERS was blooming on its rebloom scape well into November. When we finally got blasted by cold, there were still two buds left on the scape.

No image in the database. Registered as tall, 28 buds, 5 branches. Here's the hybridizer's image:

http://www.featuredbuttons.com/hensleygallery/reindeerantlers.jpg

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Someone may have said this already. Be careful ordering from a place that grades daylilies they will be tissue cultured and most likely under sized. I don't know your zone but up where I live not many tissue cultured daylilies do well. Do you have any gardens close to where you live. Going Bananas is one of the few tissue cultured daylilies that has performed. It's a nice yellow that blooms from mid season till frost. There are a few others. Ask if you wish to know.

There is a web site called Charlotte's Daylily Diary (just google it). On the first page you will find many daylily gardens that do mail order. If you click on hybridizers corner it has most of the current hybridizers web sites. Most have things in all price ranges. Many of their older introductions are reasonable. Should you find something. Come back and ask how they would do where you live. Lots of help here.

You'll be much happier in the long run with daylilies that come from division rather than tissue culture. Good luck and happy gardening.

A picture to keep your spirits up.

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

That is a lovely shot! Love seeing all those colorful blooms even if it is a picture.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Thank you bluegrassmom, we have a long winter ahead. These dark dismal days are getting hard to take. Where has the sun gone? Even when in the house sunshine lifts the spirit.

• xyz10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks for the replies !

I will have to read up more on what to do next.

Happy Holidays !