Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Fence Problems

Posted by Kit.578 California (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 22:21

Hello,
We are going to plant some grapes and an orchard on our property, but the deer will eat anything within their reach. We have put up a six foot fence all around the yard, but we have a through driveway, and we don't want to put an electric gate at each end. I have bought some wireless deer fence posts, basically just a pole with a scent tube at the end and a shocker. The deer are supposed to sniff the end and get shocked and never come back. It didn't work. We have to plant the grapes in the coming month, so we need a quick solution. Any ideas? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Fence Problems

Not sure what kind of deer you have in CA, but I have had luck in Michigan with white tail deer with Liquid Fence. Unfortunately in Michigan, a six foot fence will do nothing to deter white tails, since they can hop a six foot fence like a five year old child can hop over a crack in the sidewalk!

I have recently relocated to CO where Mule Deer and Elk are rampant. As soon as the planting season arrives, I will find out if Liquid Fence will work with them or not!

o

Hi!
Have you tried those electronic repellents? They are usefull and easy to use.
Hope that helps!

Pat.-

Here is a link that might be useful: electronic deer repellent

o

Did the electric repellents work for you? I already tried the wireless deer fence, but it didn't work. I am going to get the Liquid fence, but it sounds smelly. If these repellents work, I would much rather use them because they are (according to the website) odorless.

o

Can you lay woven wire or chicken wire across your drive? They will not walk on it and it shouldn't bother to drive on it. You will need 12 ft. or so wide or they will jump it.

o

8' is what's suggested here in MD too. There is a grate that you can put in the ground that 'supposedly' they won't walk over.

The wireless zappers didn't work here either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Grate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here