Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice on windbreak

Posted by ashkan1 z5 kansas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 04 at 17:21

I have a dog kennel (personal, not commercial)in the country. I need a fast taller growing dense hedge on the north side, slightly alkaline soil and is hot (100+) and dry in summer and -20 winters in North central Kansas Zone 5, but micro climate is closer to Zone 4 in the winter. Any sugestions? My thumb is not black, just light brown. Prefer a hardy type.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice on windbreak

I would ask your county agent as to what will successfully grow. Alternatively you could look around the area for something you like, photograph it and post it on the Name that Plant! Forum if you need a name and information on it.

o

check out OSAGE ORANGE

they are used as windbrakes in the most severe of conditions and do well there

o

Maybe Thuja occidentalis? One of the varieties grows pretty quick. And they like slightly alkaline soil. Advice to check with county extension agent is good too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here