Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Oscie Whatley anyone?

I've seen a few pictures of his hybrids and they look pretty nice to me. Anyone grow any of his? Has he passed on?.....Maryl

Comments (8)

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Yes, he died several years ago.

Unless the voles currently rampaging through my garden have done them in, I grow BUTTER CREAM, PARABOLA, BEAR CLAWS (a generous gift from a very generous person), FRENCH LICK, RAM, which you've undoubtedly heard of; there might be a few more - those are from memory.

If you're interested in more information, you should go to Michael Bouman's web site. He's a real font of knowledge about Oscie:

http://www.daylilylay.com/library/index.htm

Mary Ann Pruden grows Whatley plants as well. She's also got some Whatley-Pruden daylilies. (Take a look at her home page as well as list of plants for sale.)

http://www.lilyhouseonline.com/categories/2012%20LILY%20HOUSE%20INTRODUCTIONS/

The Shooters should also be a great source for acquiring Whatley plants.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Hey, Maryl, go to the Hybridizer's Corner. Oscie Whatley is still listed there, and there are a number of his hybrids on view, plus the info to go to Marietta Gardens who sells some of the Whatleys. Avedon

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information. After the fact I see that someone (Rita?) had asked about him also last summer. I'd seen a couple of his daylilies on Marietta's site last year and thought they were awefully pretty which in turn lead me in search of more information on him to his 2004 site. I'm going to check out Lynxe's suggestions shortly. In the meantime I decided to go ahead and order "At Sunset" since the pictures I'd seen around looked so good. Hope this is one of his better ones. Ram looks interesting too although it has a somewhat spotty record on rust on the Rust Survey Results. Not bad, just not rust free, so I may wait on that one for now..Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: 2004 Whatley catalog

• bluenosens
    11 years ago

hi, I grow a number of his plants, Border Sentry being the first one. Khorassan and Greek Effect I also like. French Lick, Guapa, Frost Avenue, Mexican Art, Kimmswick, Self Propelled, Spring Fring, Yuma, Canard, Crumple, Green Gage,Ram, Jumble Edge and Beverly's Baby. I think that is all I have. I do know that Butter Cream and Bear Claws do well for growers here in Nova Scotia and are stunning. Try looking up Hillside Gardens..//dave.mussar.com. a site in Ontario....he has a wonderful collection of Whatley, Culvers and Reckamp/Klehms among others...great pics....I'm sure you'll find any of the ones I mentioned at reasonalbe prices in the States..Butter Cream and Bear Claws still can be harder to find though, cheers, good hunting and Happy New Year. lloyd

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

His Bear Claws is one of my absolute favorites...I posted pictures many times. It is a reliaqble rebloomer for me too.

kay

• bambi_too
    11 years ago

I have quite a few and they like Northern Ohio. I have not seen any I didn't like. I'll be buying more.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Maryl, one of Whatley's I really like the looks of--and it is yellow, which is a color I know you like---is Solar Music. I just looked at it on the Lily House website, and it sells for $20.00. I know Edward in Nova Scotia has this one, because his was the first picture of Solar Music I saw. Because I remember this, I know I must have liked SM very much. Avedon

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know I'm a sucker for yellows and oranges. I have the Lily House website marked to look up Solar Music. I'll have to do a search here to try and find Edwards picture. As always Jann-Thanks ...KAY: What a beautiful picture of Bear Claws. So happy you shared it with me. I love the edge on it in particular.......Maryl

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals