Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lavender + keeping deer from fruit trees?

Posted by squidy WA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 16:29

I want to keep the deer from eating my two new trees (plum and pear) and I'm reading that lavender repels deer, (among other plants, but lavender is the one I have) but does that just mean they don't eat lavender, or does that mean it actually drives them off? I put some bundles of it in my trees, and I want to know if I should do anything more.

If lavender isn't going to work, I would like solutions that are low-maintenance, like something permanent that I can put in/near the tree... like maybe something I can plant next to it. My lavender bush is too far away. I don't really want to hang shiny things in the trees because it looks a little obnoxious. Unless you think a small wind chime would work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lavender + keeping deer from fruit trees?

Deer do not like lavender, but it will take a lot of lavender to create a mass planting that is sufficient to deter the deer. They don't like to walk through it because they will get the lavender oil on their hair. One lavender plant will not keep them away.

Wind chimes won't work after the first try.

A tall fence, or an organic and non-toxic repellent that won't harm your fruit trees is your best option. I don't use deer repellent, but I use rabbit repellent called "I Must Garden" that can be ordered online and they make a deer repellent, too.

That said, since you have only two trees, you might try a trick that I use to keep deer from plowing through my seeds when they first sprout in the garden:

32" high moveable wire border fence (can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot in my area for about $1 per linear foot) can be used to circle each tree. You just stick the fence in the ground and connect the links to form the circle.
Put the fence 4-5 feet away from the tree.
On the outside of that circle, place another circle of the 32" high wire fence that is 3-4 feet away from the inner circle.
You have to completely close the circles from all sides.

Therefore, you have created TWO low, inexpensive circles of fence around each tree. Deer can jump high, but will not jump wide -- especially since they cannot hit the ground in the small space of 3-4 feet between the two fences.

Those are my suggestions. I have a large deer-resistant flower garden without fences or repellents.

Best wishes! They can be a challenge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here