Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara43206

ground cover with foot traffic

barbara43206
20 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for a suitable groundcover for around a small tree in the middle of the hell strip in front of my house. It will be in full sun and will have to tolerate moderate foot traffic. Since it will be trapped between the street and the sidewalk, spreading/invasiveness would actually be fine. Scent would be a plus. Ajuga is what immediately comes to mind, but others must have other ideas. Creeping thyme? Something else? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ianna
    20 years ago

I'm trying a combination of thymes, creeping thyme, mother of thyme, lemon thyme and wooly thyme in between patio stones.

If that doesn't suit you, there's Blue star creeper, brass buttons, creeping jenny, creeping speedwell, and for even lighter foot traffic -- there's alpine lady's mantle, carpet bugleweed, irish or scottish moss, snow in summer.

Ianna

• mole_tx
    20 years ago

I have a hill in my backyard where unfortunately the only decent sun for a veggie patch is. I found mowing to be a pain. If you don't mind dealing with a mint, pennyroyal has been my groundcover of choice along the veggie bed. It hasn't required mowing yet (planted last spring) AND I don't get eaten alive by mosquitos when I'm sitting in it messing with the garden =)

I used Mentha Pulegium (European pennroyal) because it is a perennial and stays lower to the ground than the American pennyroyal. Also, the European tolerates partial shade and moist soil (a plus in my situation). I've found it to be relatively easy to keep in line as far as mints go. My herb book shows it to be hardy to zone 5.

• ianna
    20 years ago

I just thought of something that will work in the shade.. periwinkle

• barbara43206
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I've already planted creeping juniper in one of the other sections of hell strip. It's looking like a good decision, but I'd like to try something else in the other section. Any other ideas for what'd work particularly well in full sun and dry soil? I don't mind watering, but want to plant something that'll be reasonably happy with the rather harsh environment. Thanks again!

• ScottReil_GD
    20 years ago

Foot traffic is a toughy. Certain mosses seem to thrive under foot traffic(Bryum argenteum springs to mind; my old garden sensei used to call it sidewalk moss, as you often see it there) Set some pavers in sand and keep it reasonably wet and you'll have mosses in a year or so. If moss seems to slow (or not showy enough) there are several programs out that peddle the right plant for your situation; I offer one below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeepers Creepers

• sunburygirl
    20 years ago

You might consider English or Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)(Anthemis nobilis). It's hardy in our area, vigorous and can take some foot traffic. In fact it is sometimes used in lawns in lieu of grass. It has a lacy look, gets little daisy like flowers and has a very fresh green smell when crushed and like most herbs, likes sun and heat. Once it gets established it doesn't seem to require too much water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamomile

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    20 years ago

The very low creeping thymes can take moderate foot traffic. High Country Gardens sell several for thyme lawns that would work. Since you are planting what you termed a hell strip, you need something that really tolerates hot and dry, and the thymes are it.

• beanmarie
    16 years ago

Vinca is an invasive, as is English Ivy (hedera) both of which are used extensively as ground covers. An invasive plant can quickly overwhelm and displace existing native plants by reducing the availability of light, water, nutrients and space. They have few, if any,natural controls to keep them in check. Ecologists now rank invasions by exotic plants, animals, and pathogens second only to habitat loss as a major threat to local biodiversity. For more info go to the link below and click on "Plants for a Livable Delaware', a booklet by the U of DE Plant and Soil Science Dept. Information applies to the specific plant, even if it grows in places other than DE.
    Judy, DE Master Gardener

Here is a link that might be useful: Home & Landscape Horticulture- De Coop Ext.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years