Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfanatic4

groundhogs and rabbits

daylilyfanatic4
15 years ago

I posted this in the vegtable fourm and was directed here.

I also realize that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. I've read through as many of the threads as I can but still haven't found what I'm looking for.

ok so My problem is that my vegetable garden won't be able to have a fence around it. I am going to have a 4-ft tall fishing line fence which will keep the deer out however the ground hogs and rabbits will still be able to get in. Trapping or harming them is not an option and live trapping and relocating is actually illegal as well as not feasible.

I have a motion/heat activated devise that sends out a high pinched ultrasonic sound and I'm planning on setting up a reflective pinwheel if I can figure out how to set it up. I will also attach strips of plastic shopping bags to my trellises in effort to scare the critters away. I hope these devises will scare away the groundhogs and the rabbits but I would feel much better if I had some smell/taste repellents as well so they would stick to eating the clover and dandelions and not my vegetables and coneflowers.

I've heard that mint will repel ground hogs so I'm going to be growing a couple plants in containers and I'll put them around the edge of my garden. I'm also going to make a mint spry and apply it to all my plants as well as the perimeter of the garden.

I've also heard that blood meal will scare them so Thats also on the list to spread around the edge of my garden.

The last thing I'm planning to try is planting annual red poppies around my garden since groundhogs don't like them?

I'm prying that this will be enough but I think it would be prudent to ask for any other suggestions

Do these really work?

does hot pepper really have no effect other then to drive me nuts when I aplly it?

please is there any invisble barrier out there I can use to keep my vegtables for me and my family.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES