Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilypatch

Larry Grace intros up

lilypatch
15 years ago

The long wait is over. Larry and the Mrs. have updated their web-site and posted 2009 Spring Introductions.

http://www.gracelandgardens.com/Intros.htm

Comments (17)

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

This was announced on the AHS e-mail robin yesterday so I went and looked right away. Maybe its just me but after the long wait and the very big buildup about the absolutely fabulous top of the heap daylilies that I heard he bred, I was very dissapointed with what I see.

There nothing wrong with them. But theres nothing about them to get me to remember them either. Everything looks like something else I have seen too many times before.

• bluenosens
    15 years ago

Check out Larry's toothy seedling..it looks absolutely lethal!..Now that's awesome, cheers, lloyd

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I want seedling 08-410. The rest are pretty, but as with all new intros too pricey for my wallet.

• lilypatch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Me too, and 07-353 as a bonus.

• dobie1029
    15 years ago

I completely agree......the intros are very pretty but not knocking my socks off. However, seedling 07-353.....SOCKS ARE OFF! That one is amazing and I would love to have it in my garden asap.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Ok, since we are just buying pictures, throw in the strangely marked 07-092 for me. That does look somewhat radical to my tired eyes. Why do they post seedlings anyway? Do they want feedback? Will they sell them later on?

• rarejem
    15 years ago

I will jump on the bandwagon and say the the intros were very pretty, but nothing extremely out of the ordinary compared to the beauties that have come out in the last couple of years.

I will also jump on the bandwagon about the seedlings! I would have been much more impressed to see that list on the intro page!

Julie

• lilypatch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

While I'm not as knocked down by Larrys new ones as I hoped to be, he did save me some money as I've been saving for the new Larry Grace introductions ever since I heard he'd be "back in the game".

I'll bet that based on Larrys past introductions, these new ones are outstanding parents while not breathtaking in appearance. Anyone care to guess how many introductions are out of the beautiful but unassuming J.T.DAVIS?

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I know it must be important if you hyrbridize but I don't buy for parentage. I want great garden flowers and looking for something unique, different or outstanding. These flowers look nice bit too much like what I have already bought. The seedlings now, thats a different story.

I am thinking that hybridizers post seedlings because they want to generate buzz and excitement about whats coming in the future.

• ninamora
    15 years ago

I agree that those seedlings are definitely something to write home about. WOW factor is amazing on several of them.
    We'll just have to wait, but it will be worth it.
    Nina

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

Well,I tried to find it to look at them,but all I found was Elvis graceland.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Here is the clickable link

Here is a link that might be useful: Larry Grace

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

As stated in other threads, the colors ...... have been "treated". True daylily colors look so much better in bright light. I think the seedling pictures have been over-worked on PhotoShop or some such program.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

Thank you Rita,I got to go look, too. I love that ANGELS GATHER AROUND,and that one seedling 08-115 I love that purple.I love to look at all of them,even if I can't buy any.

Jean

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Jean,

I agree with you on Angels Gather Around. It looks alot like JT Davis but it is taller with a much higher budcount. all of the seedlings are nice but I think 07-353
    is quite a break.

Edward

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

Edward, I agree with you that 07-353 is a gorgeous seedling, tooLove the reds also.Its different then most Reds. I also like 08-160, too.

Jean

• cindylgrace
    10 years ago

I just need to clarify a posting that "beachlilly" posted in 08, one pet peeve my husband has is to see "any and all" daylily pictures hyped up or used with photo-shop to enhance the colors true form. It doesn't take a genius to distinguish the difference...look at the buds, the leaves, it is very clear. He spends countless hours taking pictures to reassure it is the correct color. And as the other statements I can and do agree with the fact Larry does hybridize for perfection of color, plant habit, and the offspring, we have had this conversation many times but he knows what the genetics can do in every single plant he introduces. Beachlilly it obvious you have never bought from us, and have no clue to the compassion Larry has to put out the best for the daylily world, so if you would please be more cautious of your speculations about his pictures, I would be very grateful, because you are so WRONG! Have a great day everyone :-)