Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gkoerper

Hybridizers

gkoerper
11 years ago

I like to know the names and hometown/state of the hybridizers i collect. I used to be able to click on the hybridizers name on tinkers and find the info, but now that it is paralyzed i can't. Can anyone tell me where these folks are from and their first names. I'll give the name (and initials) and the daylily i have.

L. Anderson (key lime pie)
T.J. Bennett(small wonder)
Burtner (artistic gold)
Parry (annie welch with e.a. Claar)
Clement (boog's woogie)
Grull (nigrette)
J. Harrison (raspberry rose)
M. Hart (spider spiel)
Iverson (yellow silk ruffles)
Kennell (kennel's folly)
Lovett (bite the bullet)
Westervelt (quilt patch with t. Maxwell)
Mueller (dr. Regel)
N. pierce (orange sherbet)
B. roberts (cutie betty)
Shaver(spider bisque)
Sheppard and faggard (peacock curls)
O. Taylor (charlie edward yates)
Trommer (double sometimes)
M. Wilson (lucia mae)
S. lake (hellen's gold)

Help!!!!!!!

Comments (18)

• floota
    11 years ago

Most of these are really older cultivars and the hybridizer has been deceased for a while. The only way to find their names is to go to one of the old paper checklists produced by AHS. For example, O. Taylor is probably Ophelia Taylor, who actually registered daylilies as Mrs. Bright Taylor as women usually did back in the 1950's. I believe that she was from Florida. Sally Lake was from Reg. 14, Alabama.

One who is current is Bret Clement, who is AHS's legal Counsel. Bret lives in Reg. 2, Indiana.

I think that Betty Roberts (Ned Roberts wife) actually registered cutie Betty. I do know that she grows it in her garden in Co. Springs, as she showed it to me this summer when I visited and stayed with her.
    Peacock Curls was a seedling from Sheppard ( can't remember first name) and was registered by Bo Faggard. Both are from TX.
    Hope this helps a little!

• lynxe
    11 years ago

BITE THE BULLET, given its registration year, is probably by Jackie Lovett. I don't think the Lovetts are hybridizing any longer, but please don't quote me on that - I could be very mistaken! I bought one of their intros from them several years ago, and, at the time, they were in South Carolina.

Most of the others, like floota said, are older. One other technique for finding out about the hybridizers, worth a try at least, is to google on their and their daylilies' names. You might come up with something.

The only hybridizer with the last name of Lake and first initial S. that I've heard of is Sally Lake. I know that Region 14 has a Sally Lake seedling bed, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Somewhere in the attic, packed away unfortunately, I have a nearly complete set of AHS daylily journals. If (when!) I get around to finding them, I'd be happy to go through them for ads by and articles by or about the older hybridizers. I'm sure that, at one time or another, they'd have been mentioned.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

oops, I missed floota's comments on Sally Lake.

Trommer could be Charles Trommer. About whom I know nothing. But a search on his name gave me this:

http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1977-37-4-today-s-daylilies.pdf

Charles Trommer apparently lived in Rehoboth, MA. What's interesting about that is his address, given in the document. When I did an online search for your daylily, DOUBLE SOMETIMES, it showed up as being in the Tranquil Lake catelog. If you look up Tranquil Lake Nursery, you'll find the same street address as Charles Trommer had. I don't know who the Tranquil Lake owners are, and they're apparently redoing their website so not much info's available. So I used the Wayback Machine to find an old "about us" page. The current (?) owners began Tranquil Lake in 1986; maybe they bought it from Charles Trommer?

Isn't online searching fun? ;) I'm stopping now because I could do this all day!

• gkoerper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have researched quit a bit online. It is easy to find information about newer plants, because those hybridizers are still around, but these are the few older ones that I can't nail down an identification for exactly. The newer ones we know, but these older ones are part of the history of the daylily and somebody needs to remember them.
    About S. Lake: I am from Alabama so of course I know that Sally lake hybridized daylilies from Mobile starting in the 50's or 60's, but these by S. Lake are new daylilies. Iknow tinkers enough to know that "lake" is different that entries for "S. Lake". I know that tinkers makes mistakes, but these are distinctly two different people (i believe). Let me know what you know. There isn't any such thing as too much information for me. I like to hear what everyone knows about these folks. They dedicated their time in the earlier history of hybridizing and I like to know about them.

I have always wondered what happened to C. Pierce. Lots of information about him, but never anything directly about him personally.
    Thanks for the information.

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

I believe the zone, region and address info should be available on the AHS website when you look up daylilies. I have always thought it would be useful to know the region a daylily is hybridized in. We can't all keep up with where hybridizers live and some move part way through their careers. If a hybridizer wants to trial his cultivars in a different place he can advertise that when he introduces them. Gkoerper's search shows exactly why it would be nice to have all that info tied to the registration.

• floota
    11 years ago

Making such information public would infringe upon individual rights and would have to be collected from people on a volunteer basis. Quite honestly, I cannot see the average backyard hybridizer wanting his or her address made public if they register a daylily, and cannot imagine this happening.

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Region information would be pretty neat though. Then you could look up registrations by region if you were so inclined, and it's not highly personal information.

