Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suezeeq_gw

Morning shade, hot afternoon sun...small space,help!

suezeeq
20 years ago

We are developing the small space behind our mobile home for patio, garden. The east wall is a 8 foot metal fence which we have covered with white plastic lattice. An 18" wide raised planting bed runs the length of our lot next to the fence. Then there is a 5' wide, brick-on-sand patio which leads to our back door. So my planting area is that shaded-in-the-morning, hot-afternoon-sun-for-a-few-hours, 18" wide strip along the fence. The lattice just begs for flowering vines...but remember, I only get a few hours of mid-day sun and I don't want a jungle. I guess I'm asking for some suggestions for delicate flowering vines that can take south Texas temps. I AM planning a drip irrigation line. I hope somebody can help...?

Comments (7)

• ianna
    20 years ago

try bougainvilla

• jakkom
    20 years ago

Bougainvillea is not a delicate vine, at least not in a frost-free zone. It has thorns so vicious that in South America it is used as barbed wire. To prune a mature specimen you need a serious chainsaw.

I'd suggest you go to a good local nursery with a photo of your space and ask for suggestions. Usually the salespeople at good nurseries really know their stuff and love to help folks out.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

There's a Texas gardening forum here at Gardenweb, check it out and I'm sure somebody can help you!

• Zoomersmom
    20 years ago

I have a space just like that. So far the best performers have been:

Black Eyed Susan Vine

Lambs Ears

Bright Lights Cosmos

Snapdragons

Pansies in the winter

• wanda
    20 years ago

Clematis! Not vigorous and there are many colors and types to choose from. You might want to ask for recommendations at the Clematis forum.

wanda

• Patricia
    20 years ago

I am getting ready to plant an area like this also. However mine doesn't get sun until around 2 p.m. and then starts getting shade again by 6:30 p.m. any idea's for me.

Patricia

• agertz
    14 years ago

I am in SW WA and have a similar problem. We're on a hill and have woods around us, except the SW exposure of the house. It gets 3-4 hours of hot afternoon sun. We have white stone siding and the whole area gets exceedingly warm. Many things I've tried there wilt in the pm, and/or just don't do well.

The best perennial I've found is something that was tagged "Texas Sage" and it's one of those greggii sages. Loves it there. One cultivar, Hot Lips, is really happy - I bought a whole mess of them.

Another plant that does well, surprisingly, is fleabane. It's low growing habit probably keeps it cool.

And of course, there's always Walker's Low Nepeta.

I know these aren't climbing, but they might help someone. I myself am heading out first thing tomorrow for some clematis and some of Zoomermom's suggestions.