Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something else is in my garden...?

Posted by bumblebeecabin 7a/7b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 12:38

Okay, I know I have voles, moles... the ocassional armadillo, oppossum, raccoon... bunny rabbits, too.

But I just planted some mondo grass and it was eaten down to the root ... could it be a deer? My neighbor says some have been moving through... but I thought my dogs had been keeping them at a decent radius away from my garden.

I have been waging war with the voles... tried lots of things but only thing slowing them down has been a physical rocky barrier.

The mondo grass did not have any neighboring mole/vole holes nearby... which usually would have led me to believe that it was my favorite underground herbivore. Could a vole snack on my mondo grass DOWN TO the root rather than from the root up?

What eats mondo grass? It reminds me of when I planted some carnations last spring... half were gone after one night... (down to the root again) then the other half was gone the following night.... leaving the root ball. Usually the voles eat the root ball, leaving my plant to suddenly flop over and bring me running, albeit too late.

Could something else be digging and eating my plants in the yard? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something else is in my garden...?

If it's deer, i am sure you would see tracks and or droppings....any sign other sign left around the mondo area?

o
RE: Something else is in my garden...?

No... I haven't seen deer tracks/droppings either. The area around the mondo is covered with moss, so if it was a deer I think its hooves might have made an impression. Do rabbits eat mondo grass?

I have seen signs of armadillo activity recently, plus I startled a bunny when planting some flowers the other day. Would they snack on a freshly planted (I have other mounds that have never been touched for years) mound of mondo that was even sprinkled with some kind of granule to ward off critters. It had bloodmeal, garlic, maybe castor oil... can't remember everything at the moment.

Maybe it was a dog that thought I seasoned a salad for him.

At least the roots are left. That is more than I can say for my vole attacks.

Any advice on herbivores overall is appreciated... I pretty much have started planting things I think they wouldn't like... strong smell, toxic, tough to chew, etc. But every now and then I really would like to have something I know will probably get chomped on.

I just planted a weeping Louisa crab apple, I pray they don't get her... she is so pretty.

Hope everyone is having a sunny, warm saturday in their gardens!

Nita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here