Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegrassmom

What was your favorite daylilies for 2014?

Bluegrassmom
9 years ago

Hi, I am missing all the pretty blooms during the winter months and would love to see your favorites in color.

It is hard for me to choose but I will post a couple, plz join in.

Teresa in KY

Hold Your Horses is always a favorite of mine!

Comments (57)

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous! I especially like Hold your Horses.

Clown Parade is always a favorite of mine, blooms so heavily for such a long time
    {{gwi:662497}}

Another great performer is Delia O'Bryan Brown
    {{gwi:664396}}

Destined to See, an oldie but I love the colors

Pandora's Treasure
    {{gwi:2124965}}

World Premier

These were my favorites as I went through my photos today, could be different every time I look through them. I love all my daylily children :)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

I havent been one to photograph the individual plants in my garden. Love all of the beauties posted!. I have added a ton of daylilies the past year and cant wait till spring to photgraph and post. I do have a few pictures of old noids I like. Here are two,

Sherry

This post was edited by sherrygirl on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 17:59

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Another old noid, maybe Magic Dawn

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, such beautiful daylilies blooms. I can see why Hold Your Horses is your favorite, bluegrassmom. Nancy, Clown Parade is so pretty and so is your bouquet of World Premier.

Sherrygirl, your Magic Dawn is very nice too. It has a nice shade of purple.

This post was edited by kousa on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 21:26

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Nancy, loved your blooms!!! After seeing them i just placed an order for Destined To See. I am going to run out of room soon, Still have too many Stellas and Happy Returns. Looks like I'm loosing some more of them!

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

My favorite this year is Wonder of It All. It bloomed early and ended late with reblooms. Can't ask for a better daylily than that!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Another favorite is the Beautiful Edgings daylily. She looked great in every pic.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

One more favorite that I added this year was Creature of the Night. Really happy I got that one.

• M Bonus
    9 years ago

I really like Clown Parade, it seems so happy! :) I also do love destined to see, god save the queen.

Little Showman

• lemonthyme5
    9 years ago

I'm in good company--ordered Destined to See and Wonder of it all last summer!

• del_s
    9 years ago

Arctic Lace did extremely well for us last summer. Bloomed early and well, even on cooler mornings.

• del_s
    9 years ago

Arctic Lace did extremely well for us last summer. Bloomed early and well, even on cooler mornings.

{{gwi:2125445}}

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

What beautiful pics everyone!!! Happy to know 'Destined to See' is still getting attention. It has always been a real favorite of mine.
    'Paprika Flame' is a new one for me that I really like. I have a pic but it is not the greatest.
    'Marmalade' is one that I put in last year. I find it quite interesting.

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for posting! Destined to See is a classic, I have been wanting to add Wonder of it All. That picture helps move it up the list!

I rarely see a daylily that I don't like. I love Clown Parade. Bicolors are interesting. I should have more.

Creature of the Night has done excellent here, I wish I had a clump shot of mine but I dont.

I know my Wish List will be growing this winter lol.

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caught Red Handed in a clump shot. It is a Rice cultivar. I love seeing their place in full bloom!

ngraham, have you been?

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love how delicate Dragonfly Dreams looks.

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Free Wheelin doing its thing!

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any one growing Mahieu's? This is his Guinea's on Parade.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Well. I am having some problems here, so can not post a picure tonight. but.WONDER OF IT ALL is my very favorite daylily, but,I am like nancy. I love all the daylilies.I do like CHINA BRIDE, TOO.

JEAN

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I haven't been to any of the big daylily growers' garden, I keep intending to take a trip & see some. I know there are several in northern KY. I imagine they are just beautiful, but would probably be really hard on my pocketbook. Still, maybe I'll get there this year.
    Sherry, I don't think you can do wrong with Destined to See. It may be an older one, but I think it is just as beautiful as any of the newer ones. Maybe not as high a bud count as some they produce now, but great big blooms that goes on for a long time. Lots of beautiful daylilies here! I received Wonder of it all this fall, I'm looking forward to blooms next year, everyone seems to love that one.

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A trip to Daylily World is a must for anyone that loves daylilies!! I have been there at least 3 times since they moved to KY. Also the Rices is fun to see in bloom.

I am not a big yellow fan but Wonder of it All has been on my everchanging Wish list.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Teresa, I looked up Webster's Pink Wonder on the AHS site and it said "3 branches, 5 buds". Obviously a typo. It really looks great! I am putting it on my wish list. Maybe Thomas Tew, too.
    Brad

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

There were a number of excellent bloomers this year, but these are the 3 that really caught my attention: Belle Isle Sentry, Carman Renee, and Swirling Waters..
    Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Brad, love your favorites. I am a sucker for those colors too! It seems I am always drawn to the pinks and purples. Alot of my new additions last season are in these colors.

Sherry

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

I haven't done any individual plant shots. So I'll just say I love them all.

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brad, my favorites are purples! I have tried to branch over to all more colors but my eye tends to go to the purple.

Just like in the photo above. What is that big purple UF beauty???

Wow, that is a nice garden shot!

• User
    9 years ago

Everyone's are so beautiful...I especially like the seeing a picture of them in the garden setting. Can't wait for June. Here are a few of my favorites.

Absolute Treasure
    {{gwi:2124409}}

Indy Fling
    {{gwi:2125466}}

Eggplant Electricity
    {{gwi:2125467}}

Longstocking
    {{gwi:2125468}}

Big Smile
    {{gwi:2125469}}

Sacred Heart
    {{gwi:2125470}}

Blue Eyed Butterfly
    {{gwi:2125471}}

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Teresa,
    The large UF is Carman Renee. It is an awesome bloomer. First year I had it, it bloomed great. Last year, 2nd year, it had expanded greatly and was incredible!
    Bloombuddy, I really like Absolute Treasure [though they all are nice]. and Patty, that is a great group shot! What is that large purple one in front?
    Brad

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Bluegrass music was one favorite.
    I have so many favorites, every day during bloom season my favorite changes.
    Cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Another favorite, this one had a high bud count with a long bloom time. Special Candy.

Cindy

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, Special Candy is gorgeous! I also love Dragon Dreams, Longstocking, Swirling Water, and the gorgeous purple clump in pattyw5 garden shot.

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Lava Flow is a favorite because it blooms early!
    Cindy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Bluegrassmom, love your Dragonfly Dreams!
    Cindy, love your Special Candy!
    Patty, another gorgeous garden shot!
    Keep them coming, hope everyone participates in the alphabet posts!
    It is great to see all of these pictures again. The forum was too quiet for awhile.

Sherry

9 years ago

Double post sorry

{{gwi:2125456}}

This post was edited by pattyw5 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 22:45

9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'm really loving these daylily pictures. Need to start taking some pics of individual daylilies. The purple Is Grape Starburst and has done quite well up here. Foliage has been a problem thou. Prone to leaf streak.

If you like this one may I recommend Hakuna from Northern Exposure Gardens. I've had it for 5 years. Healthy foliage and an astounding bud count. With adequate water bud count is between 40 and 50 buds. It's a beautiful purple with a blue eye and green throat. His photo is what you see in your garden except the purple is richer.

Here one of my favorites Mister Butters.

This post was edited by pattyw5 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 22:57

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am enjoying all this color!! I hate gray days and we have been having our share of them.

I just added Lava Flow in Sept, so I am looking forward to that one.

Blue eyed Butterfly will always be in my garden, it is a keeper! Great shot too.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I will try to chose a few favorites, but you know how I am about posting...

Spiderman is a very long blooming one, and it is red which I love:

{{gwi:2125472}}

I adore Citrix:

{{gwi:2125473}}

Aslan was a new one for me, and I really like it:

{{gwi:2124413}}

Shelby was another new one I was real happy with

Indigo Edge:

{{gwi:2125474}}

I waited several years to get Cat Ballou, so you know I love it...this is not the best shot, but here it is :

{{gwi:2125475}}

Rose F Kennedy Such a beautiful bloom:

{{gwi:2125476}}

Bud Bennett's Salty Skipper

{{gwi:2125477}}

And I will just stop since I could upload at least 50 more...to start. I didn't do Clown Parade since Nancy had done it, but it is fun to be on here again

kay

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Kay,
    Very nice. I especially like Rose F. Kennedy and Aslan.
    Teresa, I've been to Rice's Thoroughbred Daylilies. It's not very far from me, about 45 minutes. Very nice.
    Brad

This post was edited by readdream on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 9:03

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Oh my, Rose F Kennedy has been on my wishlist for awhile. Your photo just makes it imperative that I acquire it this year. What a beauty!

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. We did, now time to regroup and prepare for Spring. I don't want to think about Jan and Feb coming first lol.

Is anyone planning on attending the Region 10 tours for 2015?

My DH ask what I wanted for Christmas and I said to go on the tour. Christmas morning he had a IOU 1 daylily trip
    in a card. So I am very excited. I have never been before. We stay at the Preston in Nashville and then tour maybe 4 gardens. More info should be posted soon on the AHS site.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I really like the color combination of yellow with maroon markings, so Hold Your Horses and Free Wheelin grab my attention. The ribbing on Absolute Treasure is a feature that I'd like to see in more daylilies. That's a nice one. Big Smile reminds me of another favorite of mine Beautiful Edgings. Great posts for both of those beauties. And Lava Flow is another attention getter. Love a good orange daylily.......Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

It's hard to pick my favorites. We like so many of them. My favorite miniature would have to be Broadway Starfish. I looked everywhere before I found it. It did very well for us--just planted this year. It even rebloomed. However, I have heard that it is tender. If it survives the winter but is badly hurt, we'll dig it up and put it in a pot. We have a small greenhouse where we overwinter some tender varieties.

Nancy

9 years ago

Heavenly Tiger Tails is a favorite here. It was a bonus plant and we really lucked out on it. It is tall, with big flowers, and many of them. It's an early bloomer too. It won't set seed, but it will have a place in our garden for a long time.

9 years ago

I picked Jewel of Jewels as my favorite newcomer. It is southern bred so it may be tender, but what a daylily it was this year. The flowers are large with a huge saturated eye. It rebloomed and set seed for us. What more could you ask!

9 years ago

My favorite toothy daylily would be Mary Lena. It sets seeds but there aren't very many seeds per pod. The flowers look like a brighter colored Baracuda Bay, which is one of its parents. It is taller in our garden than either of its parents.

• Billi
    9 years ago

Empire Returns is one of my favourites this season. I don't have a large range yet so I'm sure next year will be different. I love the ridges on the petals and it is such a big flower!

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That one really has big ridges. I don't have any of those yet.

Jewel of Jewels looks lovely! I haven't heard of the little Starfish you posted but it is nice too!

Love seeing these photos in the dead of winter!

Anyone growing Northwind Dancer? It is one I am thinking of
    adding this Spring.

Jumping Jack Flash was a favorite UF this yr. I am using the AHS pic.

• Bluegrassmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

God Save the Queen is a great daylily!

• Billi
    9 years ago

Pancho Villa has been a great performer. It flowers every second day and I've had twin flowers twice :) it doesn't really hold colour very well though, so by the end of the day it's pretty faded.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz