Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_ar

I AM BACK, well, close to it I hope.

jean_ar
11 years ago

Hello, all my forum friends.I am back home now.Not able yet to do a lot of typing,the hand and wrist is still very painful most of the time.My daughter called me and read all of your posts to me, and I have read them too, since returning home.I Thank you for all of your prayers and well wishes,as I am sure it helped me to recover.The Dr took the Brace off my hand and arm,and I asked why is it so painful,if its healed,and he said because of my age for one,takes longer,and also, the way I fell and brokemy wrist,it JAMMED the bones together.he didnt do no surgery on it,and it looks a little deformed,and he says the bones being jammed together cause it,and it will get better in time.Told me to go ahead and start using it again.I cant use it much yet as its just too painful, but,will slowly get there.The daughter where I was staying for 7 weeks took very good care of me,and told me to stay out of the yard now,and I said "Just no way for me to do that, but will stay in while its so cold outside"It did get to 40 today,BRRRRRR.still cold to me.

KAY: Any suggestions?

Jean

Comments (23)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Welcome back Jean. You were missed. I think rest is a good choice for that wrist of yours now as it will get plenty of a workout in about 3 months time. It must be such a blessing to have a family that cares about you so much. Take care now. As an old Okie grandpa once told me after talking about all the aches and pains of gardening, "git a cup of hot tea in yer innards, and take a nap". Sounds pretty good to me in this cold weather...Maryl

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aww,Thank You MARYL.I sure missed this forum and all my friends here.The cup of Hot tea sounds good, but,I could never lay down and take a nap.Heck,I even have trouble sleeping at night.I usually go several nights of only 2 or 3 hours sleep, then after that,I sleep pretty good for a couple nights, then it starts over again.

Jean

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I happened to check out the forum this morning & saw your post. So glad to see you back Jean! I'm glad you are home & doing better. I'm sure you will just continue to improve now you are home. I rarely have trouble sleeping, a good thing. I can't function without my sleep :)
    Take care of yourself, & stay warm. We've been getting rain here, which we needed, we are still in drought conditions. I hate the rain with the cold weather though, feels colder than the temps say it is.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Really happy that you are back!!!I hope you recover now, and are able to get out in your garden when the spring comes around. Your daughter is a very special person to take such good care of you.
    Cindy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

So glad to hear from you, Jean. It seems to me that your doctor should have sent you for a course of physical therapy. (Which Medicare would pay most of the cost) Whatever you do, do not allow the wrist to become immobile. Try wet heat on it (even just soaking it it fairly warm water) then go through simple range of motion exercises...simple means turning the wrist in all normal directions even if you have to use the other hand. Get your daughter to get you a one pound weight and when you have gotten to where you can move the wrist more freely, use the weight when you are going through the moves and that will help you regain strength.

The heat should make it easier to move the wrist, and may help with pain, but cold (no more than 15 minutes at a time) might help more with the pain. Biofreeze is an over the counter topical (you put it on your skin) pain reliever that might help a bit too. Be careful with pain pills and aspirin and the like since they can tear up your stomach. Be sure to take with food or plenty of a good drink, like milk.

This is going to be no fun, but do persevere, since you need to be able to use that wrist in the yard. The pain will get better, but it won't be fast. Good luck to you, and let us know how you are doing.
    kay

By the way...if you kept the brace, it might be good to sleep in it at night...if not, get one at Walmart. You will probably sleep better if the wrist is immobilized, but use it ONLY AT NIGHT. Use the wrist as much as you can otherwise to keep it from "freezing" (being unable to move it) and being of no use to you.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aw.Thank you Nancy.Glad you are able to sleep bertter,and sure wish I could sleep better.I do sleep a little better in the spring and summer,after staying outside most of the day.Hate being in the house.I have always been a outdoor person.

Thanks Cindy;Am very glad to be back at home.(now the daughter can rest a little.Not much.as she owns a convience store and grill,and works 8 to 12 hrs a day in there.She seems to always have extra chores to do.

KAY: Thank you for your advice for me.Had my hands in fairly hot water yesterday, cleaning out my fridge of food that had been in it for 7 + weeks and washing up the dishes,and I always wash them in HOT water.I am moving my wrist around pretty good today,its painful, but,I grit my teeth and carry on.There is just no way I am going to let my wrist stop me for long.I already knew how to do therapy with it, from when I fell and broke my left wrist 2 years ago.The weights sound like a good idea I had not thought of.I DO have the brace that was on my arm, but,its in my daughters car.I will have the other daughter stop by there and get it for me and bring it monday when she comes.I do have some pain pills I can take if it gets too bad.I save them for night time, but, always take them with milk as I do any meds I take.Right now,I have a elastic type wrap around my wrist that the hospital had put on itI find it helps a lot with the pain, also.The "Looking deformed" really bothers me.Makes me afraid it could break again by using it, but, hopefully will be ok.
    Thank you Kay,I will be doing everything you said,as I have work to do this spring and need 2 good wrists. :)

Jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Welcome back Jean. Glad to see you posting again and are almost fully recovered. Take it easy and enjoy the short break.

Julia

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You, Julia.I COULD injoy the break if it wasn't so painful doing it, but, time will heal.Do you have snow?I see on the news that a lot of snow has fallen in the north east.can you take pictures of it for us all?

Jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Jean: Yes, lots of snow this year. We got snow on Christmas Eve (about 2 inches), snowstorm on Wednesday (10 inches)and just had another all day event on Saturday (5+ inches). Wouldn't have been so bad but the winds picked up again and we had some very high drifts to push back again. Yesterday we spent most of the morning digging out, AGAIN, only to have lake effect snow in the late afternoon. All the garden beds are snug under the snow so it will be interesting to see the difference in bloom season in 2013. Temps will go to single digits over night this week.

I'll try for pics today if we don't get more lake effect snow.

Julia

• FlowerGardener
    11 years ago

Jean thought this might be helpful, when I had a impaction fracture of the elbow the physical theraphist told me to use different sizes of canned soup or veggies for weights. Progressing from light weight to heavier weights. One of the exercises she had me do was to touch each finger to my thumb to help keep motion. That elbow is not quite as straight as the other but works well rarely does it bother me. Good luck with your complete recovery! Betty

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Jean, so glad you are back and able to post on the forum. You were certainly missed, and I hope your recovery goes well and as quickly as can be expected. It looks like you have lots of good advice from Forum friends to help you along. We had a good rain Christmas day and then it turned to snow, maybe a quarter inch when done. I guess that qualifies as a white Christmas. I have just finished taking down all Christmas decorations and the tree, the house always looks so different when everything is gone. but now, we are all looking forward to spring and the start of the new daylily season. So far, have 14 new DLS on order, and I may have to get more, the addiction thing kicking in---LOL. Best wishes always, Avedon

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks JUlia.I dont want to live in snow country again, but,I so love to see pictures of the snow covered trees and roads.Its always so pretty.

BETTY;Thank you for the tip. I had already been doing the finger exercise,and lifting cans of veggies while I had the brace on,too.I had so much problems with Pain in thie wrist last night, till I just rested the arm, wrist,and hand today wwith no exercise in it.

AVADON:Hey. Yes,I have received some very good advice and appreciate every bit of it, too.It seems like this broken wrist has been alot more painful then the other one I broke 2 years agoI been wearing a support band around this wrist all day, today,has helped some with the pain.
    What do you have coming in new DL"s? it has rained all day, here today, a slow steady sprinkle.And cold, too.Sure be glad when winter s over and can start looking for daylilies growing.

Jean

• blue23rose
    11 years ago

Sorry that your recovery has been so painful and trying, Jean. Still have many weeks before spring planting time so I hope you are fully recovered by then.

Vickie

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Vickie.I am hoping I will be able to do everything I want to do this spring..I prune the roses in mid febuary, so only 6 weeks till thrn.Hopefully my wrist will be fine by then.

Jean

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Hi Jean! I'm so glad you are back & just in time for the New Year. You were missed here. Sorry that you are still having pain but each day should get a little easier and the worst is behind you. We have plenty of snow here and it is very cold. I'm glad all my daylilies have their 'snow blankets' because it will be in the single numbers at night for the next few days. I was blessed with the arrival of my second grandbaby, Jackson, who was born 2 days ago, December 30th. He was a BIG boy, at 9 lbs. 9 oz.
    It feels great to have you back on the forum with us!

Celeste

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Jean-glad to see you back! I do agree that physical therapy would be helpful. It even helped my daughter when she was just a teen and broke her ankle. After first getting the cast off, it was still painful until after therapy. Just make sure you aren't pushing it too hard, to soon!

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Celeste; Good to hear from you and you have a new grandson.I sure do hop the worse is behind me with this wrist.I was cooking a pot of peas this afternoon and forgot and picked the pot up with my right hand,and the pain was horrible.I just almost dropped that pot of peas on the floor, but, managed to grab it with the other hand and just spilled a little of them.Will you be taking any pictures of your snow? The ones you posted last time was gorgeous.Congrats on the new grandson.

Lisa. Thank you,That might be why I been in so much pain with my wrist, pushing it too hard, maybe.I am right handed and always do everyhting right handed,and have very little strength in the left hand

jean

• houstmag
    11 years ago

So glad your back with us but sorry that your still in pain. I'm sure that it will get better in time after all we can't wait to see all those beautiful daylilies of yours in the spring.
    Linda

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Linda.I cant wait to see the daylilies either,and hope this wrist pain is just a bad dream by then.:)

Jean

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Hi Jean,
    Great to see you back. I also agree that physical therapy can be a big help. It sure helped me when I had back problems. Right now is a good time to be inside recovering, but spring will be here before we know it and you know you'll want to be outside working with your daylilies.
    Val

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tank you VAL: Yes,I will want to be outside working with the daylilies and other flowers when spring gets here.I haven't been out of the house now in quite a while,and about to go "stir Crazy"Hate haveing to stay inside, but its just too cold outside for me.

Jean

• katlynn719
    11 years ago

Hi Jean, I understand how you feel about going stir-crazy. I am the same way. I do not like cold weather and tend to stay inside as much as possible until it warms up. On dreary, chilly days...I like to sit with a cup of hot coffee and go back to read all the old posts from last summer that I didn't have time to appreciate. The photos on this forum really cheer me up. Good luck with your recovery and I hope you have a happy, healthy New Year!
    Kathy

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

awww, Thank you Kathy.I been looking at the daylily journal alot and the new catalogs thats out.I also saved several of Rita's oosts with pictures of her blooms last spring,and I saved a couple of Kay's (organic kitten) and celestial rose posts too, with all the beautiful blooms,and I go back several times a week, looking at them.I really miss not having daylily blooms to look at, as I am sure every one else does, too...

Jean

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler