Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankentrina

Philodendrons with ferns in shade?

frankentrina
20 years ago

I have 2 Philodendrons in pots right now that I took this summer from a friend's new house where they had been neglected for who knows how long. All I got was the..er...root-bulb thing with a tiny leaf bud sprouting from the side and a few pathetic roots. They both grew 2-3 leaves before winter came, and look like elephant ears.

Can I plant these in the bed where I plan to put some ferns and caladiums? It gets full shade all day, except on the far left side where it gets morning sun, and right side where it gets evening sun. I had my ferns planted in what I thought was a shady enough spot last year, but they still got too much sun. I'm not sure what the light and soil requirements are for philodendrons outdoors, since all I've found is info on growing them indoors in pots. Also, can I put elephant ears in that bed?

I live in central texas, zone 8B, we have black hard clay soil, but I plan on adding some mulch and compost to the bed. Its between the house and a walkway, so it dosen't drain very well, which was why I thought it would be a good place for the ferns, and maybe elephant ears, since the rest of my beds tend to dry out too fast in the summers for them.

Comment (1)