Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milorganite?

Posted by Brenda_near_Eno z7a Orange Cty (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 05 at 6:17

I bought some of this granular fertilizer to use and wondered if anyone has experience with it? I hear it is made from processed sewerage and may have anti-deer properties? It smells a little industrial (not manure-y), but looks like fertilizer pellets (although my teenager refuses to spread it for me).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milorganite?

I used milorganite last year for deer protection, it does help, but needs to be re-applied after rain,or about 3-4 intervals. I applied it with a nursery flower pot, (filled and shake over /around plants to protect) its relative in-expensive Farm/fleet is cheapest (or a farm supply store) greenhouse=EXPENSIVE it also adds enough fertilizer that your plants are happy too !!
Suzy

o

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked. The deer have moved their browse path right away from my yard - haven't seen them in weeks. And it fertilizes great and can't burn.

o

I personally can't stand the smell. It's pretty obvious where this stuff originates. Yuck!

o

There is information available on the Internet with regard to the use of municipal sewage sludge. Do a search. Type in Illness + Milorganite .

http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1995Q3/sludge.html

Terran

Here is a link that might be useful: Let Them Eat Sludge

o

Rudy, I'm mystified about you sniffer - to me it smells somewhat industrial, but not at all like sewerage. I read article and it looks like I'm good to go, since I'm not applying it to food crops. In fact, I'm happy to be doing my part to remediate some of this stuff that otherwise would go to yet more landfill. And the deer just hate it!

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 15:07

I handled Milorganite at work (feeding shrubs and plants in a big nursery) with no problem. It has a vague sewerage smell, but nothing overpowering. I believe it is "baked" to sterilize its contents. It does have to conform to strict regulations since it involves...er... nightsoil.

o

It is an excellent source of nitrogen so don't use it with fertilizer. I used it to try to ward off the deer with limited success this past year. Seems like it encouraged alot of weed growth.

o

I'm trying this for the first time. We'll see how it works!

o

I'm still using it instead of fertilizer. It works, but it does wash away in a couple of rainfalls. Again, chemical smell only when I first shake it on everything. My deer will go to the neighbor's yard, and my newly unfurled hostas are not yet nibbled to the ground. Repurpose, re-use!

o

Wonder if it will deter squirrels and chipmunks?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here