Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo guide of deer-resistant plants?

Posted by almatt (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 14:25

I've found lots of text lists on the web of so-called "deer-resistant" plants, but I've struck out at finding a list that includes a picture of each type of plant, so my wife and I can pick out ones we'd want in the garden.

Does anyone know of a website that includes photos with their deer-resistant-plant list?

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo guide of deer-resistant plants?

High Country Gardens. Lady Bird Johnson Gardens.

o

I don't have a complete list, but I post photos of what I grow in my deer resistant garden. On my gardening blog, under Topics, select 'Deer resistant' from the list.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Defining Your Home Garden (my blog)

o

Just browsing here today, but I looked at your blog, Cameron. It looks wonderful! I'd like my yard to look something like that. I have a shady yard, but a big hickory tree has died, so there will be more sun when it's cut down. I've been looking for some evergreen foundation plants to put around my house and have come up with pieris, gaultheria (shallon), leucothoe, daphne and mahonia. I'll do some perennials once the foundations are in, perhaps in the fall. I already have spirea, potentilla, monarda and fothergill which are almost totally deer resistant around here.

Thanks, Florrie

o

Florrie -- did you see my story from a few days ago about growing plants in the lamiaceae family? A lot of the plants that are reliably deer-resistant in my garden are from that same plant family.

Glad you like the blog. I try to make the plant information helpful.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer in Your Garden? Meet the Lamiaceae Family

o

I did see your blog, thanks. Another problem I have is other pests: rabbits in particular. They eat the obedient plant, so I have to cover it with wire. Another thing I noticed is that if a plant is rated "deer resistant" that means the deer won't eat the foliage, but what about the flowers? My "deer resistant" astilbe grows great, but the flowers get nipped, also liriope and rudbeckia.

Plus I have to 150+ lb dogs that like to lie in the freshly turned earth. I put up fences this year.

F

o

Florrie -- I know what you mean-- the deer even nipped off lantana flowers last August. The flowers that are reliably deer resistant for me are the agastache, salvia, nepeta, verbena (homestead and the stick).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here