Nate

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Region doesn't narrow things down too much up here but it would still be a help. I can't think anyone would have a problem with the city or town they live in being public information.
    It is such a help when purchasing plants for your climate to know where something was hybridized. For example it helps me to know that there are roses that were hybridized in Western Canada. I know if they survive out there they should survive in my 5a garden that is exposed to the harsh winter winds out here in the rural areas of SW Ontario. They are all I buy now.
    I just can't see why Hybridizers wouldn't want that info attached to their plants unless they have something to lose?

• gkoerper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Help! This isn't helping. Just want to know the state and maybe a name, not addresses and personal info.

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

I seem to remember a Sam Lake as hybridizing some daylilies, maybe living in Georgia or Florida.

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Sorry to have hijacked your thread but if this info was released with the registration info you wouldn't be having this problem.

N. Pierce is I believe Nan Pierce. I don't know who she is or where she was from but maybe someone does.

I found this when I was recently trying to find some info on Charlie Pierce as well. It took some good detective work to find some info on him. I have included the link.

I too like to know about hybridizers and where they live as I enjoy learning about gardening and horticulture in general in different places. Half the fun of collecting daylilies to me is getting them from different geographical places and seeing how they do here. I know this isn't the same as getting them from the hybridizer. I try to do that as well for hybridizers in my region. If I had any registrations I would want people to know what region I was in. Go Region 4!!

Everybody has a different reason for their addiction and gets a different enjoyment from it. Mine is intellectual as well and the more info the better. I can really relate gkoerper to this quest for knowledge.

Any more info out there on these cultivars?

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlie Pierce info

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Hi Sorry-that link is more about Tom Wilson. I will have to look further for the info I found on Charlie Pierce.

• gkoerper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate th info. I just like the history of what i grow but don't want to impose on anyone. I have grown daylilies from many hybridizers and regions. Thus far i don't see much pattern here in alabama among dormants, sev or ev. They all do equally well. Some of best daylilies are northern daylilies that here don't act much like their northern registry info. Like double daffy, it grows better than some well know southern hybrids and reblooms and rarely is not double. I can't control this daylily and must give it away regullarly. I have had bad rust in the past and some "rust resistants" have rust in my yard and some"rust susceptible" daylilies are barely or not at all afffected. I have a problem with the so-called now it alls when they report their experiences as facts. Everyone has their own experiences and they are all important together. One of my favorites finds is a daylily or offering of daylilies by a somewhat unkown hybridizer that outperform well know daylilies. The well known hybridizers do make some awesome plants though, don't they. (I like kropf, nash, c. Pierce, e. cooper, e. watts, s. sikes, w. hendricks ). I just love tennessee flycatcher while it is blooming, but the vegetation suffers some just after it blooms. Continental holiday makes lots of double babies. Set my soul afire. Two part harmony and all fired up are great parent plants. ( for me)

Sorry, now i am falling of topic, but i rarely post here. I just like reading the responses and seeing the blooms.

• vino
    11 years ago

Have you tried the AHS hybridizers data base...just google a name of a daylily and look for AHS data...pull it up and it will give data on that daylily

• Hostarina
    11 years ago

Just google the name you are looking for with the word daylily.
    I did a couple for you:
    Boogie Woogie's hybridizer Clement http://www.clementgarden.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Bo Faggard hybridizer/

• daredevil
    11 years ago

From the paper checklists:

Lyn Anderson, Timmonsville SC
    Thomas J. Bennett, Laytonsville MD
    Roy H. Burtner, Washington DC

Elmer A Claar (breeder), Northfield IL
    Mrs Arthur W Parry (selector and grower), Parry Nurseries, Signal Mountain, TN

Grull -- J. J. Grullemans, President Wayside Gardens, Mentor, OH
    Mrs. J. J. Harrison, Houston TX
    M. Blair Hart, Fayetteville AR
    Ron Iverson, Long Grove IL
    Everett H Kennell, Rochester NY
    Samuel S. Lake, Lady Lake, FL

Dan Lovett (Jackie has introed more, but Dan registered Bite The Bullet) Camden SC

T. B. Maxwell (breeder), Maxwell's Nursery, Olla LA
    Mrs. B. H. (Gertrude C. ) Westervelt (selector and grower) Corpus Christi TX

Willy Mueller, Hortus Nucerensis, Naples Italy
    Mrs. George W. (Nettie T.) Pierce, Minden LA
    Robert W. Shaver, Gallipolis OH

Marcelle Sheppard, Vidor TX and
    Albert C. Faggard, Beaumont TX

O. Richard Taylor, Indianapolis IN
    Mrs. Henry E. (Myrtha) Wilson, Raleigh NC

The info already provided about Bret Clement, Charles Trommer and Betty Roberts is correct.

Hey, it's winter. I have some time. :-)

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

LOL Linda ... guess you did have time!

• gkoerper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks daredevil. This is awesome info. I sure like the new tetraploids and spiders and i love to cross them and see what i can produce, but i also collect older and rare daylies as well and alabama hybridizers. Like swontgirl said, we all have our own ways to get enjoyment from our hobby. I have plenty of room and want them all. Ha ha impossible i know.

By the way i am looking for daylilies from cangemi, mayo, howton, perry/campbell, or any other lesser known alabama hybridizer.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting