Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deterring deer by placing wire fencing on the ground

Posted by dak56 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 1:23

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/lamb39.html

Has anyone had success using this method? It's an interesting idea, just lay three-foot-high, 12 gauge, non-climb fencing that has 2" x 4" holes on the ground surrounding the plants you want to protect, once an animal puts a foot on the wire, it backs up.

It sounds too simple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deterring deer by placing wire fencing on the ground

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 16:20

This method has been used with cloven hoof animals for hundred years.
Your problem is if some smart deer try jumping over & out of the uneven footing.

o

I tried this idea to keep dogs, deer, rabbits & foxes away from plants & shrubs, but the dogs, foxes & rabbits were dancing right thru in just a couple days, so I took it out. It may have worked for the deer, but once the snow came the wires would have been covered anyways.
However, I've had success w/ a similar idea using wood lattice laid flat to deter squirrels from burying walnuts at the base of delicate or juglone sensitive plants. A couple of my dogs can smell recently buried items & become obsessed with digging them up, leaving a much bigger hole than the squirrel originally made. I'm not even covering the whole ground area - just scattering scrap pieces - and so far it seems to work.

o

works great for me for the deer. They will not walk on it! I use any old fencing I can find, lay it down early in the Spring and they donot walk on it. Seems to be the only way to keep deer at bay escept for an electric fence. It doesn't bother other small critters. Rabbits don't like red pepper. Hope this helps some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here