Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Forsythia Deer-resistant?

Posted by Alla_PA z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 05 at 10:26

There is a wooded strip of land along a stream between our backyard and another street. We grow a vegetable garden behind the fence and would like to make that area a bit prettier to look at. For now, there are only weedy shrubs growing next our vegetable garden, so we want to clear the area and plant more appealing shrubs, like forsythias, red-twig dogwood, and butterfly bush. Are those deer-resistant? We have a few deer wandering around from time to time, but not a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Forsythia Deer-resistant?

I have a bad deer problem northeast of you in NY, across the border but near Wayne and Pike Counties, and have been combatting them for years with some success, replanting beds with deer-resistant plants and protecting those which are not. In the winter, I fence in all shrubs. With snow cover, they eat anything and everything. Here are my experiences with the plants you mention.

Forsythia. I took mine out, not because of deer, but for other reasons. Did they nibble on it in winter? Yes, and since it blooms on old growth, at least try easily removed netting. No nibbling in summers though.
Buddleia (butterfly bush). Yes, I had a few nibbles one summer on just one of them, but generally deer pass them by. In winter I don't worry about it, since they get cut way back in spring and bloom on new growth.
Cornus alba (red-twig dogwood). My understanding is that deer do not bother this much. In winter they might, but that shouldn't matter, since the plantsfor best winter colorneed to be cut back to nearly ground level in the spring.

Good questions. I would like to hear how the dogwood does for you.

o

I've had some luck with
leucothe
illicium
kalmia
mahonia
redtwig dogwood
spireia
calycanthus
buddleia
cotoneaster
edgeworthia
but if hungry enough they will eat it all.

o

look at: http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/default.asp

this study was done in our area, central new jersey, but deer could be more or less desperate where you are. i generally stick to the "rarely severely damaged" (translation: they never touch it) to "seldom severely damaged" (translation: they will nibble at it occasionally but not badly).

we have forsythia everywhere in our neighborhood and we have lots of deer (one every day in my yard). the forsythia seem to bloom just fine. so do the buddleias. i've never seen my local mother and 3 bambis eating either in summer.

as for red-twigged dogwood, i've heard the same as you, brumeta, but never planted one nor noticed any in our area... p.s., other flowering shrub considerations are magnolia, bottlebrush buckeye, rose of sharon, weigelas, and lilacs

o

We need a privacy hedge or shrub about 8 feet long. Live near wind/water/deer.

Any suggestions?'

Near a patio.

Just lost all of our trees in snowstorms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here