Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint on a hillside

Posted by sjkly Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 16:36

I have a mostly sunny hillside that gets a lot of dog traffic-the grass has mostly been killed by puppy toenails. I want to plant something there that will act as secure ground cover to help prevent erosion (Its is a created hill with landscape cloth about two inches beneath the soil and a small retaining wall)
Will mint do that? Will it survive the dogs running on it, fill in bare patches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint on a hillside

Mint can grow pretty tall (about 12") when it's flowering. It not only will survive the dogs, it'll creep into the rest of your property and be impossible to get rid of. It's extremely invasive. Your dogs will always smell of mint. Consider all this.

o

And you'll live to regret that landscape cloth. It's a nightmare.

o

Ajuga may work. It also can be invasive but at least by reputation, is easier to control than mint. It is also recommended as an erosion control plant, and is commonly available and easy to reproduce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here