Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

area of garden never gets Sun what to plant?

mushibu10
10 years ago

hello,

so my parents have a long garden, and there is about a quarter of it near house that never gets direct sun, what can I plant there? I am in southwest UK

any flowers that work great with out sun, what about conifers(could I do a conifer "bed") what about a rockery(or do they need Sun?)

thank you

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Most conifers and all rockery plants need sun. What you are looking for are shade-loving plants - hostas, ferns, epimediums, skimmia, sweet box etc.

There is a forum dedicated to this subject - Gardening in Shade - you could direct your questions there. Unless one is experienced, it is sometimes difficult to assess exactly how much shade an area receives and there are various locations that may never receive direct sunlight but are still quite bright. You may be surprised at the range of plants that will grow under those conditions.

The UK has wonderful garden centers that should offer all manner of various plants that could work for you. I'm sure a visit to one in your area will introduce you to staff members that can make all sorts of great suggestions.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

For an online tool you might like to try...

Here is a link that might be useful: RHS Plant Selector

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

gardengal48 has given you a lot of ideas. Hellebores are another plant you could try. And don't just think in terms of flowers. Foliage and shape are going to be just as, in fact more, important than blooms. Also think about colours which will stand out in gloom. Yellow, white, pale pink will work. Dark reds and purples will get lost. But it isn't just a question of planting stuff. You need to design the space and also prepare the ground carefully before you even begin to think about planting. Plus shade near buildings is often dry as well as dark.There are a lot of excellent books about shade gardening which would be well worth looking at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade gardening

Sponsored