Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdjcb

Thanks for help with order

gdjcb
11 years ago

Hello,

I made my order for spring from Blue Ridge and I would like to thank all of you who gave me advice.

Continental Holiday
Hillbilly Heart
Lee Pickles
Footloose Fancy
Moonstruck Madness
Exotic Treasure
Bold Heritage
You and Eye
Paradise City
Spacecoast Gator Eye
Bertie

My wife saw Oceans Eleven while I was looking through some old pictures here and decided she had to have it, so I ordered it along with George Jets On and It's My Party from Lily House. She really like the bi-tones as well.

Thanks again,
Gale

Comments (10)

• floota
    11 years ago

You don't mention what zone you're in. If you're lower than zone 7, I'd suggest you put Lee Pickles in a protected area. It needed extra help here to survive,and I eventually sent it south.

Good luck!

• gdjcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Floota,

I looked at daves garden and all things plants, and both sites said Lee Pickles was good to Zone 4a. I am a zone 5/6, and thought I would be safe for Lee Pickles. I guess I will plant, mulch next winter and hope for the best. How often are those sites off for zones, and is there a better source to look zones up?

Thanks,
    Gale

• floota
    11 years ago

I really can't speak for the information on either of those sites, and was only commenting on the performance of the plant in my garden on the edge of zone 6/7. It survived but didn't thrive, and I've grown daylilies long enough that there is little patience for wimps here. Why tolerate a plant that might have 5-6 blooms a year when there are so many plants that perform wonderfully?

• gdjcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

floota,

I'm new and hopefully will see my first blooms from the 35 I planted this year next summer, and I agree, if any get just a few blooms they will be replaced. This brings up a question, how long on average does one wait on performance of a daylily? From what I have read on here the first year can often not be representative of later years.

Thanks,
    Gale

• bambi_too
    11 years ago

The zonal thing is pretty odd. I gave up on it because I have a friend in Michigan with even worse weather than we have here in Ohio and she can grow a lot of things I can't. I have also heard that some people up in parts of Canada can grow almost any Daylilys because they have snow cover for so long. My problem here is the freeze/thaw cycles that go on over the course of our winter.

I generally try to buy new plants from people in areas like mine or locally.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Hi, Gale,

I usually give them 3 years to determine if they will do well here. Since I am in zone 8, many do well, even northern hybridizers, but I have my failures too.
    kay

• gdjcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bambi,
    Snow cover improving survivability of Daylilies makes a lot of sense. I live in a semi-desert and most years do not have much snow, at least for long periods of time. We also will have multiple freeze/thaw cycles in a given year. It would seem to me, that with the high cost that Hybridizers want people to pay for newer fans, they would make obtaining accurate zonal info a priority. Luckily, I found this site and a tremendous amount of collective knowledge. In hindsight, I should have posted my final list on here before placing the order.

Organic,
    Thank you for the info, 3 years is what I give other perennials, so that makes sense to me. Starting to sound like a few failures come with the territory.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Lee Pickles not good here either.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

HMMM-while slow in multiplying, I haven't had any trouble with the blooms on Lee Pickles. Hillbilly Heart did NOT like to be moved so I let it struggle on it's own finally and it straightened out. Soil conditions can influence the plants as well though. My Dad lives a couple miles down the road, He has plants that thrive in his yard and struggle in mine and vice versa. He has mostly sand, I have light to moderate clay. My Aunt lives in the same zone, but 2 hrs. away and the same thing applies-things that fail to thrive in her yard sometimes come our way and are fine. Another fellow gardener that waters his plants with pond/river overflow water has larger blooms and deeper colors and his plants just take off rapidly.

• gdjcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional info, I always appreciate it.

Gale