Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeecabin

Something else is in my garden...?

bumblebeecabin
14 years ago

Okay, I know I have voles, moles... the ocassional armadillo, oppossum, raccoon... bunny rabbits, too.

But I just planted some mondo grass and it was eaten down to the root ... could it be a deer? My neighbor says some have been moving through... but I thought my dogs had been keeping them at a decent radius away from my garden.

I have been waging war with the voles... tried lots of things but only thing slowing them down has been a physical rocky barrier.

The mondo grass did not have any neighboring mole/vole holes nearby... which usually would have led me to believe that it was my favorite underground herbivore. Could a vole snack on my mondo grass DOWN TO the root rather than from the root up?

What eats mondo grass? It reminds me of when I planted some carnations last spring... half were gone after one night... (down to the root again) then the other half was gone the following night.... leaving the root ball. Usually the voles eat the root ball, leaving my plant to suddenly flop over and bring me running, albeit too late.

Could something else be digging and eating my plants in the yard? Help!

Comments (2)