Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taralynna_gw

An non-hedge looking hedge in a tight spot ?

taralynna
15 years ago

I'm zone 9. I have a long pond (22') that is almost right up against a block wall (which supports a chain link fence). I would like to screen out the wall/chain link fence as well as part of my neighbor's roof. The height is about 7'. The area I have to plant in is just less than a food wide. The block wall is not very steady and the pond is made from liner and I would want to make sure the plant root would not try to come up through the liner.

I considered a vine, but I cant reach a large section of the fence and grooming the vine would be difficult. I know that clematis likes to bunch up at the top of the fence, that is undesirable. I would like it to be dense and evergreen.

I am also considering podocarpus. I'm not sure about its roots.

I like the hydrangea vine but it sounds like it would get to carried away and become a maintenance issue after a few years.

I intend on having the area be a Japanese garden, but I am open to any kind of screen that would work in this area.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (2)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

A foot wide planting area poses a multitude of problems. What ever vine you chose , that is the only thing you can plant in such a narrow area, will need tip pruning every year in order to maintain fullness. Rather than a living screen, how about a oriental looking fence with hanging pots attached in a staggered and asymmetrically arrangements.

• tomforlife
    15 years ago

I agree with the above as far as planting anything. Look for some decorative panels you can make yourself and attach such as bamboo, wattle made from willow twigs, or water repellent outdoor fabric, etc.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz