Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Maple Issue

Posted by ukbradc KY (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 9:36

I just purchased a home that has a smaller back yard (about 70ft by 60 ft) that has a huge water maple (70ft high or so) growing in the middle of it. The tree shades almost the entire back yard and the ground underneath it receives very little to no sunlight (MAYBE 2 hours per day in some places, none in others). Is there anything I can plant that will cover the ground, look decent, and be able to withstand foot traffic of myself and my large dog? I know very little about gardening, I am a newbie, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Maple Issue

The nice thing is that, in KY, you have shade.

Beyond that, it depends on what you want. If you want some simple and little-or-no-maintenance groundcover in lieu of lawn, that's probably not going to happen.

There are plants that could make nice areas of garden, if you are interested in that. Let us know. If you just want something that looks neater, and helps with spring mud, you might want to mulch the area with a wood mulch.

Let us know what kind of thing you are looking for.

o
RE: Water Maple Issue

To cut thru the clutter and give you the straight truth, nothing is going to grow. Just like under a low deck, the grass stops and nothing grows there. Is the yard fenced in? If so, make a little walk way (stepping stones, or something informal since it's your back yard) going to the back gate. Just off the base of the tree, place a bench. In front of that you could put a little bird bath. Use a fine mulch around the tree/bench/bird bath area--one the will thatch together and stay put so your dog doesn't track it in. Then use 3-5" river stone around the rest to minimize mud and stagnate water. (Place week cloth under the river stone to keep the dirt out of the rocks). What do you think of this idea?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here